• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NPA Hat Survey

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying is the new Greyhound. People used to wear suits and dresses. Now they wear sweatpants and flip-flops. Maybe Mickey and Goofy weren't good examples. The folks see two dorks wearing their pilot uniforms and other than that couldn't care less. When's the last time somebody stopped you and said "damn you look so darn professional in that uniform." Half the time they don't know if we're pilots, skycaps, flight attendants, or friggin busdrivers.

It appears you might have issues.

This industry has evoloved just like others. In order to expand and grow, ticket prices had to come down, so more people, who normaly would not... will. many of those people probably don't own a suit.

But does that mean you alter your dress code? Do the pax have to dress well so you'll dress well?

The uniform is one part of the image. Behavior, attitude, demeanor, character, and service is part of it as well.

Just a month ago i was compliment for my appearance by an old couple.they put a smile on my face and i put one on theirs.
Why pilots don't take proud of their personal appearance is beyond me.

Quite often I have come right out and told the pax what the deal was... why we were delayed. I don't sugar coat it, yet still tactful and reassuring.

I've gotten more compliments from this M.O. This one time (at band camp :) ) a significant wx delay.. we came into the terminal and talked face to face with the pax. An old man who said he'd been flying for years stated he never had a pilot do that...

Of course... if you are going to talk face to face with the pax in a upfront, truthful manner.... its best to have your uniform looking..... fairly well.

Dude, I wear what I'm required to wear.

My point was the passengers don't really care as long as they get a cheap ticket. Passengers have complimented me on the smooth ride, great landing, etc. Not once in 17 years have they complimetnted me or anyone in the crew I was with on how we were dressed.

You probably wear your hat on the throne.

Dude, I wear what I'm required to wear.

That is the point. So you do only what you are required to do? That is indicative of a skilled worker. Not a professional nor a leader.

My point was the passengers don't really care as long as they get a cheap ticket.

Quote the post. This has already been covered and disputed. How do you know this....?? This is merely justiftication on your own mind... which is

"the pax really don't care...... so why should I"...

Passengers have complimented me on the smooth ride, great landing, etc.

That is expected. Big deal... we all do that....

Not once in 17 years have they complimetnted me or anyone in the crew I was with on how we were dressed.

Maybe that is a hint...

You probably wear your hat on the throne.

If it helps you feel better about yourself.... ok...sure... :rolleyes:

The concern is individual apathy effects us all....

It's a clue that our uniforms all look the same, sure I guess so. What else should I do besides wear what Im required to? Dude get over it, the days of people fawning over an airline pilot walking down the terminal are over!

The hat is outdated and campy. It looks like a movie prop and takes away from professionalism. IMHO.

It seems like the guys who wear it with pride are the same guys who wear their unifom into the grocery store. They probably have personalized license plates with some sort of aviation reference, a wooden prop hanging on the wall at home and the metal alloy version of their AC on the desk.

It's a clue that our uniforms all look the same, sure I guess so. What else should I do besides wear what Im required to? Dude get over it, the days of people fawning over an airline pilot walking down the terminal are over!

**sigh**

it is the way many wear it.... sloppy and apathetically... you probably don't.

It is not about having pax fawn over you in the terminal. It is about wearing the uniform well as a standard. Is that so difficult? To do what is expected of you? To do what you agreed to...

The hat is outdated and campy. It looks like a movie prop and takes away from professionalism. IMHO.

Can you explain your humble opinion? How does the hat take away from professionalism? And while you are at it... what is air line pilot professionalism?

It seems like the guys who wear it with pride are the same guys who wear their unifom into the grocery store. They probably have personalized license plates with some sort of aviation reference, a wooden prop hanging on the wall at home and the metal alloy version of their AC on the desk.

What does that mean?

I think the guys that wear the hat are either bald and/or proud of the profession and want to be recognized as a professional Air Line Pilot. I didn't bust tail to viewed as a stewardess. (yes, the pax still call 'em stewardesses). Do you like being viewed as a light loafer?

Simply put guys don't wear the hat cause they are embarassed. Embarrassed that the profession hasn't provided them the status and pay they expected. Which shows they became air line pilots for what the profession can do for them....

I did a rough survey... about 80% of the guys at my regional that got hired by a major/legacy in the recent 2007-08 wave .....wore hats.....

Keep in mind.... when they interviewed the HR rep and interviewing pilots didn't know they wore hats..

It is the mindset and atittude....

Opinions vary... I still get the occasional mom pointing the pilot out to their small child... but only when I have the hat on.

Call it what you want. In my experience, the people who complain the loudest about the hat fall into two categories: those who can't be bothered to volunteer for union positions to help their fellow pilots (and themselves) in any way possible and just want to do their "job" and go home, and those who simply look like crap in their uniform (don't iron their shirts, bring one shirt for an entire 5 day rotation, have food stains on their tie from 4 trips back at Moe's, etc).

There are always exceptions to the rule, but by and far, that seems to be the standard.

Incidentally, I don't wear my uniform to the store (although if I have to stop on my way home after a trip, I take off anything identifying and leave the hat in the car), but I do happen to have a very nice bronze small 727 on my desk that was a gift when I upgraded on it back in 2000 and I'd actually love to have a house with a big office, bookshelves, and room for an old wooden prop on the wall.

I'm still proud that I'm a 3rd generation pilot. There's a lot of history everyone else trashes, which is probably why we lack the solidarity to improve our lot in life.

Read the NPA's quote of the week in the blast email you got today. That's EXACTLY how I feel, and how I live my life.

Gentlemen are you kidding me! This hat survey is so damn trivial! We wonder why our profession has gone down the tubes? Management has to be laughing at us again! There are so many issues with our current contract! I would rather be focusing my energy and getting information on how we can fix those problems. NOTE: we don't need a TA to fix the SAP2 Flica mess, we don't need a TA to fix the crappy hotels we stay in and how they are selected, we don't need a TA to fix the side letters of agreements that have been negotiated that we as a whole pilot group never receive so we know there is a change, and we don't need a TA to fix scheduling violations of our current CBA. My point, these are issues that we need to be focusing on now until a new TA is reached. I want to fix these issues now and I want management to know these are my concerns and this is what affects me daily when I come to work. Given the choice of fixing some of these issues with management or wearing or not wearing some damn hat, I would settle for fixing the above. What are our priorities here?

Folks consolidation is about to happen. It looks like Delta and Northwest have resolved a lot of their initial issues and will be making an announcement sometime this upcoming week around the time of their board meeting. Continental and United will be next and given the recent comments of Gary Kelley, Southwest may be jumping in the game soon after. (personally, I believe if Southwest jumps in the game, their target will be AirTran) Point: NPA and pilots of AirTran, we need to focus the next couple of months on getting our house in order! We will need to be united given the next couple of months and I don't think wearing or not wearing a hat is all that important. Lets address the real issues that face are pilot group.

If that old Captain with the beer belly and the grey Hulk Hogan mustache I see around Concourse C can wear a hat, everybody can.

Yeah ! root a toot toot !

Latest resources

Back