• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Not enough pilots out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I started flying 25 years ago, I was told that this career was all about "Margaritas and Señoritas" After all this years I'm starting to have the feeling that somebody lied to me

You wont' love it so much when you're sitting in the right seat for more than two years making less than the person who bags your groceries, have 15 hour duty days, work six days in a row with one or two days off, when scheduling moves your days off, when scheduling juniors you, when scheduling re-routes you, when your bosses threaten you if you call in sick.

OK I know you're bitter but don't over embellish. As a just-turned second year FO at a small regional I have NEVER had a 6 day ordeal, once a 5-day but it was due to a mechanical. On reserve I certainly never felt "abused" - you are there to "fill-in" when the company needs you to. It's your job.

Last month I had 16 days off, this month I think 14, (which gives a 4 on 3 off type schedule for the most part) most months I credit 90+ hours which now on second year pay I'll make close to 40k not including per diem which is more than livable for me right now. Would I like more money? Yes don't we all. When I was sick on probation I NEVER was threatened when I called in sick, they just said "OK I hope you get better!" and that was that. When I went to a family funeral I got the trip off WITH pay no questions asked.

If your life is seriously as bad as you are making it out to be maybe you should quit? I purposely didn't accept a position at a company that was notorious for bending people over.

OK I know you're bitter but don't over embellish. As a just-turned second year FO at a small regional I have NEVER had a 6 day ordeal, once a 5-day but it was due to a mechanical. On reserve I certainly never felt "abused" - you are there to "fill-in" when the company needs you to. It's your job.

Last month I had 16 days off, this month I think 14, (which gives a 4 on 3 off type schedule for the most part) most months I credit 90+ hours which now on second year pay I'll make close to 40k not including per diem which is more than livable for me right now. Would I like more money? Yes don't we all. When I was sick on probation I NEVER was threatened when I called in sick, they just said "OK I hope you get better!" and that was that. When I went to a family funeral I got the trip off WITH pay no questions asked.

If your life is seriously as bad as you are making it out to be maybe you should quit? I purposely didn't accept a position at a company that was notorious for bending people over.

40K more than liveable for you? That's nice, but when are you planning on moving out of your parents house?

Also, nice advice about suggesting that someone quit because they have the audacity to complain about the industry. Someday, when you have more than a couple of years of jerking gear, you might figure out that the complainers are the only ones that do anything to improve your working conditions. Right now, you sound like part of the problem in this industry. You might want to be checked out for shiny jet syndrome or gojetscabitis.

Grammar nowithstanding, this career has gone down the toilet. That kind of news isn't surprising. Working at a regional is like working in a sweat shop.

I can only presume you mean the wages and not the working conditions. It's been awhile since guys flew 8-10 legs in a plane with no APU and no auto pilot (Metro).

In all seriousness, I looked a little deeper into that link and my pay salary falls into the bottom 10%. Who knows where they get that from.

Pilots would have never been in this situation had they not taken the original concessions that created the cost structure that no longer supports high paying jobs. From a cost standpoint, we can never get back the pay we once had because the slim profit margins will not allow flexiblity to increase pay short term. In other words if an airline raised pay significantly they would go out of business in a short period of time. As a typical example if SWA made up the difference in cost structure of that of a legacy a pilot at SWA would make $1.4 million a year for captain $750,000 for the FO. The Cost of a pilot in the SWA CASM is 0.7 cents a mile. They should be paying their pilots more than 8 cents a mile. That's why even if you took industry standard rates you are still lowering the bar if your company has a lower cost structure. There is no live to fight another day.

40K more than liveable for you? That's nice, but when are you planning on moving out of your parents house?

Also, nice advice about suggesting that someone quit because they have the audacity to complain about the industry. Someday, when you have more than a couple of years of jerking gear, you might figure out that the complainers are the only ones that do anything to improve your working conditions. Right now, you sound like part of the problem in this industry. You might want to be checked out for shiny jet syndrome or gojetscabitis.

You're funny. This guy wasn't complaining, he was making it out like his life was hell on earth. If it is that bad (working 6 days/week every week) I would just quit. I have done so in the past with previous jobs when I saw there was no hope in getting a better QOL. When there was hope, I worked with the company and got what we wanted.

No amount of complaining will help when your contract is valid for another X years. Might as well save the energy and STFU and enjoy what you have or find something different. I'm sure the company knows the QOL sucks, the union knows it, even the other pilots and FA's know it already.

I was able to make bills and save and my first year at a regional showed ~24k. So yeah, if I can make it on 24 I'm sure I'll be able to make it on 40. Thanks for your concern.

In no way am I implying I wouldn't do the job for more money. But I have to laugh at people for saying they "deserve" more money. For what? You are paid what you can neogotiate and that in part is based on what the market can bear. All the complaining won't change that fact.

And don't play the "complainers make things happen" card. I know a lot of the union officals at my airline and they are not complainers. Talk is cheap.

Latest resources

Back