• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

missing man

Any day flyin' is GREAT!!
Here is the deal...

We leave SMO (Santa Monica) about 3pm and get the call. "You guys in your departure violated the 90db limit with a Beechjet" WTF! I don't know what we could have done differently. Those of you with the know please let me know.

Thanks

Whats your noise abatment procedure? In the CL30 after 400ft we reduce power and pitch to climb at 1000ft per minute at a target of v2 plus15. At 1500'AFL we accelerate as necessary to flap retraction speed and retract the flaps. At 3000' afl we resume normal climb schedule and gradual application of power. I did this in the LR60 also.

it's 95 dbl and if you busted it then you need to try harder. Most of the time I'm out of there under 85 and on a really good day don't even register. I think it's in the low 80's that it doesn't register.

Rotate to 17 degrees, then reduce power at 400 AFL. Works in the 45 and the 300. Never got close to the limit. It's a tricky maneuver. Need to practice on empty legs at other airports.

Flops

Flops beechjet is to rotate to 15, raise gear and leave 10 flaps out, at end of runway pull power to 83 percent and hold V2 till the beach. Max TO wt. is 15,500lbs.

Here is the deal...

We leave SMO (Santa Monica) about 3pm and get the call. "You guys in your departure violated the 90db limit with a Beechjet" WTF! I don't know what we could have done differently. Those of you with the know please let me know.

Thanks

They need to get over themselves. They knew what they were doing when they bought a house near the airport.

Flops beechjet is to rotate to 15, raise gear and leave 10 flaps out, at end of runway pull power to 83 percent and hold V2 till the beach. Max TO wt. is 15,500lbs.

Very similar to our ops. Except we use 400' instead of the end of the runway for the power reduction. It's an aggressive manuver esp with pax on board. Get the nose up quick and most of all rake that power back quickly.

SMO is the worst with its 4900 ft stamp and the proximity to homes. I certainly don't care to continue going in there.

Here is the deal...

Thanks

So what happened anyway? a Letter? fine?

The day I retire I want to do a static take off in a LJ 25 out of SMO @ 2 am. Unfortunately I would have to be very light. That would be my single digit salute.

In my experience the people in the noise abatement office are very helpful. They may even provide a few "unofficial" tips for getting out of there within limits based on your type of aircraft. Don't quote me but the fines begin around $5K after a warning or two.

After the holidays it would be worth the time to call and talk with them. Nothing beats practicing your technique on some empty legs at other airports, in the name of proficiency of course. The maneuver seems abrupt at first but it can be done safely and effectively.

Lastly, when leaving SMO with passengers, during the brief I warn them that it will be a more aggressive departure maneuver than normal. If they don't care for that kind of maneuvering perhaps you can use that fact to persuade them to choose another airport next time.

Latest resources

Back