• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Northwest Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I read also that NW wanted to furlough about 5600 stews and replace them on the Asian routes with cheap labor from Asia. That is amazing too.

As far as the NW pilots go, I see the senior ones selling out the juniors because they still have anuity style pensions. If NW were to drop the pensions, all of their senior guys would get about $2000 a month, when they were planning on $12000. They will use that as a bargaining chip. Scary.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Deli Guy said:
Hey Networ-King,
I can tell you that the dominant trend at NWA is that while there are guys on the street, high time flying is like having herpes. If youve got it, you don't advertise it. Like anywhere else some guys do it, but when it comes out in the open it is unpleasant. (To be totally honest with you, NW ALPA has kind of an off notion that high time does not affect furloughees--I defend them but they have their flaws like you have already noted.)
I hope ALPA does not drop the ball as well. Just try and let them have their turn here at NW. My resume is complete. I will be fixing up historic houses and running a deli. If I can keep flying--great. If not, I'll move out of the way for you young whippersnappers.

Deli,

Noted..... and may I say that you are a very smart person for doing something outside of aviation. I too have ventured into the housing market and I have been lucky enough to move on to greener pastures... well... the pasture is pretty brown where Im at, but its my new favorite color ;). Heck who knows.... I might be on the street again here in another couple of months, but I refuse to get another gray hair over it. I really hope it all works out for the NWA guys, but ALPA has screwed way too many people in the last 4 years and as you know... pilots hold grudges. Good luck and hope Im wrong.

Just make sure you when you sleep you keep one eye on your "senior ALPA brothers". They might have a smile on their faces, but just like wise guys, when they stab you in the back they'll pose as a friend and have a big smile on their face.

-
General Lee said:
I read also that NW wanted to furlough about 5600 stews and replace them on the Asian routes with cheap labor from Asia. That is amazing too.

As far as the NW pilots go, I see the senior ones selling out the juniors because they still have anuity style pensions. If NW were to drop the pensions, all of their senior guys would get about $2000 a month, when they were planning on $12000. They will use that as a bargaining chip. Scary.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General:

You don't know how true this is.

During the great AA/TWA debate we (TWA) had a team we now call the "GLORRP" Team that was secretly negotiating as many TWA furloughs as they could in order to secure their own seniority. (No - they weren't all elected ALPA).

Really deep furloughs - that didn't have to happen.

These types are out there - and they pretend to "be your friend" and "on your side".

Trouble is, you might not be able to stop this very special kind of vermin.

I'm not much of a union person, but have learned the hard way what damage sellout citizens can do to you - most of them are your "union buds". Whew! It is truly awesome. Especially when they have the power (read union) to protect themselves.

Good luck.

PS: If you ever come across names that begin with letters like G-L-O-R-R-P - go hug your family. That's all you will have left.

PSS: Matter of fact, they are so capable, we think that they will be able to negotiate an even faster furlough of the 1181 from NW than management even wants. Management just needs to get this former TWA GLORRP team to MSP soon.

Hey Networ King, General Lee and Ironspud.
The senior guys are the big hurdle. I hope there is some fairness in this process, but all I can do is talk up my opinions, tell the other junior guys to do the same, and keep our eye on our rights. If they bone us after that, shame on them.
I think the pension issue is resolving itself and I think it is apparent to the older guys that there is safety in numbers. I think scope is becoming more important to them because they know that if their numbers get dwindled to a replacable number, they will be replaced. I think that is where our mgmt team has made a mistake. They are so overboard with their threats that the herd is circling, ass facing out and starting to kick.
Who knows?

Deli Guy said:
Hey Networ King, General Lee and Ironspud.
The senior guys are the big hurdle. I hope there is some fairness in this process, but all I can do is talk up my opinions, tell the other junior guys to do the same, and keep our eye on our rights. If they bone us after that, shame on them.

The "senior guys" are a small percentage of the pilot group at NWA. Don't quote me on the exact numbers but somthing like 3/4 or 2/3 of the pilots are narrow body pilots. We have over 150 dc-9 (for now) and more 320/319s.

The wide body group might think their votes are worth more than the narrowbody votes but they are not. Of course we do not get to vote on every issue ( ie. the amfa sympathy strike) so we may get shafted any way.
in my opinion...

Dave B

Latest resources

Back