Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not that old and I'm not that young,

But will you be too old when 2017 comes rolling around?:D

I've heard one report that some bird remains were found in one engine, I presume the one that was still attached, and also that the other engine has been recovered.

I was concerned that any evidence of bird ingestion may have been washed off by the time any analysis could be started - a strange thing to hope for I guess, but hopefully, they'll find some goose chunks in the left engine as well. Should stave off at least a good percentage of the suit-happy among those involved.

At the same time, I'm sure at least some of those $5k checks will go uncashed for a little while...

I think any decomposition remaining from the detached engine should still be able to yield some pheasant DNA trapped inside the stages or core.

Wow- USAirways truly is amazing. Even in the midst of a crash that highlighted the true professionalism and skill demanded by this profession, you guys still managed to squeez in the obligatory USAPA-East-West garbage. Can it not be put to rest for a single USAirways post?

Very interesting. The story contends that this same ship number returned to base as a result of repeated compressor stalls within 48 hours prior of the accident.

No it didn't! A PA was made which said they MIGHT need to land at the nearest airport, but they continued to CLT.

Move along now...

But will you be too old when 2017 comes rolling around?:D

I've heard one report that some bird remains were found in one engine, I presume the one that was still attached, and also that the other engine has been recovered.

I was concerned that any evidence of bird ingestion may have been washed off by the time any analysis could be started - a strange thing to hope for I guess, but hopefully, they'll find some goose chunks in the left engine as well. Should stave off at least a good percentage of the suit-happy among those involved.

At the same time, I'm sure at least some of those $5k checks will go uncashed for a little while...

I think the technology is there to determine how thick the bone was that scratched or bent an internal engine part. All they need is a smudge of bird residue (some thing lodged in a tight nook or cranny) and DNA will tell them what group of birds became ingested. Here's what I think it was:
http://www.zoomdinosaurs.com/subjects/dinosaurs/dinos/Quetzalcoatlus.shtml
It's wing-span was just under 36 feet wide (10.96 m). It was the largest flying animal ever found. It had hollow bones, was lightly built, and had a small body. Even though it was very big, it probably weighed only about 300 pounds (135 kg). It had toothless jaws and a long, thin beak. The neck was 10 feet (3 m) long. The legs were over 7 feet (2.1 m) in length, as was the long head.

Now that will stop an engine!

D
[SIZE=+1]inosaurs worries aside , I find the previously reported compressor stalls (from another flt.) more concerning...
I hope that was all properly documented and addressed to a point where no correlation can be made with the Hudson River tour.

I'm sure the sharks are already circling in anticipation.
[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Heres an interesting question....If what now appears to be fact that "Birds" brought down this jet liner, wouldn't this be considered an "Act of God" occurrence, hence negating the possibilities of any law suits??....Just wandering????????????

I wonder if the FO's flying will come into judgment.

Perhaps they may speculate that the FO with only 35 hrs. in type, may have been more focused on properly flying the profile and DP and less on looking outside.

An interesting comment made by the FO and related by K. Higgins was that the FO's initial reaction was to "duck." She stated that he didn't but that's what one might do approaching a large flock of birds. Perhaps he either didn't have enough time to react, but they may question how much heads up he had during the departure and whether he may have had ample time to perform a mild evasive maneuver to avoid the birds. It's been stated somewhere that the birds were captured on the ATC radar. They may correlate their ability to have seen and reacted with the flocks proximity.

This may be a far stretch and moot, but just thought I'd mention it. A plane is a plane after all, especially with 20K.

"Duck"

So did he say "duck" as in "lower your head so it doesn't get taken off by this rapidly approaching object!" Or did he say "duck" as a generic term for waterfowl, because after all, saying "Look Captain, Branta Canadensis!" would have just sounded stupid.

[SIZE=+1]I find the previously reported compressor stalls (from another flt.) more concerning... [/SIZE]

Which is exactly why I hope the left engine got "goosed" as well. I do find it strange that in a two engine aircraft, a flight would be continued to destination following a compressor stall on departure. Of course, we don't know the flight conditions at the time, or what any corrective action might have been taken inflight or at CLT afterwards, but if the situation was properly written up and signed off, and especially since the aircraft apparently operated a few legs cleanly before the Hudson got involved, then USAirways as well as the crew of a few days before and Sully's crew should be cleared of anything bad. Hope so, anyway.

And Amish, I hope your point is moot as well, but you never know how things could get spun in cases like this. Some folks can't help but make up their own news if nothing real comes up to report on. I've hit plenty of birds over the years and only once did I have any time to react in such a way to keep from hitting that particular flock.

Latest resources

Back