• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more SMO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the people who spend the big $$$ for these transporation tools and employ us to fly them do so for one primary reason: to get them safely as close to their desired destination as possible. While SMO might not be the "ideal" airport for some aircraft that doesn't mean operations in and out of there are done so with any real compromise to safety. 4987' dry is plenty for most corporate aircraft flown by capable pilots. Regardless of the spin the city may put on it, the banning of these aircraft is about noise, not operational safety.

If "Completing the Mission" would require that safety be compromised, then I'm in complete agreement with you. In the context of normal ops at SMO, I don't see where safety is compromised.

I agree with you on all your points but even if they closed SMO period. You would not lose your job. The TSA and the airlines keep us employed. They will suck it up and ride the limo to VNY or BUR or LAX instead. So do not fear the reaper on this one.

I am glad to see the FAA grow a set of nads on this one. It is not the FAA's fault for the situation there.
To look deeper into the problem it is in fact a problem that the city did poor planning in the 60's that lead them to where they are today.
In the 60's they had about 6-10 jet operations per day and it just took off from there. The 80's were a little slow but the 90's just doubled year after year. Today there is over 300 jet operations from SMO per day.
Use google earth and look at many airport around the country. What is right next to airports? Water treatment plants, Park areas, Cemetary plots, Industrial areas and shopping areas. Those city planners had vision and kept house out of these areas. Now look at SMO--What do you see? Houses-tons of them tucked up next to the taxiway and at the end of the runways. Greed got them where they are today. While I feel sorry for the people living there dealing with the noise, pollution and constant rattling of the walls. I see them as trying to get a little piece of So Cal on the cheap. Now they cry to the city to save them and their homes. So the city started its crusade.
I think they finally figured out they overstepped the boundries with the FAA.
The city made this bed and now they have to lay in it...

Just wanted your opinions, do you really think that they would call the police and have the flight crew arrested??

Just wanted your opinions, do you really think that they would call the police and have the flight crew arrested??

Based on the draconian level the noise police would operate at, yes. The city of SMO would probably do something similar to the Brazilian government did to those Legacy pilots.

Although I would rule out jail time. You would just get a big honkin fine.

I think if the courts find in favor of the city, pilots being arrested and charged with a midemeanor for violating the ordinance is certainly possible, if not probable.

When ASE started cracking down on noise 15 years or so back, the Pitikin Co. sheriff would drive up to the offending airplane and threaten the crews with arrest. More than one warrant was actually issued. Operators who showed up with a non-noise compliant aircraft found they were not allowed to enplane or deplane their passengers and had to immediately leave.

What a lame policy! Faster does not mean louder. Aren't they concerned about noise? I've operated Hawkers and Beechjets in and out of there in the past for years within the limits. So now you can take the Hawker in if you're heavy? How are they going to know? But not all stage III aircraft are created equal.

Latest resources

Back