Not an excuse, but......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

I can see a lot of people are upset about the Delta TA. I admit it, I was shocked when I first saw the intial numbers, and there are still some negatives out there for me.

But, I am getting tired of the Delta bashing on this website. First of all, we have had ZERO help in trying to bring up overall wages and benefits from the other legacies out there. ZERO. The only ones to help us were the Southwest pilots, and the Fedex/UPS guys. That's it.

The last contract at a legacy was our joint contract with NWA in 2008. It was done during high oil (it was hitting $130 a barrel at the time), and the Delta/NWA pilots got a 17% wage increase over 4 years (5,4,4,4), that ended last January. It wasn't a great contract, but it did get us higher than the BK wages both DL and NWA were handed by BK judges.

What has happened since then? The UAL and CAL guys CAN'T GET IT TOGETHER. They can't. They can't come together and agree on anything. There doesn't look like any TA or SLI or anything will be done over there, and it would have really helped us out here if they had some sort of an agreement 6 months ago.

What about USAir or AA? AA took 5 years and got NOTHING, and then went into BK. USAir starting infighting, the Easties formed USAPA and the NIC award was shelved, and they too haven't done squat to move up any of their wages. ZERO.

Who has kept the bargain? Southwest. Even though some of us rag on them from time to time (they are West Texas Corndogs, right?), they actually kept the wages from falling, brought them up to a high level, and didn't falter. Even though they took over the "cockiness King" award from the old Deltoids, they did set and keep the bar high. If this TA does go through for Dalpa, the DL 737 pilots, PER HOUR, will be paid more than the SWA pilots (even adjusted for their trip time) if you add the DC fund compared to their 401K match. That's good, and the SWA guys can use that next time for themselves to bargain with.

The FedEx and UPS guys are in a different league, primarily because their companies can charge whatever they want, and will still be profitable. But, those pilots too are well paid and did a great job for the profession.

It's not about getting a 40% wage increase all at once. I don't think that happens anymore. It's about grabbing what you can and adding to it. 7 year contracts are bad. Short ones need to have good compensation for the length of time, plus positives in other areas. I think it needs to be reasonable, and again when I saw this TA, I was dissappointed with the pay raises. But, I will look over this TA and listen at the roadshows and ask questions. The emotion around this is huge, and that needs to subside a bit and then look at this thing rationally.

Bye Bye---General Lee

GL-- thanks for putting that into perspective. A calm voice in the midst of chaos goes along way. Thanks.

You got ZERO help from anyone except FedEx and Southwest. How many Legacy carriers existed when Delta went through their pay cuts?, and now? Delta represents 2 groups of pilots. Those that did not hold the line and totally caved on scope, and those that ALSO did not hold the line caved on scope. I see a pattern here!

The two airlines that didn't help much stood their ground on scope (Cal and AA)!

Your pay for a 737 is higher, but SW has 100% scope. That alone leaves your statement so far in the dust that you could never catch up.

Last edited:
Our management wants 76 seat RJs. Our CEO likes your TA. But unlike Delta they are not for sale. You realize how much pressure this puts on us? Delta should of never allowed 76 seats, just like United should of never allowed 70 seat regional jets. Hell you guys actually allowed 90 seat jets configured to 76.

You wonder why people are bashing Delta and why DALPA might be in trouble?

Dude, we are going to give the company bigger RJs with this TA when the company is making billions. This is going to force UCAL to do the same to compete with us. Yes, our wages are top for legacies, but we are dismal on scope. We deserve the abuse.

As a CAL guy I can say I heard "I hope the Delta TA helps us out." Quite a few times. Before that was, "I hope American gets something nice... "
I agree with GL on this one, we at U-CAL have done NOTHING for too long, HOPING some other airline group would scare OUR mgmnt enough to throw us a bone.
So our turn to contribute is being skipped over, and a building block for the profession as a whole as well WTG us.

You got ZERO help from anyone except FedEx and Southwest. How many Legacy carriers existed when Delta went through their pay cuts?, and now? Delta represents 2 groups of pilots. Those that did not hold the line and totally caved on scope, and those that ALSO did not hold the line caved on scope. I see a pattern here!

The two airlines that didn't help much stood their ground on scope (Cal and AA)!

Your pay for a 737 is higher, but SW has 100% scope. That alone leaves your statement so far in the dust that you could never catch up.

Lots of sideways agruments here. How many legacy carries existed when Delta went through pay cuts? 7? How many are around today? 4 combined, and two are waiting to. UAL and CAL haven't helped anyone with their infighting. Same with USAir. Throw in AA trying hard for 5 years and got NOTHING. None of that has helped with pattern bargaining. You need help to move up. Southwest helped us out, but Southwest is only a 737 operator, and doesn't have the same type of operation. Before buying Airtran, they avoided a lot of the small cities except in Texas. Should we fly DC9s to Dothan, AL? How about Brainard, MN? You just can't compare them. Keep trying to compare the two, and your statement is so far in the dust yourself. Hub and Spoke (to small cities too), vs point to point. SWA's only scope problem now is Volaris going to Mexico. The RJs didn't even work for Airtran out of MKE in reality, but they again have a different model. You can't deny that. At least they kept their rates high enough for us to try to catch them, and adding the DC portion, it looks like we have. How have UAL/CAL/US/AA done so far?

Bye Bye---General Lee

I can see a lot of people are upset about the Delta TA. I admit it, I was shocked when I first saw the intial numbers, and there are still some negatives out there for me.

But, I am getting tired of the Delta bashing on this website. First of all, we have had ZERO help in trying to bring up overall wages and benefits from the other legacies out there. ZERO. The only ones to help us were the Southwest pilots, and the Fedex/UPS guys. That's it.

The last contract at a legacy was our joint contract with NWA in 2008. It was done during high oil (it was hitting $130 a barrel at the time), and the Delta/NWA pilots got a 17% wage increase over 4 years (5,4,4,4), that ended last January. It wasn't a great contract, but it did get us higher than the BK wages both DL and NWA were handed by BK judges.

What has happened since then? The UAL and CAL guys CAN'T GET IT TOGETHER. They can't. They can't come together and agree on anything. There doesn't look like any TA or SLI or anything will be done over there, and it would have really helped us out here if they had some sort of an agreement 6 months ago.

What about USAir or AA? AA took 5 years and got NOTHING, and then went into BK. USAir starting infighting, the Easties formed USAPA and the NIC award was shelved, and they too haven't done squat to move up any of their wages. ZERO.

Who has kept the bargain? Southwest. Even though some of us rag on them from time to time (they are West Texas Corndogs, right?), they actually kept the wages from falling, brought them up to a high level, and didn't falter. Even though they took over the "cockiness King" award from the old Deltoids, they did set and keep the bar high. If this TA does go through for Dalpa, the DL 737 pilots, PER HOUR, will be paid more than the SWA pilots (even adjusted for their trip time) if you add the DC fund compared to their 401K match. That's good, and the SWA guys can use that next time for themselves to bargain with.

The FedEx and UPS guys are in a different league, primarily because their companies can charge whatever they want, and will still be profitable. But, those pilots too are well paid and did a great job for the profession.

It's not about getting a 40% wage increase all at once. I don't think that happens anymore. It's about grabbing what you can and adding to it. 7 year contracts are bad. Short ones need to have good compensation for the length of time, plus positives in other areas. I think it needs to be reasonable, and again when I saw this TA, I was dissappointed with the pay raises. But, I will look over this TA and listen at the roadshows and ask questions. The emotion around this is huge, and that needs to subside a bit and then look at this thing rationally.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I have to call BS on this. How do you recommend we get a contract and an SLI done when we have Frank Lorenzo Jr. running the show? I agree there have been some internal issues within the two MEC's, but the common focus has always been on getting a JCBA. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous at best. I'm happy that you have TA well before the amendable date and would love to have one to vote on myself, but I want the RIGHT contract with TIGHTENED scope. Our CEO likes your TA and that scares the hell out of me, as it should you. I'm cautiously optimistic you guys will do the right thing.

Latest resources

Back