• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Noise abatement at SMO SUCKS!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess you guys took that as an opportunity to prove that your piloting skills are better? :) I think it's an unsafe maneuver; therefore, they can listen to my pipes every time I go out of there. Or, is this just my little way of pissing off all those morons that live at the end of the runway that's been there 90 years?

I guess you guys took that as an opportunity to prove that your piloting skills are better? :) I think it's an unsafe maneuver; therefore, they can listen to my pipes every time I go out of there. Or, is this just my little way of pissing off all those morons that live at the end of the runway that's been there 90 years?

I am still confused ... what is dangerous about reducing the power 10 or so percent and lowering the nose 5 or so degrees?

Do your hands tremble when when you level off? ;) :)

Last edited:
Airlines do these noise-abatement climbs ALL the time.....

...AND, in many cases, are doing a FLEX T/O to begin with.

Pretty cool doing a FLEX T/O, then hitting the CLMB-PWR button and watching the EPR roll back and the plane pitch to V2+10.....

It 'aint that big a deal.

Next time you're at FSI, blow off the steep turns and do something useful....

...like practice some real-world line-flying ops....

Just a thought. But IMHO, you'll get more out of a scenario like that then those same old steep turns you always do.......

...think about it....

Airlines do these noise-abatement climbs ALL the time.....

...AND, in many cases, are doing a FLEX T/O to begin with.

Pretty cool doing a FLEX T/O, then hitting the CLMB-PWR button and watching the EPR roll back and the plane pitch to V2+10.....

It 'aint that big a deal.

Actually, performing a Flex T.O. will usually put you at a disadvantage in a noise abatement manuever. The idea (especially at SMO) is to both accelerate and gain altitude as quickly as possible. Assuming you're not too heavy, the combination of power reduction and pitch-over prior to the noise sensors should combine to drop your dBa to well below limits.

Next time you're at FSI, blow off the steep turns and do something useful....

...like practice some real-world line-flying ops....

Just a thought. But IMHO, you'll get more out of a scenario like that then those same old steep turns you always do.......

...think about it....

This is a wonderful theory and I agree with you wholeheartedly. But unless you've got unlimited sim time and / or this maneuver is secifically writtten into your training manual, it rarely works in (135) practice. For example, according to our training guidance the first 2 sim sessions (high and hot, then cold, ASE, etc.) are practice for the 3rd session checkride. No progressive checking here. There's barely enough sim time available to accomplish our minimum training requirements.

Now if you have a cool sim instructor, then I guess what goes on in the sim stays in the sim...;)

How is this a tricky maneuver? Climb like a bastard, reduce the power, that's it.

With LAX so close you can not climb that high. SO you pitch up to fast you will bust your altitude and SOCAL will violate you. In the 60 I find the easiest thing to do is rotate, gear up, V2 until the end of the runway then nose to 5 degrees power to 70% and coast out to the shore. Everytime I do this we do not even register with the NAO.
Now if the new laws that Santa Monica is working on passes then pretty much all jets will be banned from SMO. "Safety" ya know.

With LAX so close you can not climb that high. SO you pitch up to fast you will bust your altitude and SOCAL will violate you. In the 60 I find the easiest thing to do is rotate, gear up, V2 until the end of the runway then nose to 5 degrees power to 70% and coast out to the shore. Everytime I do this we do not even register with the NAO.
Now if the new laws that Santa Monica is working on passes then pretty much all jets will be banned from SMO. "Safety" ya know.

Oh no, you mean I have to level off at 2 or 3 thousand feet? Sounds difficult.

All Flexjet aircraft are capable of a DNR (did not register) noise abatement departure at SMO. That means less than 80 decibles.

To the best of my knowledge, all multi-engine jets fly safely at V2/T.O. flaps very safely. Even after an engine failure. Best on 2 or all engines though.

If you are exceeding the 95 decible limit you are either doing nothing to reduce noise, or you are a hack.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back