• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Al Coholic

By Julie Johnsson
Crain's Business Chicago

As if massive layoffs, wage concessions and the prospect of losing billions of dollars in pension benefits were not quite enough, United Airlines is now reminding pilots to take it easy on the bottled water.

A dryly worded Feb. 23 memo told pilots to ask flight attendants for a glass of water instead of taking bottled water into the cockpit, except on international flights (excluding Canada), trips to Hawaii and domestic flights exceeding 2,100 miles.

United says other employees complained that pilots were nabbing water bottles from drink carts, leaving passengers high and dry. "In many instances, we've run short of bottled water on shorter flights," adds a United spokesman.

Dubbed the "water letter," the memo reiterates a seldom-enforced policy in place for years before United's bankruptcy. Its timing, more than its content, angered pilots. "It didn't change anything, just emphasized something that made everybody mad," says one pilot who asked not to be named.

BLADDER-BUSTING LITER BOTTLES

The spat centers on bladder-busting liter bottles, more water than a pilot would typically need on a short trip. For more than five years, the airline's policy has been to stock bottles in the cockpit only on trips longer than four hours.

Pilots can take any unfinished portion off the aircraft, but not any unopened bottles, Captain Mark Sebby, United's manager for line operations, wrote in the memo.

On shorter trips, pilots must summon flight attendants to provide them with a glass of water. Nowadays, that's cumbersome while airborne, requiring two flight attendants to secure the cockpit safety door.

So why not just provide more water for pilots? "To board additional bottles on every flight would be a fairly significant expense," the United spokesman says.

At least one council of the union representing pilots based in Chicago urged members to file safety reports for dehydration.

"It certainly shows the real difficult problems that are at United," says labor expert Joshua Javits, former chairman of the National Mediation Board. "There's an enormous amount of discouragement, and morale issues."

Not to mention thirsty pilots.

You have got to be F'ing kidding me? So the company wants dehydrated pilots flying around. Someone should tell OK city aeromedical. I am sure they would love this.

These major airline "professional" pilots are continuing to lower the bar for all of us. Even penny-pinching regional airlines never squawk about pilots consuming any sort of beverage or snacks. I say we deny them the jumpseat until they get the picture.

note for the clueless: this is a joke.

Preservation of cash?

UAL cannot afford to spend 2-4 bucks (I assume wholesale prices for water???) for a couple of water bottles for the pilots. Penny pinching, middle management But Monkeys comes to mind. Lock these bone heads in their orifice for two hours at a time without taking a leak or drinking anything. Lets see how long this stupid policy lastest.
Kidney stones and other problems will leak out, causing an increase in sick calls.

Lock these bone heads in their orifice for two hours at a time without taking a leak or drinking anything.

How about a hyperbaric chamber at 8000 ft pressure altitude (dry air), no water, while talking constantly on a radio? It gives me a headache thinking about it.

Geez, and I thought we were cheap.

Of course, UAL management thought nothing of pissing away hundreds of millions of dollars on that Avolar debacle, and probably another hundred million on the failed USAir merger, but spending a buck a day per working pilot for water? That's a savings :rolleyes: .

These dummies couldn't run a frigging Starbucks.

And, from the safety aspect- it is recommended to drink 8 ounces of water per hour while in flight, so I'm sure Habib will be delighted to know the door is going to open once an hour . . . to save fifty cents.

GMAFB!

"here's some water for ya. Any chance for a ride to work?"

If you are asking for a jumpseat on United,........it might be a good idea to bring the front end crew a few bottles of water in exchange for the jumpseat ride.

Of course......if they deny you the jumpseat because they "consider you a threat" to their career, take your two bottles of water back and wish them luck.

Ha ! I can't believe that memo. what a joke. The CEO of United should be ashamed.

BBD

Ty Webb said:
Geez, and I thought we were cheap.

Of course, UAL management thought nothing of pissing away hundreds of millions of dollars on that Avolar debacle, and probably another hundred million on the failed USAir merger, but spending a buck a day per working pilot for water? That's a savings :rolleyes: .

Don't forget spending cash on company stock when it was 80 bucks a share. That essentially put several truckloads of cash right into the paper shredder.

At Xj we had a memo asking pilots and FA's to refill the liter bottles at the airport for reuse.

Latest resources

Back