• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No more shortcuts or direct routing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt it...I sure a controller could chime in, but they seem to get a lot of latitude when it comes to weather avoidance, and if they don't give it, I usually take it. We can talk about loss of traffic separation on the phone, but convectively induced aircraft part separation is usually non-habit-forming. I would be voicing some significant objections if I didn't feel confortable with the release. I can't remember the last dispatcher killed in an airplane crash. They are involved. We're committed. Difference between involved and committed? Like the story about ham and eggs, chicken is involved, the pig is committed.

As an aside, we are getting some insane alternates at work. Two days ago we got EVV for STL, coming out of EWR. I ended up calling FSS to see what COU, SPI, SGF, and MCI were doing, and then amended our release...Evansville? WTF?

I'm not an airline pilot, but from what I've been hearing, much authority has been taken away from the captain recently. I've heard anything from rampies that won't push a buttoned up airplane early until the clock hits zero, to rampies who won't park an airplane that is not doing a single engine taxi.

Is all this true, or just the rumor mill at work? If it is, is there anything the pilot group can do? This sounds rediculous! Especially this latest one not allowing you guys to ask for shortcuts....:rolleyes:

but from what I've been hearing, much authority has been taken away from the captain recently.

You mean like jumpseats?

BTW, this thread reminds me of an old captain who once asked me at the beginning of a month, "You gonna cheat on the times, or am I gonna fly slow?"

Latest resources

Back