• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-rev and commuting just got harder

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. The rule is unenforceable. They have no way of knowing whether you were screened or not. As far as I'm concerned, there is no new rule.

Yes, except if they catch you getting on a flight when you haven't been screened, not only will you be fired but prosecuted to the "fullest extent of the law." I don't know what that is, but I'm sure they'd love to make an example out of somebody, especially one of those pesky pilots.

I plan on complying with the new directive even though it will be a PITA. I'll just go through security and look at the TSA with my deadpan stare, and give them the stinkeye when they try to make conversation.

This may sound like a stupid question, but don't you always have to go thhrough security when you commute? I always have.

yes but when you finish your trip and want to commute home, this new directive is stating that rather than walking over to the gate of your departing flight, you must first go out and 'clear the screening checkpoint with your accessible property'. so if your flight is leaving in say 30 minutes, and you have to go through the concourse from the furthest gate out, to the train and out to the main terminal, back through security, back on the train and then back down the concourse to that flight...well you aren't gonna make it. also if you commute up, and are starting a trip with a deadhead, this directive is saying u must go through security at that airport (not just the one u started out at) which again will waste about 30 minutes of your life. (maybe not so long for those who commute to a smaller airport, but still...)

You sure?

Under the scenario you just posted, it doesn't look like the pilot ever left the "sterile area"...assuming an aircraft in flight is a "sterile area".

If I go through screening in DTW, then fly to MSP, do the new rules require me to go back through screening? I've been inside the sterile area the whole time.

I think this is gonna be too ambiguous for TSA to keep their arms around.

From the ASA Employee Site:

The TSA has just implemented a new security directive which will be effective immediately. This directive mandates that all airline employees traveling as a passenger, either revenue or non-rev, must enter the airport sterile area through the screening checkpoint. Employees traveling as passengers must undergo screening of their person and accessible property at the screening checkpoint.

Do you mean that as the companion I will now have to wait in line with everyoe else? Or do you just mean that i will get screened like i always do anyway? or do you mean that even worse, i will go thru the "special" security line that searches you inside out? (god love those when i am last minute non rev)

I just signed up for CLEAR. Not sure what that will do, hoping it will make it easier when I am flagged SSSS.

You sure?

Under the scenario you just posted, it doesn't look like the pilot ever left the "sterile area"...assuming an aircraft in flight is a "sterile area".

If I go through screening in DTW, then fly to MSP, do the new rules require me to go back through screening? I've been inside the sterile area the whole time.

well according to the memo that was sent out to us, under that scenario, yes you have left the sterile area. i am not saying i agree with that at all. just going by what our company says. the example was just like yours. check in at 'dtw' , having gone through security. fly to 'msp' and back to 'dtw'. now commuting home to 'xyz'...proceed thru security, cuz for some reason, u have become unsterilized.

so i was just thinking about all the passengers who are making connecting flights...why don't they have to go through security again at the next airport? and even tho someone said if one of the flight crew went outside the aircraft to pre/post flight they are out of the sterile area (which i thought if you remained within the footprint of the aircraft that is still the sterile area), it's not like the whole flight crew goes out there. this whole thing is totally ludicrous.

Last edited:
You sure?

Well, if you went outside to do the pre/post-flight, technically you are no longer in the the "sterile area", you are in the SIDA. Thanks TSA!

Edit: You beat me to Marsupial!

Last edited:
I don't know why everyone is so upset about this. The rule is unenforceable. They have no way of knowing whether you were screened or not. As far as I'm concerned, there is no new rule.

Here's the problem: Some airlines have taken it upon themselves to require jumpseaters to get a 'boarding card' through the ticket counter. Once you've passed through the security checkpoint, you must have the TSA stamp the card. If the record is made at the counter, it will have the dreaded SSSS and you will be searched every time. The airlines can waive this SSSS, but most of the time they won't. If you show up to the gate without the stamp, back to the counter and back for another handscreening.

It's the death of common sense.

Yes, except if they catch you getting on a flight when you haven't been screened, not only will you be fired but prosecuted to the "fullest extent of the law." I don't know what that is, but I'm sure they'd love to make an example out of somebody, especially one of those pesky pilots.

I plan on complying with the new directive even though it will be a PITA. I'll just go through security and look at the TSA with my deadpan stare, and give them the stinkeye when they try to make conversation.

Sweptback is right. Every section of the airport is covered by cameras and Big Brother is always watching. Don't think for one minute that pilots aren't going to be watched from the time you enter the concourse to the time you get on that commuter flight home. Sure there's a lot of us, and the odds of being the one they watch is slim, but if you happen to be that one, and they catch you going straight to the gate the TSA WILL throw the book at you. What with the "drunks at checkpoints" incidents, they've already proven that they hate pilots and would love to throw one of us "arrogant pricks" in jail.

Just comply, and waste as much time at the checkpoint as possible. Don't take anything off. Fumble with your cellphone. Make them search you and wand you. The more we jam up the checkpoints, the faster this stupid rule will be changed!

It's time we pilots grow a set, and practice a little CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE at the checkpoint!!!!

Let's see...how many airline flights have been disrupted/hijacked by pilots? Only one comes to mind, and a TSA screening wouldn't have made a difference in that case. Let's face it, TSA has been out to get flightcrew for years and this is just one power play!

just as long as you don't have three ounces of mustard on your turkey sandwich, everything should be okay.

Latest resources

Back