Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Nothing but Gray Skies" article.. good read until the end.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
I A printed retraction might be enough.

A printed retaction is the minimum required here. Anything less is unacceptable to me. I am insulted, this gentelmen needs to publicly deny this.

SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
Pilots' Association
March 7, 2006

Captain Duane E. Woerth, President, ALPA
535 Herndon Parkway Herndon, VA 20170

Dear Duane,

On Monday, March 6 an article authored by Matthew Wald, New York Times writer, quoted a Southwest Airlines' pilot in an article entitled "Nothing but Gray Skies " After speaking to the reporter personally on at least two occasions today and speaking to the pilot who was "quoted" in the article I'm confident the reporter for some unknown reason included inaccurate and unsubstantiated comments attributed to a Southwest Airlines' pilot.

1. When asked several times today, the reporter could not recall specifically the time and place he allegedly interviewed the Southwest Airlines' pilot.. He was asked in very specific terms and was given several opportunities to confirm the precise comments he created to the pilot. He could not confirm they occurred as printed.
2. The reporter did call SWAPA for a comment in late .January in regards to another topic. He spoke to a SWAPA staff member who has a record of the call,. No information was passed to the reporter other than an acknowledgement of his request for information that would be passed to the appropriate individuals.
3 The reporter stated he was given the pilot's name by a SWAPA staff member, however the SWAPA staff' member confirmed this did not occur. It is the policy of SWAPA to never release the name of members to outside agencies; this includes the press.
4 The Captain involved was never interviewed by this reporter in regards to this story The Captain categorically denies the statements attributed to him.

The press can be your friend; however in this case Mr. Wald got it wrong. The alleged quotes reported by Mr. Wald in no way reflect the views or opinions of the Southwest Airlines' pilots SWAPA appreciates what all pilots have sacrificed to save their airlines and works cooperatively on many levels with ALPA, APA and all professional pilot organizations. SWAPA is contacting the paper to request a retraction and is pursuing other avenues to correct the inaccurate reporting which occurred

Best regards,
Joseph "Ike" Eichelkraut President, SWAPA
Brookview Plaza 0 1450 Empire Central Dr Suite 737 0 Dallas TX 75247
Phone: 214..350-9237 • Tollfree: 800-969-7972 . Fax: 214-350-0647 s www swapa org

user_online.gif

Last edited:
Falcon Jet 1 said:
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
Pilots' Association
March 7, 2006

Dear Duane,

On Monday, March 6 an article authored by Matthew Wald, New York Times writer, quoted a Southwest Airlines' pilot in an article entitled "Nothing but Gray Skies " After speaking to the reporter personally on at least two occasions today and speaking to the pilot who was "quoted" in the article I'm confident the reporter for some unknown reason included inaccurate and unsubstantiated comments attributed to a Southwest Airlines' pilot.

1. When asked several times today, the reporter could not recall specifically the time and place he allegedly interviewed the Southwest Airlines' pilot.. He was asked in very specific terms and was given several opportunities to confirm the precise comments he created to the pilot. He could not confirm they occurred as printed.
2. The reporter did call SWAPA for a comment in late .January in regards to another topic. He spoke to a SWAPA staff member who has a record of the call,. No information was passed to the reporter other than an acknowledgement of his request for information that would be passed to the appropriate individuals.
3 The reporter stated he was given the pilot's name by a SWAPA staff member, however the SWAPA staff' member confirmed this did not occur. It is the policy of SWAPA to never release the name of members to outside agencies; this includes the press.
4 The Captain involved was never interviewed by this reporter in regards to this story The Captain categorically denies the statements attributed to him.

The press can be your friend; however in this case Mr. Wald got it wrong. The alleged quotes reported by Mr. Wald in no way reflect the views or opinions of the Southwest Airlines' pilots SWAPA appreciates what all pilots have sacrificed to save their airlines and works cooperatively on many levels with ALPA, APA and all professional pilot organizations. SWAPA is contacting the paper to request a retraction and is pursuing other avenues to correct the inaccurate reporting which occurred

Best regards,
Phone: 214..350-9237 • Tollfree: 800-969-7972 . Fax: 214-350-0647 s www swapa org

http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif [URL="http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif"]http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif[/URL]

Good for them, this is the right course to take IMHO.

Not everyone agrees that the longer working schedule is a problem. "It's hard for me to feel sorry for them," said Jeffrey Hefner, the safety chairman of the union that represents pilots at Southwest Airlines, who have always flown longer hours than pilots at older airlines.
"They're a bunch of spoiled brats," he said. "Historically, this has been a really cushy job once you get to the majors. You make a lot of money, and you don't have to fly a lot. But there had to be a market balancing at some point

Like I said SWA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...don't bother getting on my jumpseat. You're mentality at the top says it all

ah-ah-ah....

Last edited by a moderator:
Letter from the President of SWAPA

First of all to those who were willing to give the benefit of the doubt to a fellow pilot and to the pilots of SWAPA before spears were thrown, thanks. You are a credit to the profession. Cool heads need to prevail when dealing with "quotes" from the 4th estate.

SWAPA spent the day doing the necessary research to get the straight facts and preparing the reply you see above. I would ask each of you to contact your jumpseat point of contact and forward the contents of this letter to each of them in order to ensure SWA pilots are not denied any jumpseat rides by those few who might wish to take their anger out on jumpseating pilots for comments that turn out to be false. Additionally, pls cut & paste if you wish the contents of this letter & post it in your crew lounges so others can see the "facts" surrounding this article. The letter sums up quite well SWAPA's reaction and what steps are being taken to correct this situation. ALPA & APA representatives have also been notified of this response to the article. I'll withhold my comments about the author since my mother always taught me, "if you can't something nice about someone, don't say anything at all".

Thanks to sleeves & falconjet for posting the letter. Good on ya.

Last edited:
Like I said SWA shootbird motherFrickers...don't bother getting on my jumpseat. You're mentality at the top says it all

Abhorrent, invidious... shall we call you loser now or do you still think we should give you the benefit of the doubt?

Thanks Chase,

As the old Top Gun movie saying goes "tensions are high". I think we are ALL high strung right now. It seems as pilots we are continuously in someone's cross-hairs. Thanks for setting the record straight.

AAflyer

Falcon Jet 1 said:
SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
Pilots' Association
March 7, 2006

Dear Duane,

Best regards,

http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/statusicon/user_online.gif http://www.pprune.org/forums/images/buttons/report.gif

I'm no SWAPA fan, but I do have to give SWAPA credit for a classy response to the situation and a friendly letter to ALPA's President. Definitely a good job.

Quoting my own first post from earlier today:

... OMG. Did he really say this?

Answer: no.

Kudos to SWAPA for getting right on this.

The NY Times -- still on the cutting edge of truthiness.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back