• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest pilots blame air traffic controllers for overshooting airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt these "pilots" (and I use that term loosly) will be returning to the unfiendly skies again. I wouldn't even trust them as flight instructors. How long will they keep on passing the beer around until it gets warm? Well, another lesson learned in the airline business.

You are in no position to comment on any Legacy pilots skills. Your just a baby. A wanna be aviator so STFU.

The difference between the overflight guys and the taxi-way guys and their handling is that the MSP guys violated a "though shalt not" rule while the ATL taxiway guys did not deliberately land on the taxiway. I agree that an emergency revocation was showboating by the FAA but I don't think the pilots have much chance of getting it overturned.

The FAA felt it needed to make examples out of them...and they did. I just hope that they feel like they have done enough and we don't get a whole bunch of knee jerk regs/laws as a result.

As far as the excuses...the lawyers are just doing what they are paid to do. Anything less would be criminal on their part. Their clients have what could possibly be mitigating factors that should have been considered and they need to be presented.

The excuses seem lame because there are no good excuses left because of the prior statements of the pilots. They would have been far better off saying they both fell asleep. The tone of the arguments on this board and possibly the media would have been far different.

NWA has no rule about not using a computer on the flight deck. That is a Delta rule. Those guys are still operating under a NWA certificate.
Many airlines allow laptops on the flight deck. Jetblue, Southwest and Virgin America to mention a few.

i tried to ignore this comment but just couldn't! You sir are a complete and total idiot!!!!!!! No one is defending what these guys did was right. I'm not saying they aren't lying about what happened or that they are handling this well. But to hear some 250 hour "private pilot" or "student pilot" or whatever it is you are, say that you wouldn't trust these two guys as flight instructors is an absolute insult!

It's people like you that make most of us cringe when you come up to the cockpit and tell us that we did something wrong and you know we did, because you are a private pilot! Give me a break! You don't know $hit!

These guys have had long carreers of safely flying people all over the world & have done it without a single blemish on their record until now. I personally don't understand how this could happen, but i wasn't there. I'm not going to hang them out to dry because i know something that you don't....we all make mistakes as pilots! We fly in the real world of aviation where there are more factors to consider than how scary that 7 knot crosswind is, or how cool you look with your new ifr kneeboard!

You say you use the term pilot "loosely" for these guys?! Really?!
How would you know what a pilot is? Let me be the first to assure you that you are not a pilot!

Now go call the fbo and get your c-152 topped off with 100ll so you can practice your "touch & go's" in the pattern. Just don't forget your mag check! Oh, and caution for the wake turtbulence from the departing king air!!! Dumb a$$

Amen!!!

I read an article this evening about the continuing investigation surrounding the Northwest Airline Pilots who flew their Airbus A320 over 100 miles off course. The Boeing and Airbus airliners flown today by many airlines are some of the most technically advanced planes in the air. They are, in fact, computers with a nose, tail, and two wings attached. As pilots earn new ratings and learn to fly more sophisticated aircraft, are they loseing their flying skills over technical abilities of the aircraft? Whatever these two pilots were doing, whether it was using their lap top computers, having an indepth conversation, or sleeping, they weren't performing their jobs as pilots. I am happy that the FAA took their licenses away and I hope they never get them back!!! I wouldn't trust these pilots behind the controlls of a Cessna or an Airbus.

I read an article this evening about the continuing investigation surrounding the Northwest Airline Pilots who flew their Airbus A320 over 100 miles off course. The Boeing and Airbus airliners flown today by many airlines are some of the most technically advanced planes in the air. They are, in fact, computers with a nose, tail, and two wings attached. As pilots earn new ratings and learn to fly more sophisticated aircraft, are they loseing their flying skills over technical abilities of the aircraft? Whatever these two pilots were doing, whether it was using their lap top computers, having an indepth conversation, or sleeping, they weren't performing their jobs as pilots. I am happy that the FAA took their licenses away and I hope they never get them back!!! I wouldn't trust these pilots behind the controlls of a Cessna or an Airbus.

And you are an idiot. Pilots manage the plane,and yes the planes fly themselves. But when chit hits the fan, pilots earn their money. Those Delta guys that landed on a taxiway obviously could not manage their crisis as good as the NWA crew did.

Those Delta guys that landed on a taxiway obviously could not manage their crisis as good as the NWA crew did.

Uhh..... Like comparing train wrecks?

Latest resources

Back