• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Noise Cancelling Headsets?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do know that they have or are stopping the SWA guys from using them. But I don't know, they sound cool to me. ( the FAA ranks right up there with the TSA in my opinion)

Actually it was SWA that was trying to stop the pilots from using them, the Bose Q2. There is no reg that requires the use of a TSO approved headset.

It's also my understanding that the UZFLYMIKE is for the Q2, not the Q3. UFLYMIKE is working on getting the TSO.

Anyway I have the Bose X and love it, and it is TSOed, for its price it should be

Last edited:
The feds are watching for this now and alerting the compines they they are not to use non-TSO'd headsets. So be carefule be for your buy a great headset that you wont be allowed to use.

Last I heard the U-Fly got the TSO.

Last I heard the U-Fly got the TSO.

That is correct. The Bose QC2 with the UFlymike has a Technical Service Order (TSO) and there is no FAA prohibition from using the setup as far as I know. Mike's employer, SWA, has prohibited its crews from using the setup which is unfortunate.

Given the noise levels in our cockpits, I consider it a safety issue (not to mention fatigue) and would press the company for another TSO'd and STC'd noise cancelling headset should they try and prohibit us from using the QC2 setup. The cheesy Telex's we have in the cockpits are brutal. I consider the QC2 and UFlymike among the best $500 I have ever spent in my aviation career.

Gun,

A couple of bigger issues here too regarding this WONDERFUL product.

Bose was pissed because, even though the QC2 (their product) was featured as part of this setup, their existing line of NC Headsets that they charge WAY TOO MUCH FOR was being impacted. You'd think they'd be happy about the increased sales of the QC2 but... whatever.

SWA lawyers probably though that the fact a SWA pilot MADE the U-FLY MIC set-up and many of their crews used (use :cool: ) the adapter set up was a bit too close for comfort in the liability sense. Lawyers... sheesh.

Bottom line. THIS IS A WONDERFUL PRODUCT FOR ANY PROFESSIONAL PILOT. I don't endorse crap, never have. Every once in a while a really cool product comes out that really improves quality of life on the road for me. This is the best one since the digital E6B computer (loved that thing). I enjoy dispatchers much more now!

the U FLY MIC never got big business' approval so Bose sought to sue the small guy. When that failed, they sought to destroy his customer base by scaring SWA and the FAA into thinking that a pilots choice of headset would cause an airplane to immediately explode because it wasn't TSO'd.

Mike got the darn thing TSO'd. End of story. Who lost? Big business (BOSE). I love it!!!

Who won? The little guy... and me.

They can have my uflymike when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I consider the QC2 and UFlymike among the best $500 I have ever spent in my aviation career.

Good to hear. After countless recommendations, I ordered the UFlyMike last week (awesome customer service, by the way), and just picked up the QC2 today. Can't wait to try them!

Latest resources

Back