Ntsb Notes First Officer's Failure....in 2003 Fedex Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SUNDOWN said:
... If she was weak....as it apears, I am sure she will or has been dealt with.

Just like the woman who failed her initial checkride 5 times at UAL?

Oh yeah, she passed on the sixth try and is currently a B744 F/O.

Or the dude who missed the radio towers on Mt. San Bruno (SFO) by 40 feet (UAL B744). I believe he too still has a job!

GP

habubuaza said:
She was hired prior to PRIA taking effect. That information was provided in the accident report.

Thanks for pointing that out. Although based on previous statements, who knows if PRIA would have made a difference.

I suspect it would have based on the liability issue, but you never know.

720degpersec said:
Fedex hired her after flying the Dash-8 ???

Kind of a big jump in size, speed and complexity, between a Dash-8 and an MD-11....Oh well all that counts is the number of hours and the right gender, to be hired I guess...

Check this video and compare it to a medium turbo-prop landing...

http://www.flightlevel350.com/public_viewer.php?cat=76&pic=2569

Lots of other cargo operators flying DC-10/md-11s and 747s do just fine with new-hires who have only flown medium size turpoprops. You don't need jet time.

GuppyPuppy said:
Just like the woman who failed her initial checkride 5 times at UAL?

Oh yeah, she passed on the sixth try and is currently a B744 F/O.

Or the dude who missed the radio towers on Mt. San Bruno (SFO) by 40 feet (UAL B744). I believe he too still has a job!

GP

Unbelievable!
Hey I like the idea of a JNU base GuppyPuppy!

What a disapointment this whole web site is. I just signed up and will not be returning, based on threads like this, started by Neanderthals, supported by the ignorant.

Buh-bye. . .

Yank McCobb said:
Ignorance comes in many forms, however most of them are as predictable as the sunrise.
So does naivity.
The plane doesn't know or care if the manipulator of the controls has a penis or a vagina. Unfortunately, the same doesn't hold true for hiring or training departments.
All that stuff aside, when I asked my buddy at FedEx what happened in MEM that day, with a totally serious look, he said "I heard there was********". It took a second for me to get it before I started howling.

Inconceivable said:
Disclaimer: my wife is a pilot also and flies like a freaking machine. But if you think you get pi$$ed about "bad women pilots" being promoted beyond their ability, bring it up with a chick who actually CAN fly--and has to prove herself to the rest of her her whole career because of them.
The qualified are the truest victims of affirmative action, regardless of profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is proof of the fact that sexism is still alive and well in aviation. Perhaps women do need some sort of preferential hiring because of attitudes so clearly stated in previous threads.

The fact is that women pilots are less than 6% of all of aviators. Last number I heard of ATP's was hovering around 2.8%. That information was from 1998 so let's conservatively bump that to about 5%.

If 5% is what's keeping you from doing anything in your life. Perhaps you should turn all that energy around and focus on yourself.

Its hard to go to work and be judged by appearance despite ability or experience. That's why women network: to give each other support and encouragement.

I don't normally post. I don't know this Fedex FO either. I was just getting nauseous by some of the posts. I had to represent.

Latest resources

Back