• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Pilots explain problems holding up combination talks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought it was the Merger Cmte that had the final say on the SLI?

Nope. Without a PID, only the MEC will approve/reject the List. Just like the Negotiating Committee works, the Merger Committee will prepare the deal, and MEC will be the group that is accountable.

Personally I think conditions and restrictions could solve a lot of the remaining issues regarding relative seniority now and accounting for our retirements, but that the reluctance to move on that is not on our part.

Dunno. I think the goal is to avoid C&R's ("fences") since they tend to decrease operational flexibility.

We saw it here for about a year or so...then our Crew Planning folks broke the code and figured out how to make it work with very little impact.

Nope. Without a PID, only the MEC will approve/reject the List. Just like the Negotiating Committee works, the Merger Committee will prepare the deal, and MEC will be the group that is accountable.

Dunno. I think the goal is to avoid C&R's ("fences") since they tend to decrease operational flexibility.

We saw it here for about a year or so...then our Crew Planning folks broke the code and figured out how to make it work with very little impact.

All I can say is that the NWA table position I've very recently heard about is sheer craziness. Nothing within miles of what would be approved by the DL pilot group. Lead negotiator a green book guy with an agenda?

Last edited:
*Remarks of Senator Barack Obama - New Hampshire Primary
Tuesday, January 8th, 2008
Nashua, New Hampshire:

Ok, please explain how a no-substance leftist's (plagerized) remarks have anything whatever to do with an airline merger.

Last edited:
All I can say is that the NWA table position I've very recently heard about is sheer craziness. Nothing within miles of what would be approved by the DL pilot group.

I don't doubt that for a second! I'm sure the List you've heard about is "crazy".

But I'm not sure you've seen THE List. I say that because, fact is, even your MEC hasn't seen the List!

So if you have information on the List that even your reps don't have, perhaps the disconnect isn't with the NWA team.

This might be a good time for us to dial it down a notch or two...and let our elected reps and their designated teams do their jobs. We can still blither and wail here like 3-year olds, cuz Hey!...we'rePILOTS! We defy gravity for a living, which naturally makes us geniuses on all other forces of nature.

Lead negotiator a green book guy with an agenda?

No. Lead Negotiator is a Blueguy named John. The Chairman of the Merger Committee is a Green guy named Mike. Don't confuse "negotiating" with "merging". The MEC Chairman is an ex officio member of every committee, and has the responsibility to ensure all the Subject Matter Experts are getting the job done.

I don't doubt that for a second! I'm sure the List you've heard about is "crazy".

But I'm not sure you've seen THE List. I say that because, fact is, even your MEC hasn't seen the List!

So if you have information on the List that even your reps don't have, perhaps the disconnect isn't with the NWA team.

This might be a good time for us to dial it down a notch or two...and let our elected reps and their designated teams do their jobs. We can still blither and wail here like 3-year olds, cuz Hey!...we'rePILOTS! We defy gravity for a living, which naturally makes us geniuses on all other forces of nature.

No. Lead Negotiator is a Blueguy named John. The Chairman of the Merger Committee is a Green guy named Mike. Don't confuse "negotiating" with "merging". The MEC Chairman is an ex officio member of every committee, and has the responsibility to ensure all the Subject Matter Experts are getting the job done.

No, I haven't seen the list. I just said I had heard the NWA table position. Heard it from people that should know it well. And, OK semantics, but the Chairman of the merger committee is a green book guy with an agenda:).

I respect your experience and opinion and I'll take your advice on dialing it down. A little more time in the water might do wonders for my outlook. Take care.

Last edited:
Maybe Pardus can help out with all this. After all, they were SO helpful a few months ago when they prematurely suggested a UAL/DAL deal. Maybe this time they could put some money where their mouth was. Not suggesting that anyone's seniority be for sale but some extra cash might bring the parties back to the table.

Hedge fund mgrs, etc. should read some of this 'dialogue' to get an idea for how much we value seniority and see how little pilots care about a big payoff for the fund managers at our expense.

Latest resources

Back