Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-Cass JS denied cabin seat on Continental!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think everyone should relax about this situation before getting too bent. I've commuted out of DCA to Newark before on CAL. I'm not saying this didn't happen as described, but we are talking about something that the poster wasn't even there to witness. This is a "friend of a friend" story. I'd like to hear what the gate agent has to say.

Captain overs

Good luck talking to the gate agent. So you talk to the agent then you will come here and say the gate agent said blah blah blah blah. I have hade many good experiences while jumpseating and then I have had some I would rather have not taken. People have had some bad JS days and most of the times it could be easily corrected if the Captain of the flight was involved but most of the times that does not happen. This is an actual problem so stop trying to dress it up like some kind of misunderstanding. The gate agent could have spoken with the captain to obtain clarification but refused to. I have had our gate agents ask me to clarify the JS issue and the problem was resolved. Just because your buddy buddy with the gate agent does not mean that this was the Jump Seaters mistake.

Don't get your panties all bunched up. I'm not saying that it was a misunderstanding. I'm simply stating that you're hearing a story from a guy who wasn't even there. I'm sure there is more to the story and it wasn't a misunderstanding.

No we NEVER have gate agents that don't want to help out pilots, check with the captain, decide their own rules, are upset pilots fly free, etc etc etc.....NO NOT HERE.

Come on 90% of jumpseat problems are due to the gate agents.

mckpickle said:
No we NEVER have gate agents that don't want to help out pilots, check with the captain, decide their own rules, are upset pilots fly free, etc etc etc.....NO NOT HERE.

I agree 100%. Every jumpseat problem situation that I've encountered was COMPLETELY the gate agent's fault, not the crew. In every instance crews have bent over backwards to help me get to work/home. Two weeks ago a crowded airplane left with an empty seat in the back because the gate agent wanted it shut so there would be no delay issue, consequently I was left at the gate. There are some good gate agents, but I think many consider jumpseaters just an additional burden.

Captain Overs

Unfortunately I heard it from the person that was affected by this flawed system. It needs to be addressed by CAL and corrected to prevent this from happening again and hopefully the CAL pilots on this board will make some calls to have this issue addressed.

mckpickle said:

I agree with mckpickle, agents don't know crap. I had an American agent (Eagle station) tell me that she couldn't let me on the MD-80 with 5 open first class seats, because she "Couldn't put me in first class." Luckily, I had talked with the Captain while he was printing his paperwork. I made it on, no thanks to Ms. Genius.

I had a CAL gate agent tell me I (my company-CAL Connection) wasn't authorized to jumpseat. Funny thing is on her desk at the gate, underneath some plexiglass, there was the jumpseat list with my companies name on it. I pointed it out to her and she said that she was told we couldn't, so we can't. I even showed her how to pull it up on her computer. Even with it in front of her on the computer, she still said we couldn't. Thankfully her supervisor came over and asked the problem. She asked who I was with, I told her, and she told the agent "sure he can jumpseat, the list is right here" - pointing to the list under the plexiglass. Thankfully I got on.

As much as I like CAL, it seems there are a lot of gate agents who are clueless as to their own policies.

Another example - Checking in at TPA for a positive space deadhead to our companies HQ in Plattsburgh, NY the ticket agent told me "Continental doesn't have any service to Plattsburgh" and promptly cancelled my listing and told me to move along (really!). I refused, called our crew scheduling and demanded to speak to a supervisor. Again, the supervisor straightened things out. I have a few other fun examples as I am sure we all do. But I'd think it would be a requirement for the job for the gate agents to actually know a little bit about the companyy they are working for (ie destinations).

Captain Overs said:
Don't get your panties all bunched up. I'm not saying that it was a misunderstanding. I'm simply stating that you're hearing a story from a guy who wasn't even there. I'm sure there is more to the story and it wasn't a misunderstanding.

You are quite mistaken. The original post is simply a cut and paste of the letter written to our J/S coordinator by the pilot in question. It is not a story being repeated by someone who wasn't there.

This is a problem that I would like to see addressed and the the pilot who wrote the letter thanked me for forwarding his letter to flightinfo.com

I had a gate agent tell me once I couldn't travel on my own company because I wasn't in uniform. I work for the training department and was travelling on company business - not flying the line - and so was not supposed to be wearing a monkey suit. And this was in Dayton OH - our company headquarters and home of our training center.

Latest resources

Back