Noise abatement at SMO SUCKS!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Here is the deal...

We leave SMO (Santa Monica) about 3pm and get the call. "You guys in your departure violated the 90db limit with a Beechjet" WTF! I don't know what we could have done differently. Those of you with the know please let me know.

Thanks

The limit is 95db.

Flaps 10
Hold brakes until takeoff power reached
Airspeed V2+10
At gear retraction Power 78%
Hold V2+10 until shore line
Flaps up
Set power MCT

it's 95 dbl and if you busted it then you need to try harder. Most of the time I'm out of there under 85 and on a really good day don't even register. I think it's in the low 80's that it doesn't register.

How do you find out what your dbl was after the fact? Do you call the noise office or something?

How do you find out what your dbl was after the fact? Do you call the noise office or something?

There is a frequency in the FOM, and I think on the 10-9 Jepp page. There is also a phone number. Usually they don't answer either one. I call them on the phone and leave a message stating my name, tail, departure time, and call back number. I will normally have a vioce mail waiting when I land.

Guys,

Alot of great info! Thanks so much! We did not get a fine just a warning. This is probably going to become an airport we can't do ops into which does not matter since we are east coast based.

Have a happy New Year,

Missing Man

Rotate to 17 degrees, then reduce power at 400 AFL. Works in the 45 and the 300. Never got close to the limit. It's a tricky maneuver. Need to practice on empty legs at other airports.

How is this a tricky maneuver? Climb like a bastard, reduce the power, that's it.

1. Because the goal is to pull your nose up, and your power back. I don't know about you, but that's against every instinct that I have.

2. There is no charted power setting or pitch attitude. Just trial and error.

3. You're doing this close to the ground.

I believe the idea of the noise abatement departure is to gain as much altitude over the airport so you can lower the nose at the departure end of the runway which in turn points those noisy engines away from the ground.

rotate, climb v2 + 30, at the end of the runway reduce power to about 75% n1 and climb at 500fpm to the shore line. Works good last long time.

They need to get over themselves. They knew what they were doing when they bought a house near the airport.
Thanks what I'm talking about!

CDG has sensors all over the place...Set one off and it's 25,000 euros ($35,000)...no warning.

Latest resources

Back