• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest trying to outsource pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The fall of Rome began this way. Outsourcing to foreign army's and labor. Greed of the Senate and politicians. History always repeats it self.

I see them adding Champion Airlines flights during rush periods, like holidays. Champion, owned by NW, might get some A320s to replace their older 727s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Jimdandy said:
Thanks to George W. Bush!

Labor will never have a chance to stand up to mgmt with guys like him in office appting. judges and magistrates and making policy - we are all FUBARed

Please cite, in detail, the exact actions that Bush took that has placed the airline industry, and airline unions in this position.

Jimdandy said:
Ty webb your a fool.

Hair on fire is correct we are blue collar working men that is how the IRS classifies our job.

Ty Webb is one of those that votes republican and thinks he is above everyone else and then when his union has no power he just cries and cries and says well it is a very complex problem.

First of all, that should have been "you're a fool", not "your a fool".
"You're" is the correct contractraction for "you are".

Second, I think that your frivolous oversimplification that "It's all the Republicans/Bush's fault" shows a desperate need for a scapegoat, and demonstrates a real lack of interest in actualy analysis of the problem.

In the minds of many, the perfect union would solve all the problems. They think if we "all hang together", that we can't be defeated.

Guess what - we still can.

If all the nation's pilots got together and had a national walkout for better pay, we would have cabotage before we know it.

Because of Bush? Nope. The public would demand it. They want their cheap airfare, and they couldn't care less about you.

There is no more leverage.

The pilot unions are in the position they are because of a mixture of greed, complacency, and plain old bad luck.

Last edited:
Hair-on-Fire said:
Left field? You mean the 48% of Americans that voted against George Bush II in 2004? Or maybe the 51% that voted against him back in 2000? Perhaps the 70% of Americans that now think he's doing a lousy job? Left field is getting crowded.

Dream on, little man. 52% percent is more than Clinton got either time.
And republicans control both houses of congress? The house was overwhelmingly dem for years.

Go home and jack off to a picture of Dean or McGovern.

SWAPoolie said:
If the unions stuck together the company would have had no choice but to deal.

In the short term, yes. But while you all stood around congratulating yourselves, management would already be looking at other alternatives.

There are too many pilots available to do the job.

If half the pilots left the industry tomorrow, THEN management would have to deal. But again, cabotage would be right around the corner.

Last edited:
100LL said:
First of all, that should have been "you're a fool", not "your a fool". "You're" is the correct contraction for "you are".
In American English usage the punctuation goes inside the quotation mark:

"you are."

unless you are British, in which case it can go on the outside of the quotation mark. Are you? British?

Same problem here:

100LL said:
we "all hang together", that we can't be defeated.
should be

"we "all hang together," that we can't be defeated"

100LL said:
"It's all the Republicans/Bush's fault"
"Republicans" as you use it is possessive, plural possessive at that. As such, it should have an apostrophe after the "s" thusly: Republicans'

unless, of course, you meant it was the fault of one single Republican in which case it would be: Republican's. You probably didn't mean that, but since you put no apostrophe at all, it is unclear.

100LL said:
Guess what - we still can.
You probably meant to use a dash here:

"Guess what--we still can."

What you used is called a hyphen. It, too, is used improperly as a hyphen has no spaces on either side of it.

100LL said:
First of all, that should have been "you're a fool", not "your a fool". "You're" is the correct contraction for "you are".
Maybe JimDandy meant "your A-fool." Maybe there's a "B" fool, "C" fool, etc. There were many cats in Cat in the Hat.

Maybe there are many fools.

Last edited:
flyhigh2610 said:
politics is a dangerous game to play...an argument without a solution...I will say this, there is no telling what the Democrats would have done...maybe worse maybe better we will never know...what we do know is the US isn't exactly looking its finest these days...and sometimes the place to look is up top. Overall...i have seen this country in much better shape economically, socially, and spiritually than now. People are split, and morale isnt very high. 9/11 and Katrina were actions without control...the outcome of both is what troubles me...a war with an unknown enemy in Iraq and around the world, and a superpower very vulnerable to disasters...a sociaty that panics every time a hurricane comes 200 miles from shore. What happened in Houston before Rita hit had nothing to do with a hurricane but with a society that is panicking...scary very very scary. Mere mention of a natural disaster and this country goes bananas...the media is responsible for this and so is the government...and just like in private companies...when the ship is broke ask the captain...well the captains name is George W. Bush...doesn't the buck stop there? in 6 years the US is as vulnerable as ever...and we work in an industry that is directly tied to the actions of our federal government...if this keeps going we will all be either furloghed or working for crap. I travel the world for pleasure...been to every continent, and never have I seen soo much hate for this country and this president as now...incredible. Mere mention of America and people cringe...in Europe, South America, and Asia. To me, there is something very wrong with that picture...thats all i have to say.

I have to agree with the above poster.....like him, I have spent several years - as an OUTSOURCED US pilot - flying for a foriegn carrier because I was "not competitive enough" or some other B.S. There is not a single country that I have visited that has anything good to say about the US and that is very telling. Most folks on this board have not had that opportunity of actually living overseas to see all this. It is not very comfortable, that's for sure and right now, the US airline industry is in complete shambles - not so overseas. Again, very sad state of affairs.
Yes, the buck has to stop somewhere, and I would have thought that would be the C-in-C. His poilicies in just about everything have certainly not helped. The one single thing that I'm told by people outside of the US, is that Americans are extremely insular, and mostly do not know about politics outside their own borders. Again, Having seen both sides of the divide, I have to agree to some extent.
Outsourcing is not new, I've been outsourced twice and still can't get a decent job back home; never a problem overseas, just back home. That, too, is very telling.
But there is hope.....just heard today in the foreign press that a certain British bank which outsourced most of their services has done a massive U-turn by NOT renewing the contract which outsourced call center work to Bangalore, India! Why? Because of pressure from their customers, tons of complaints when dealing with the foreign associates in the call center. And they were actually LOSING money in the long-term. Wow, what a concept...

General Lee said:
I see them adding Champion Airlines flights during rush periods, like holidays. Champion, owned by NW, might get some A320s to replace their older 727s.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General-

Champion is NOT owned by NWA.

It is a separate and independent airline.

Like Sun Country, it has a MSP crew base, quite convienent for NWA management.

320AV8R

Last edited:
densoo said:
In American English usage the punctuatin goes inside the quotation mark:

"you are."

unless you are British, in which case it can go on the outside of the quotation mark. Are you? British?

Same problem here:

should be "we "all hang together," that we can't be defeated"

"Republicans" as you use it is possessive, plural possessive at that. As such, it should have an apostrophe after the "s" thusly: Republicans'

unless, of course, you meant it was the fault of one single Republican in which case it would be: Republican's. You probably didn't mean that, but since you put no apostrophe at all, it is unclear.

You probably meant to use a hyphen here:

"Guess what--we still can."

What you used is called a dash.

Maybe JimDandy meant "your A-fool." Maybe there's a "B" fool, "C" fool, etc. There were many cats in Cat in the Hat.

Maybe there are many fools.

Gotta love it.....I is a fool ...but I know it....he is a fool...yet he knows it not!

100LL... Again! said:
Please cite, in detail, the exact actions that Bush took that has placed the airline industry, and airline unions in this position.

One clear and deliberate action the Bush Admin took was to change the financial reporting requirements for unions. From general to detailed requirements, unions had to divert and devote much more man hours and funds to comply with this change. (that is your union dues). Why was the old way bad and the new way good?

Hows that for detail? Now I'm sure you can put some spin on it, but before you do, how about the burden of proof be put on you. Tell us how the Bush Administration has helped airline unions. Cause if W. isn't helping us he is hurting.

Now, of course, this change in union reporting requirements isn't the reason the whole airline industry is in this position. But as an airline pilot with a pension, wouldn't you rather have an Administration that will at least listen to your concerns about your retirement going away? Perhaps you don't have a pension, but as an Air Line Pilot you do have issues. Do you want to be heard? Or simply shut out?

When Clinton was in office, ALPA could pick up the phone and talk to a White House policy advisor. Since the Bush Admin, there is no contact at all. How can you work your issue if you aren't allowed to speak?

When ALPA endorses Kerry or Gore or Clinton is just pisses the hel! out of Air Line Pilots. "God Damm! I am a meat and potatoes, Type A personality, pick up driving, red blooded American! How dare ALPA endorse a democrat! I'm not for gay rights, animals rights, Hollywood stars etc... I'm just going to have to resign from ALPA. ALPA is messing with my identity!"

As Air Line Pilots we have got to get off this identity branding. Just becuase Kerry supports Air Line Pilots doesn't mean Air Line Pilots support gay rights. This basic understanding is very difficult for many.

We have got some serious issues in the next 5-20 years. Many pilots have the mindset that we are in tough times but they will be over soon. I disagree, the worst is yet to come. During these tough times, the concerned parties are going to influence the politicans to make changes to the CFR. Once those changes are made it might not matter whether to good times are here or not.

Here is a short list of what we have to look out for. Each one of these has complex issues. There are no easy fixes...

• Foreign Ownership
  • Foreign Labor
  • Cabatoge
  • Pilot Career Protection
  • Collective Bargaining Rights
  • Flight Duty Times
  • Age 60
I believe the Air Line Pilot Profession is in the balance. I also think we can save it. But we have to get educated and informed on the issues, how the system works and what to do to envoke change in our favor. The more of us that understand this, the more effective we can be.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back