Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-Cass JS denied cabin seat on Continental!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Had to deal with this tired old windbag USAir agent in PIT that actually said the SHE OWNED the airplane while it was at the gate. Can you beleive that?...I've never seen a gate agents name on a flight release.

When I was an FO, I had a captain call the CP about a gate agent and he said that while the airplane is on the gate, it belongs to the gate agent. The captain has the power to keep someone off, but he can't override the gate agent when the GA says someone doesn't get on. It becomes the captains airplane when the door is closed. That's what my CP told my captain.

Of course the captain could always say "I have a small maintenence issue" and leave the gate agent to deal with a bunch of pissed off passengers.

I was in BOS in the JS (pre 9/11) and at that particular America West Gate the passengers parade in front of the airplane in front of some glass on the way to the jet bridge. While I was on I had told the captain that the cabin was going to be completely full (what I was told) as their were a ton non-revs trying to get a seat in the back. Right on cue, a family of non-revs go running by the glass only to be turned back by the agent on the top of the jet bridge. The two parents and two kids turned around with a dejected look on their face. When the same gate agent got to the cockpit the passenger count she gave the captain indicated their were 10+ seats left in the back. When the captain questioned this she stated "I am not going to take the delay to put non-revs on." Without missing a beat, the captain grabbed the cargo manifest and told the agent "I was just down on the ramp and I know their was way more cargo than this...I want this double checked before we leave." Without herself missing a beat the gate agent than stated "we'll put the non-revs on."

I even had an FAA inspector try to tell me that the Captain doesn't have any authority until the brake is released. I then asked him to tell me who's responsibility it was to release the brake then? He seemed stumped.

later

igneousy2 said:
I even had an FAA inspector try to tell me that the Captain doesn't have any authority until the brake is released. I then asked him to tell me who's responsibility it was to release the brake then? He seemed stumped.

That's friggin awesome. People of presumed position power never seem to pass up an opportunity to keep their mouths shut, do they? I guess it's hard to keep it shut when it's commonly filled with a foot!!

PapaGiorgio said:
Had to deal with this tired old windbag USAir agent in PIT that actually said the SHE OWNED the airplane while it was at the gate. Can you beleive that?...I've never seen a gate agents name on a flight release.

That same gate agent has told me the exact same thing.

I commute out of EWR on Express and I have problems with those gate agents too. The first question they ask me is "what is your airline's code?" When I tell them we are not in the CASS system they ask for the code anyway. When I tell them it is S5 they say it is some airline in Africa. Since our code is not in their system, we not authorized to jumpseat. I have had this problem at least 5 times in the last few months. Then I explain that the codes they are looking up is for CAL and not Express. (PapaGiogio and Skull1 already mentioned the difficulties with the CAL list.) I have only been completely denied twice. The other times the gate agent goes and asks the Captain who solves the problem.

I do not understand why it has to be so difficult.

SlapShot said:
I do not understand why it has to be so difficult.

Part of the problem is that the gate agents/ground crew are mainline Continental, handling an ExpressJet flight. Its bad enough that we expect the customer service agents to know how to do their job, but they have to know another carriers (ExpressJet) policies.

ExpressJet uses mainline ground services at hubs and stations where mainline also serves.

Hi!

What is the CAL policy in this situation:

The JS pilot IS in CASS, but the JS pilot's airline is NOT on the CAL list.

Can they JS because they're in CASS, or do they also have to be on the JS list?

Thanx!

CLiff
YIP

Letter from our J/S Coordinator

Our (PSA) j/s coordinator posted the following response today on our company message board.

The above problem has been submitted to the CAL j/s committee and we are awaiting a response.

A brief history up to this point... When Continental went CASS their agents started trying to verify all offline jumpseaters for the cockpit even though many (non-CASS) jumpseaters ride only in the cabin. CASS verification is only required by TSA for an offline pilot to ride in the cockpit but at CAL it's being done all of the time.

Many PSA pilots were denied because JS is not our ICAO or IATA two-letter airline code. WE DO NOT HAVE ONE (JS is only an internal US Airways designation).

Sometimes PSA pilots were approved: before US Airways went online with CASS, the US code would work at a Continental gate with the message something like "non CASS carrier, cabin seat approved".

Now that US Airways is online with CASS, if the US code is used together with a PSA ID number, a PSA pilot will probably be denied.

PSA has a reciprocal jumpseat agreement with Continental. We are awating a remedy on how they will acommodate us in the cabin until CASS is brought online here.

It's a good idea to have a backup plan (as always) when planning to jumpseat on Continental. Try your best to speak with the captain if a problem arises!

Latest resources

Back