NW/DL (and ultimately affecting ALL of us): The Flaw With "Career Expectations"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
VOR-

Why must you make so many of statements in bold-faced type? Most of us can read.

I do agree with you that arguing career expectations is quite ridiculous. I also agree that this is a merger rather than acquisition. However, I do think it is important to look at how the two pilot groups differ on their current quality of life. I just don't feel it is reasonable to give a NWA DC-9 Captain the opportunity to immediately bid 757 when he was not able to do so at NWA. Conversely, I don't think that it is reasonable for a DAL guy to argue that NWA should take a hit because they had so many DC-9's. The two carriers had slightly different missions, which is a major factor in why this is a good fit. You cannot penalize either side for that.

Some sort of equal merger of DOH with fences seems to be the most equitable for BOTH sides. Both sides can argue the minutia if they like, but I think they would be missing the point. Both companies together make a great comapny to compete in the future. A great company in the future will provide for great future opportunities. Focus on that.

What on earth are you talking about? The NWA guys got brought up to our pay rates yesterday. All NWA guys who got furloughed (their own company did not recognize their years of furlough as years of service) got their longevity increased from 1 or 2 years to 8 or so years- they were already getting a large pay bump as it was and then add that to it.

When the merger was announced doesnt matter in regards to newhires. It could have been shot down at any time. It is only when the merger goes through that anything counts.

I can now see it is pointless for those who rabidly want DL to dominate to respond because the keep changing the subject back to the former furloughees (which is NOT what I am talking about), same old bogus talking points, and distracting from what I am ACTUALLY asking about...

Obviously they don't want the info (AS NOTED) to come to light for a reason.

Hopefully the NWA union is on the ball and doesn't miss the disparity for in the new hire demographic longevity, as there will be one bubble of NW guys at the bottom being treated as "less than" (in terms of longevity, and by default where they will fall on the new list) the DL guys hired after them, and NOT EVEN YET hireds below them all.

Meanwhile....keep spewing distractions and BS like Obama and maybe the sheeple will fall in line and believe it all

VOR-

Why must you make so many of statements in bold-faced type? Most of us can read.

I do agree with you that arguing career expectations is quite ridiculous. I also agree that this is a merger rather than acquisition. However, I do think it is important to look at how the two pilot groups differ on their current quality of life. I just don't feel it is reasonable to give a NWA DC-9 Captain the opportunity to immediately bid 757 when he was not able to do so at NWA. Conversely, I don't think that it is reasonable for a DAL guy to argue that NWA should take a hit because they had so many DC-9's. The two carriers had slightly different missions, which is a major factor in why this is a good fit. You cannot penalize either side for that.

Some sort of equal merger of DOH with fences seems to be the most equitable for BOTH sides. Both sides can argue the minutia if they like, but I think they would be missing the point. Both companies together make a great comapny to compete in the future. A great company in the future will provide for great future opportunities. Focus on that.

Well said. Unfortunately our brothers see NWA as a pinata they just busted open and they are going for the big grab.

I can now see it is pointless for those who rabidly want DL to dominate to respond because the keep changing the subject back to the former furloughees (which is NOT what I am talking about), same old bogus talking points, and distracting from what I am ACTUALLY asking about...

Obviously they don't want the info (AS NOTED) to come to light for a reason.

Hopefully the NWA union is on the ball and doesn't miss the disparity for in the new hire demographic longevity, as there will be one bubble of NW guys at the bottom being treated as "less than" (in terms of longevity, and by default where they will fall on the new list) the DL guys hired after them, and NOT EVEN YET hireds below them all.

Meanwhile....keep spewing distractions and BS like Obama and maybe the sheeple will fall in line and believe it all

Again... it's all pops and whistles over here. What are you talking about? Are you referencing the DL proposed list?

If you hold the same relative percentage after the integration that you held before the seniority integration, then your QOL and bidding abilities will not be affected. If you're trying to get anything more than what you already have, you are contributing to the "me first" attitude that's accelerating the downward spiral of the piloting profession.

Straight relative seniority will hurt the QOL for Delta pilots, because at the bottom end they are exposed to the DC-9 and less desirable bases.

I fully agree that neither group should gain or lose in the areas of QOL (pay, schedule, base and equipment, etc.). Straight relative seniority will skew the QOL heavily in favor of the NWA group and would be a huge win for them.

gENERAL, We slowed down hiring so that our "big thing" could fit into the little hole Delta made for us.

Delta kept expanding to keep the costs on the DAL side of the balance sheet, so that the NWA investors get a reasonable return on the twenty or so NWA subsidiaries. Of course this is just MHO, I satyed in a Holiday Inn last night.

Well said. Unfortunately our brothers see NWA as a pinata they just busted open and they are going for the big grab.

You mean the one that almost immeadiately allows a reserve DC-9 f/o to go into a line holder widebody f/o position?
You are dilusional!

Voice Of Reason said:
Spot on analogy...that's how it looks from the outside as well.

So are you!

Latest resources

Back