Not looking good at FLYi

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fromage said:
The high failure rate of FlyI pilots in Airbus training has led them to outsource the flying to RyanAir. I believe that it is a fee-for departure. RyanAir has also taken all of the good looking flight attendants and left the ugly ones to crew the CRJ's.

News to me. I guess I should hand my type-rating back and stop doing those red-eyes.

I can vouch for what AZ Typed said. As usual, FlyI tried to re-invent the wheel with it's Airbus operations. The most frustrating thing is the fact that we are the only airine out of 150+ operators that uses a manual paper-based w&b calculation. The FO basically takes the FEX written before every pushback because a bean-counter decided an automated system in a $30 million airplane did not make sense. Lots of fun when the gate keeps sending stragglers down a minute before push and the rampers throw more bags on at the last minute. Needless to say a lot of flights leave the gate late (and management wonders why.)

As far as training goes, however, the failure rate is unusually low for ACA (sorry, FlyI)

Temp Bulletins are issued only to be corrected a few weeks later (just to make your manual a complete mess.)

Now they are harassing pilots for calling in sick and actually mentioning it in the Daily Briefing Company propaganda rag.

That's why FlyI will never succeed. The same middle management we've always had.

Great pilot group though -- what's left of it.

PS: Fromage is obviously a troll. But you have to admit, from reading this and some other threads, he's one of the better ones. Not as mean-spirited at Mickey. BTW Mickey, you should listen to Coldplay's newest album -- it might make yiou a nicer person.

Last edited:
GogglesPisano said:
I can vouch for what AZ Typed said. As usual, FlyI tried to re-invent the wheel with it's Airbus operations. The most frustrating thing is the fact that we are the only airine out of 150+ operators that uses a manual paper-based w&b calculation. The FO basically takes the FEX written before every pushback because a bean-counter decided an automated system in a $30 million airplane did not make sense. Lots of fun when the gate keeps sending stragglers down a minute before push and the rampers throw more bags on at the last minute. Needless to say a lot of flights leave the gate late (and management wonders why.)

As far as training goes, however, the failure rate is unusually low for ACA (sorry, FlyI)

Temp Bulletins are issued only to be corrected a few weeks later (just to make your manual a complete mess.)

Now they are harassing pilots for calling in sick and actually mentioning it in the Daily Briefing Company propaganda rag.

That's why FlyI will never succeed. The same middle management we've always had.

Great pilot group though -- what's left of it.

PS: Fromage is obviously a troll. But you have to admit, from reading this and some other threads, he's one of the better ones. Not as mean-spirited at Mickey. BTW Mickey, you should listen to Coldplay's newest album -- it might make yiou a nicer person.

Yep...the reasons stated above are why 600+ guys are furloughed. I still can't believe management wants concessions. I'm still keeping the Flyi sticker on the flight bag though :) ...

So I gather from AZ typed's post that the FlyI Airbus's are not being operated by RyanAir? Were they recently? And what's this 200' buzzing business? Someone out trying their hand at NapOTheEarth?

Flooder305 said:
So I gather from AZ typed's post that the FlyI Airbus's are not being operated by RyanAir? Were they recently? And what's this 200' buzzing business? Someone out trying their hand at NapOTheEarth?

I guess sometimes you have to S P E L L I T O U T. Ryan was NEVER part of FLYi. Yes, there was talk of getting Ryan to fly SOMETHING for FLYi until FLYi could get it's own Bus operation up and running. However, that didn't "fly". One crucial mistake was that it took SO LONG to get a transcon / low CASM aircraft up and flying. But Ryan was never actually part of the execution of FLYi. And yes...the MM at FLYi is what will sink it. But I think that FLYi will actually prevail - albeit a MUCH smaller operation: maybe 15 buses w/ 0 RJs for some time. Just my guess though. FLYi needs to work in the long run just to spite United and Delta. Ha!

AZT

Your sarcasm AZ-Tapped-Out is duly noted, however smart-guy it's easy to believe what you hear coming from FlyI, even that another company would be running your scare-busses on your behalf, when you've been grounded by the FAA in the past for not having enough spare parts on hand such as oh I don't know TIRES! Maybe your company believes that Airbus tires are so great they'll never wear out.... I was just asking questions looking for answers, but apparently your chip is so large I inadvertently bumped it and set you off....I hope Indy succeeds for those there who've invested a lot of their careers there, but not for your sake...

Flooder,

I was a pilot for ACA/FlyI for almost 3 years before I got furloughed. Maybe I was busy commuting or not folowing up on the crewroom gossip but I do not ever recall any "grounding by the FAA" like what you are talking about.

Fromage said:
Yes, perhaps soon the CRJ's will be contracted out to another carrier as Independence Express?

Go and do a search on ACA-Lounge.com and see where some of the more egotistical airbus drivers have been referring to themselves as "mainline" and the crj drivers and "express"!

I love how gossip and rumors grow and grow until everyone starts to believe it.

1. Ryan Air is NOT and was never a part of Flyi.
2. All the training dept. changes were simply to modify the check list response/challenge & organization to fit an air carrier operation vs. using manufacture procedures, which are designed to take aircraft delivery not 4-6 legs per day. None of the required checklist items were deleted and the system tests were changed to first flight of the day items as opposed to every leg.
3. The tire issue did not ground the airline. The airbus ops certificate was placed on hold for one week so that Flyi could ensure all the part numbers were properly loaded into the spare parts database. Once it was proven the database was up to date the FAA certified the airbus. Operations started a few days later.
4. The 200' issue was the old computer saying...garbage in/garbage out. That individual is now spending a long time in the right seat. Every airline has these types of individuals.

Nothing else to see here...please move along.

Flooder305 said:
Your sarcasm AZ-Tapped-Out is duly noted, however smart-guy it's easy to believe what you hear coming from FlyI, even that another company would be running your scare-busses on your behalf, when you've been grounded by the FAA in the past for not having enough spare parts on hand such as oh I don't know TIRES! Maybe your company believes that Airbus tires are so great they'll never wear out.... I was just asking questions looking for answers, but apparently your chip is so large I inadvertently bumped it and set you off....I hope Indy succeeds for those there who've invested a lot of their careers there, but not for your sake...

Right Guy. My chip is large. You got it - hit the nail right on the head. It's not that hard to confirm a rumor that Ryan operated FLYi buses and that FLYi was ever grounded - yet you toss those accusations out like JO starts up a union busting airline. So - we attempt to set the record straight. It's not my fault you take the facts so personally that you wish my career to fail. Very Professional my "brother".

-moved on- AZT

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back