• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Noise abatement at SMO SUCKS!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is a frequency in the FOM, and I think on the 10-9 Jepp page. There is also a phone number. Usually they don't answer either one. I call them on the phone and leave a message stating my name, tail, departure time, and call back number. I will normally have a vioce mail waiting when I land.

Also, inside SMO Atlantic Aviation there are flier handouts with the noise abatement info available.

Basically, if you bust it the plane is barred from flying into SMO for life.

Silly but true.

I believe the idea of the noise abatement departure is to gain as much altitude over the airport so you can lower the nose at the departure end of the runway which in turn points those noisy engines away from the ground.

rotate, climb v2 + 30, at the end of the runway reduce power to about 75% n1 and climb at 500fpm to the shore line. Works good last long time.

Incorrect, it's not about pointing engines away. By lowering the nose you need less power to maintain a given airspeed. By reducing power you reduce noise. It's just as noisy next to a jet engine as behind it. It's just a lot more windy behind.

If they don't like the noise, close the airport.

I have a better idea: If they don't like the noise, move away from the f---ing airport that's been there for over ninety years. I have no patience for these people who move next to existing airports. None.

Do not like the noise procedure at SMO procedure ... go to LAX.

SMO like airports are going to become more and more common. Ever go to Europe ... better not be setting off the noise moniters there!

Get used to it, SMO rules are going to become more and more prevelent in the future.

Last edited:
It's an UNSAFE MANEUVER. Forget worrying about noise and fly the airplane. If they don't like the noise, close the airport.

????

What is unsafe about pulling the power back and lowering the nose? Airplane is still climbing.

If you do it right one guy flies and the other adjusts power ....

But you are right about closing the airport. Just close it if you do not like the noise. LAX is less hastle.

I agree with G100. What is so unsafe about that maneuver? Your always above V2 (usually a few knots above). So you pull the power back a little bit, BIG DEAL! FLY THE AIRPLANE! The airplane will not all of a sudden fall out of the sky.

My .04 cents (adjusted for inflation)

Yes, it is a hard maneuver if you are trying to keep the plane in the air with your ass cheeks squeezed really tight. Just relax. Climb fast. At the end of the runway level off somewhat and pull the power back really far as you cross the sensors, you'll never even register. The plane won't fall out of the air.

HS

I agree with G100. What is so unsafe about that maneuver? Your always above V2 (usually a few knots above). So you pull the power back a little bit, BIG DEAL! FLY THE AIRPLANE! The airplane will not all of a sudden fall out of the sky.

My .04 cents (adjusted for inflation)
In the 45 it's actually a simple manuever. Just my .06 cents

Latest resources

Back