now they finally pay attention.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimmyKool

"Federal investigators hammered Colgan Air executives about the pay of their pilots — in 24-year-old Shaw's case, she made between $16,000 and $20,000 a year, according to testimony — as well as whether they were discouraged from getting second jobs and felt pressure by the company not to call in sick."

Don't be fooled...nothing will change.

Professional pilots deserve a professional wage. No pilot should have to work at Starbucks in their down time just to pay the bills.

I did the low pay thing for years at Great Lakes so I could climb the ladder, so maybe I'm part of the problem too....

LOL! They just got grilled about how one can live in EWR with $16,000/yr, and the answer? Well, we are pretty much just a stepping stone for a major!

If history repeats itself (as it usually does), the NTSB will expose all the factors, make the necessary recommendations, and the FAA will wait until the public has moved onto something more important (i.e. Britanny Spears getting arrested), and make no meaningful changes.

Here are a few things that need to be addressed (in no particular order):

- green on green, especially when there is a new aircraft type on property
- unreasonably punitive attendance policies for crew members
- commuter clauses for EVERY carrier. Most of us can't afford places like New York and L.A. on $16K a year, so we commute from someplace we can afford. Why be penalized for it?
- CASS for every carrier (same reason stated above)
- higher time for upgrade. I've seen too many captains who should still be FO's

I can keep going, but much of the obvious stuff has already been discussed on here ad nauseum. Be careful out there . . .

Ha ha, the stepping stone thing is dead now. some pilots today will never leave their regional job. the goal to move on at a major may never become reality for most. a sad thought. hopefully things change and i am wrong.

Professional pilots deserve a professional wage. No pilot should have to work at Starbucks in their down time just to pay the bills.

I did the low pay thing for years at Great Lakes so I could climb the ladder, so maybe I'm part of the problem too....

When regional pilots start acting like professionals then you can make that argument. These two were hardly "professional" pilots.

- higher time for upgrade. I've seen too many captains who should still be FO's

I got news for you. Plenty of these guys won't be helped by higher requirements for upgrade. I've flown with a few with over 10,000 hours that did not demonstrate good judgment. That being said, I've flown with CA's that have less time than I do I was extremely impressed with their judgment.

When regional pilots start acting like professionals then you can make that argument. These two were hardly "professional" pilots.

Not speaking about 3407 yet but this is why I've lost my sanity. For F#&K sake get rid of the G0damn hairgell and ipods. Quit plastering yourselves on overnights, iron that f*&ing garbage bag looking shirt, take off those ridiculous designer shades and read a f&*king manual from time to time! Above all wipe that MTV nurtured Ed Hardy wearing sense of entitlement of your front bumper and grill before I mop the floors of the lavatory with your test tube rejected a$$. I've had it...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back