Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Nothing but Gray Skies" article.. good read until the end.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duty Days at SWA vs. Legacy

I have friends at SWA and I would give my right arm to have their schedule.

They are productive. When a legacy pilot complains about work days and long duty days he is complaining about a lot of un-productive time. We sit around in hubs. If you do this several times a day it can really wear you down.

Southwest prides itself on quick turn times. The pilots are able to block out in fewer days and have more time off. Senior SWA pilots are not working 18 day months. unless they want to. Throw in commuting, due to the changes in domicile staffing that many legacy pilots have had to put up with, and you are in fact very weary after several months of that type of life.

Southwest pilots would feel the same way if they worked that schedule. They are luck enough to be scheduled in a much more efficient manner. The union rep would sing a different tune if he were at another carrier.

I agree. Nice article but the end made me cringe. Douchebag! I hear a glimmer of subconscious envy in his comments.

Groucho said:
I have friends at SWA and I would give my right arm to have their schedule.

They are productive. When a legacy pilot complains about work days and long duty days he is complaining about a lot of un-productive time. We sit around in hubs. If you do this several times a day it can really wear you down.

Southwest prides itself on quick turn times. The pilots are able to block out in fewer days and have more time off. Senior SWA pilots are not working 18 day months. unless they want to. Throw in commuting, due to the changes in domicile staffing that many legacy pilots have had to put up with, and you are in fact very weary after several months of that type of life.

Southwest pilots would feel the same way if they worked that schedule. They are luck enough to be scheduled in a much more efficient manner. The union rep would sing a different tune if he were at another carrier.

Well said. The hub and spoke system will always play an important role in providing a complete aviation transportation system. It is vital to the international side of the business and the smaller cities. However, the greater inefficiencies brought on by increased turn times, sitting and so forth will always be there. Since the revenue generated does not cover those inherent inefficiencies like it used to, we legacy employees have essentially been put in the unfortunate position of attempting to offset it with the pay / benefit and work rules we now operate under.

Are you informed by the facts? Relying on the media to hang your brothers?

Sorry to disapoint you all...... At first read it is alarming.....

However, like the rest of you professionals, I don't accpet one source of information as fact. And I always give my fellow pilots the benefit of the doubt, just like I'd want them to give to me.

So, like any of you, I called the SWAPA offices and spoke to the S/T of SWAPA. SWAPA has called out the reporter. Jeff Hefner never recalls speaking to this guy as he is not media trained. It is shock journalism designed to sensationalize. Don't fall for it.

In addition, SWAPA is talking to ALPA to ensure the SWA pilots aren't bashing anyone, USAIR for example.

Finally, I told the S/T that I would communicate the FACTS with my fellow pilots in the crewrooms...

Get informed, get educated. Our ignorance is eroding us from within....

Anyone who is dumb enought to take anything a media outlet prints at face value is, well, dumb! Unless you were present at the time of the interview then you have failed to realize fabricated controversy sells.

Most of the SWA pilots I used to chat with worked long hours, flew alot of legs and were pretty tired at the end of the night.

Groucho said:
Southwest prides itself on quick turn times. The pilots are able to block out in fewer days and have more time off. Senior SWA pilots are not working 18 day months. unless they want to.

I, too, don't believe the SWA person said those things.

Most lines at SWA are 12-14 days a month working. 15 for reserve. Top half of the list includes many 3 4-day or 4 3-day lines. Block seems to be 75-90 month. What are you guys doing? No flame, just wondering. Trying to compare apples to apples.

Last edited:
pgcfii2002 said:
Most of the SWA pilots I used to chat with worked long hours, flew alot of legs and were pretty tired at the end of the night.

You are very right. I only hate it when the bar is already closed when I get in.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Are you informed by the facts? Relying on the media to hang your brothers?

Sorry to disapoint you all...... At first read it is alarming.....

However, like the rest of you professionals, I don't accpet one source of information as fact. And I always give my fellow pilots the benefit of the doubt, just like I'd want them to give to me.

So, like any of you, I called the SWAPA offices and spoke to the S/T of SWAPA. SWAPA has called out the reporter. Jeff Hefner never recalls speaking to this guy as he is not media trained. It is shock journalism designed to sensationalize. Don't fall for it.

In addition, SWAPA is talking to ALPA to ensure the SWA pilots aren't bashing anyone, USAIR for example.

Finally, I told the S/T that I would communicate the FACTS with my fellow pilots in the crewrooms...

Get informed, get educated. Our ignorance is eroding us from within....

Then I hope SWAPA and Mr. Hefner are taking the nessasary steps toward Legal Action, and a public press release.

sleeves said:
Then I hope SWAPA and Mr. Hefner are taking the nessasary steps toward Legal Action, and a public press release.

I believe the SWA pilots are realistic and pragmatic. A printed retraction might be enough. These things happen. Live isn't fair, choose your battles.

The question is...will the guys that slammed JH and SWAPA on this thread............edit? Or will they continue to let thier post....define themselves...:D

.:beer:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back