• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NW scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just finished day number 2 with the scabs. The Captain I am with is a 9 year EAL guy. We pretty much give them the cold shoulder. One guy was trying to sprinkle a little personality around so I farted on him. Just kidding--we blew him off and so did the FA's. Hey all, again I apologize for the rude post I had earlier. There were a couple posts asking about what would happen if the scabs were not there to do the maintenace and what if the guy I beefed on did not make the airplanes work and would I get a paycheck?blah blah blah. My feeling is that if these scabs did not work the airplanes, then AMFA would prevail and that would make me very happy. I would like their plan to work. I would like very much for the flying to slow to a point that management comes back to AMFA with an offer. No I would not get a paycheck and that would be fine with me because it would mean that at least AMFA'S plan had some teeth in it. I just do not think it will happen.

Hey Redmeat, my take on the PFAA situation is that management is bluffing by training replacement FA's. The sheer numbers are overwhelming and I do not think the PFAA is fooled. They are scared, but not fooled.

Hey PW 4000,
I did not get the whole post, but I do support my union. I have gone to bat for ALPA here pretty exhaustively. I agree that given the right conditions, we are replaceable. That has been proved by Pinnacle and Mesaba. I do not say that bitterly. It is just a fact.

Last edited:
Draginass said:
Looks like a bunch of old fat bald Walmart oil-change rejects to me.

I really see no difference in the looks of this group from the looks of the previous group now walking in circles.

Time to dump ALPA

GO TEAMSTERS alteast they stick together and have some balls .

I wish you all the best NWA Mechanics !!!!!

yea Teamsters, that will solve all the problems in the world. How many organizations have decertified the Teamsters? Do a search on Teamsters.

Lear70 said:
So YOU would allow the union to sign an agreement that furloughs half its dues-paying employees and cuts pay for the rest to less than it costs to support their families? That's not a union screwing up, it's a union sticking to the basic needs of its dues-paying members.

But that's EXACTLY what NWA has done... picked off a well-organized, well-run union with to-the-last-day commitment of its members. NWA has done this in the first environment in history that it was possible with waning union support in the nation, outsourcing at its highest level in history, and fear causing the other unions to retract into their self-deluding shells and ignore the BLATANT FACT that THEIR UNION IS NEXT.

Should cleaners make $40,000 a year? Probably not. Should mechanics make $60,000 a year? Absolutely. True, AMFA's original proposal was a pay raise, but the last-ditch effort from AMFA WAS A CONCESSIONARY AGREEMENT! But Northwest made unreasonable demands, knowing the union wouldn't sign, and therefore walked AMFA right into a carefully-orchestrated path towards union breakup, bankruptcy, and pension cutting... for ALL its employees... but I've been saying NWA was going to do this for about 2 years now.

Lear,

Even though I called you names and then you called me names, gotta agree 98% with this one. Still think that 40k is a barely liveable wage in today's economy though.

KigAir said:
SWA Aircraft Appearance Technicians are making $10.29/hr:

That would be first year pay at SWA, and I don't think there are any NWA cleaners on 1st year pay. After 5 years at SWA the pay is currently $16.13/hr, and at 40 hours a week that would be $33,550 with no other over rides. So 40k could be in the ballpark, but like NWA they are covered by AMFA.

Some people are consumed what a cleaner's makes then be a cleaner. quit crying about it. Sure is a lot of cry babies here

Having operated in and out of a NWA Hub, This strike is transparent to the operations of the Airline. Looking at the monitors today, NO canceled flights. Either the Union grossly overestimated thier position, or The Company played thier hand very well. The ease of which Scabs were trained and the even easier path they are allowed to work speaks loudly. This is a different playing field, and with a depressed Airline Economy with the Stigma of scabbing seemingly removed, its going to be hard for traditional means to get the job done.

However, I think Unions, like any other Business, must adapt. A unified voice for an employee group is not out moded, it must become that much more shrewd. Maybe the strike, where you basically give the company the reins, is not as effective in every case. Maybe keeping a hold of the reins, but engaging and demonstrating the influence of the employee group over Day to Day operations would be more effective. Whether it be a day of Normal ops, than a day of Fly the Contract type thing, or refusing to fly extra, pick up overtime, live with that gripe one more leg type thing, etc.

fines or no pay during a Strike? Seems a wash at this point.

Just some sleep deprived ramblings. Worth what you paid for it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back