Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Non-Cass JS denied cabin seat on Continental!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
scarlet said:
I got on the flight 3 hours later, and this agent knew what she was doing!! They have to put in the RIGHT--LISTEN the RIGHT AIRLINE....ASA--Atlantic Southeast Airlines...NOt DELTA PSA---NOT USair..it will deny you.

the first agent was putting in Delta and it knows that my employee number is not Delta....So make sure they are putting in who you really work for,,,not the major that you connect with....

Talked to Captain in IAH and he was upsat that the agent would not even discuss it with the captain of that flight.....
Again, I am very sorry this happened to you. I hope you know that this is NOT the doing of the pilots. We want very much to have you riding on our airplanes. That is why we included the unlimited JS in our concessionary agreement. I think you hit the nail on the head with what happend in DC to this PSA pilot. The agents probably put in the wrong airline. We obviously have bugs to be worked out with our new system.

I don't understand why they have to reinvent the wheel on this, The old forms would have worked just fine, and left alot more authority with the Captain. Sometimes I wonder if technology is really helping?

I have had this problem for the past couple of years with CAL. My airline has yet to enroll in CAS, however CoEX has an open JS policy and you do not need to be in CASS, just your id should do it. I had on CAL guy take me out of BOS because I caught him before I went to the gate agent a while back. On the other hand I have been denied by the crew as well, even after being let down the jetway to speak with him. This policy particularly sucks because I commute out of IAH. Thankfully CoEx flys damm near everywhere except for Europe out of IAH so it has'nt hurt to much.

Sorry....just to eleborate on the above statment....I'm not sure how old the cass system is but prior to that we tried several times to establish some kind of an agrement with there JS coordinator (a women at the time) and there response was they saw no benifit as to granting us js access, even though we flew through CLE quite a bit at the time. I took several CAL people back in those days and would mention it to them...They said they would look into it. Oh well, personally I would have a tough time leaving someone behind who was trying to go home and work or something. Fortuantly our company just leaves it up to the PIC who gets on and who does'nt. I feel that's how it should be everywhere...let the guys and gals driving worry about it, not the agents.

With new procedures and policies, it is up to the company to ensure that the gate agents are actually trained and given this new info. Don't be too quick to bash the gate agents, unless you know the info was disseminated through their ranks.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. The gate agents wouldn't allow him to speak to the Captain. There is no excuse for this!

Papagiorgio maybe working at the same airline as I do.

Shuttle America used to be on the CAL list prior to 9/11 but after that, we were removed. The only way we could be on the list again is if we were on the CASS system. This came from the CAL administrator, and not the J/s coordinator. Up to now, CAL management is reluctant to put us on the system.

Since, we are flying in and out of HOU, Texas, and CLE, is there CAL pilots here who can pass this along to the folks who maybe able to resolve this issue.

We have let a lot of CAL pilots ride on us eventhough they are not on our list. We want to prevent any denied J/S on both ends. Currently we fly the E170's for the United Express and Delta Connection.

PapaGiorgio said:
I have had this problem for the past couple of years with CAL. My airline has yet to enroll in CAS, however CoEX has an open JS policy .

Continental and Continental Express (ExpressJet) are two different companies with two different jumpseat policies.

The following is from a company memo....

US Airways will implement the CASS system for domestic flights on November 17th, 2005. This will allow US Airways pilots the ability to occupy jumpseats on other carriers who participate in the CASS program. In order to comply with CASS requirements, a pilot must check-in at the participating carrier's boarding gate with at least a company ID and a current passport. Many airlines also require your pilot certificate and/or a current medical certificate. The CASS process is only required if a pilot needs to occupy the cockpit jumpseat. Our normal jumpseat approval system is all that's required for a seat in the cabin. The gate agent will send a message using a six (6) digit employee number that will query the OA pilot's employee database to verify he/she is an active employee. In return, the agent will then be sent a message stating:

CASS Request Approved
CASS Request Denied
OAL Does Not Participate in CASS
or
Unknown Error Connecting

CASS jumpseat requests that are returned "CASS Request Denied" will not be authorized access to the aircraft. If denied, verify that a six (6) digit employee number was entered. (i.e. 000123, 001234, 012345) CASS jumpseat requests that are returned "OAL Does Not Participate in CASS" or "Unknown Error Connecting" will be allowed access to the cabin if a seat is available. If a CASS request is approved, the TSA requires that person to ride in the cabin if a seat is available

Latest resources

Back