• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No pressure fatigue calls?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"It will be the responsibility of the Chief Pilot to review the pilot’s fatigue situation..."

I'm just going to assume that I'm not getting paid and if that's the case I'm not going to waste much time trying to justify myself to anyone. Most every dealing I have with the CP office leaves me wondering why I bothered talking to them in the first place anyway.

I agree completely, I just felt like standing around and staring at a wall for 30 minutes after my recent Chief Pilot interactions...

FOM "The pilot must also
contact his/her Chief Pilot. It will be the responsibility of the Chief Pilot to
review the pilot’s fatigue situation."

-Hey, Ken.. It's me again. Can you tell me if I'm fatigued or not?

-I'm sick of you guys not wanting to fly!!! Now get out of my office and let me get back to sleeping and drooling on my desk.

i was told in the other thread that we are so professional here that the CP's harassment doesn't matter

what guidelines do chief pilots use in reviewing your situation?

the couple in the room next to you "bonded" all night and it kept you awake - is that valid? kids running up and down the hallway? sometimes it just takes one instance to wake you up and then you are up all night.

or sometimes its no reason at all. maybe you are so exhausted that you couldn't sleep.

I believe any reason (or no reason at all) is a valid reason for fatigue. If you are fatigued - you are fatigued. A cp is going to tell me I shouldn't be fatigued????

I
M
S
A
F (unless a chief pilot says otherwise)
E

I agree with you no delay. like i said in another thread, they can't ever know how I feel unless they have that magical body exchange transporter. maybe uncle rico is trying to get his hands on that now instead of his time machine?

This is a slippery slope that can create a bad situation for the pilot group with either company direction on fatigue.

If the company is unreasonable in its attempts to prevent people from calling in fatigued, it will pressure pilots to fly who should not be flying. If the company is completely hands-off in its approach to fatigue calls, as in 'anything' goes and a pilot can always call in fatigued for any reason at any time with pay and no occurence, there will be mass abuse of the fatigue system. With mass abuse of the fatigue system, the company will not be able to be competitive with peer group airlines, but more immediately, the pilot group will be hit with mass extensions and junior manning.

My middle ground solution to this problem would include no occurence for fatigue calls, but a joint company and ALPA committe, possibly in conjunction with ASAP, would retain discretion on pay. If you were fatigued due to circumstances beyond your control, you get paid. If you were out late boozin' it up, nada.

Last edited:
If we are true professionals here like I was told in the other thread there should be no mass abuse of the fatigue call system. We should have enough integrity to only use that as it was intended.

My middle ground solution to this problem would include no occurence for fatigue calls, but a joint company and ALPA committe, possibly in conjunction with ASAP, would retain discretion on pay. If you were fatigued due to circumstances beyond your control, you get paid. If you were out late boozin' it up, nada.

Not a good idea to involve ASAP. ASAP is usually the first casualty when labor/management relations get tense. No sense hastening that process by involving ASAP in pay issues.

Latest resources

Back