Northwest trying to outsource pilots!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
quote:
"In 20 years the airline industry will be like the shipping industry. Foreign-registered airplanes and foreign pilots flying within within the US, global airlines with no nationality.10 years if we keep Republicans in office."

Exactly......!!

It boggles the mind sometimes to see that people in this industry are either totally blind to this up-and-coming reality or are in extreme denial about it. As a result, they will do nothing until it is too late.

You must get your representatives to vote no on any and every form of cabotage that comes up.

pilotyip said:
What makes anyone think that unions sticking together could have done anything to keep NWA out of BK? You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. NWA was basically DOA.

They were going into CH11 no matter what. However, the pilots are going to lose their jobs now because they let the company outsource mechanics. It set precedence that it can and will be done. If the unions stuck together the company would have had no choice but to cut a deal. Now they know they can run any union out of town.

pilotyip said:
What makes anyone think that unions sticking together could have done anything to keep NWA out of BK? You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. NWA was basically DOA.

If there was any indication of union solidarity before the AMFA strike, the company woud have filed CH 11 & handed everyone their a$$es at once. Now, with AMFA out of the way, ALPA, PFAA & IAM all have the same 1113c deadline.....can you say "collective bargaining ?"

NWA is taking outsourcing to a new level......and they won't be happy until there are NO employees left.

Northwest begins with NO.

320AV8R

Captain Overs said:
Exactly what does this post have to do with treason?
It has nothing to do with treason and I did not mean to imply anyone would die either.

To connect my previous post to the NWA situation, please consider how the mechanics were left to hang by themselves and now the company is coming after all of them seperately.

SWAPoolie said:
They were going into CH11 no matter what. However, the pilots are going to lose their jobs now because they let the company outsource mechanics. It set precedence that it can and will be done. If the unions stuck together the company would have had no choice but to cut a deal. Now they know they can run any union out of town.

My dog in this fight is very small. But this man I believe, has it right. Precedence, precedence, precedence....that's the new name of the game. NWA expected it, they saw it and went for the kill. It's easier to shoot one bird at a time than all at once. I'm sorry for the NWA family but it might be a little late to stop that downhill train. This is definitely a lesson for me and should be for all of us if we expect to have a profitable career in aviation.

The outsourcing of labor started happening a long time ago with the mechanics...it is only now on the grander scale with the replacement mechanics. My contention is only that the pilots, had they supported the AMFA, would have sent NWA to bankruptcy quicker (which is what management wanted at that point...a reason to bust up labor contracts.)

I agree with the job action AMFA took. Who knew there would be 1500+ scabs waiting to take their jobs so willingly?...but it backfired and NWA management had the upper hand. Hurricane Katrina and the effect of gas prices is what gave NWA management enough reason to declare bankruptcy...but I assure you had the pilots struck with AMFA, NWA would have gone into CH. 11 that much sooner (which is what they wanted.)

quote:
"Who knew there would be 1500+ scabs waiting to take their jobs so willingly?..."

Ummmmm....they did. It was no secret that NW had these guys in training ready to go.....

JohnDoe said:
quote:
"Who knew there would be 1500+ scabs waiting to take their jobs so willingly?..."

Ummmmm....they did. It was no secret that NW had these guys in training ready to go.....[/quote

you are correct...I would have never guessed, though, that this tactic would have worked out in favor of management as well as it has.

TWA Dude said:
Not only is that true but it's always been the case. Unions are weak and bankruptcy-boosted management is strong right now. Welcome to the 21st century.

So if Unions were strong today, what would be different? Fewer bankrupt airlines? Until the industry gets some strength back in it and viable buisness plans in place unions will continue to be weak. This is a catharsis for the industry plenty of changes have happened almost all bad and plenty more to come. Hopefully in a few more years we will have weathered the storm and the cycle will start working in favor of the industry. Then maybe unions will be stronger again. The question then will become what next? A repeat of the last thirty years in union company relationships or something a little more enlightened?

Ty Webb said:
Labor was in a downward spiral during CLinton's 8 years, chief. Don't kid yourself. Politicians get their money from corporations and wealthy shareholders.

Personally, I have to laugh at message-board pilots that think that things would have been better under John Kerry! If that was the best the Democratic party could offer, no wonder they lost.

Maybe, instead of blaming Bush, you should blame the DNC for giving America such a lousy slate of contenders . . . . and then they name Dean to head the party. You really want those buffoons running the country?

Not me.

politics is a dangerous game to play...an argument without a solution...I will say this, there is no telling what the Democrats would have done...maybe worse maybe better we will never know...what we do know is the US isn't exactly looking its finest these days...and sometimes the place to look is up top. Overall...i have seen this country in much better shape economically, socially, and spiritually than now. People are split, and morale isnt very high. 9/11 and Katrina were actions without control...the outcome of both is what troubles me...a war with an unknown enemy in Iraq and around the world, and a superpower very vulnerable to disasters...a sociaty that panics every time a hurricane comes 200 miles from shore. What happened in Houston before Rita hit had nothing to do with a hurricane but with a society that is panicking...scary very very scary. Mere mention of a natural disaster and this country goes bananas...the media is responsible for this and so is the government...and just like in private companies...when the ship is broke ask the captain...well the captains name is George W. Bush...doesn't the buck stop there? in 6 years the US is as vulnerable as ever...and we work in an industry that is directly tied to the actions of our federal government...if this keeps going we will all be either furloghed or working for crap. I travel the world for pleasure...been to every continent, and never have I seen soo much hate for this country and this president as now...incredible. Mere mention of America and people cringe...in Europe, South America, and Asia. To me, there is something very wrong with that picture...thats all i have to say.

Latest resources

Back