• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No Military for CAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The issue with O's and E's rarely is with the flyers--on either side.

The non-aviator officers are usually the guys spoiling to make point, especially with someone in a flightsuit. Ditto the enlisted hazing of an officer with (gasp) an unauthorized morale patch or set of sunglasses on his head. Many times to agitator is a retired guy hanging out trying to make himself feel important since he doesn't really have the same clout in his new environment.

I've boozed hard and often with our E force at countless hooches in Alaska, Guam, Turkey, and on TDYs whenever we hit the road. Our crew chiefs and maintainers are all world class. My best friend at FDX was a 141 driver, and he had some great buddies that were engineers or loadmasters.

Again--my issue is with "that guy"...the one who showed up just hoping to start a ruccus with an (officer/pilot/Guard guy/fill in the blank) to make himself feel better about himself. When that guy was an officer--I had no problem telling him to "(fill in the blank) himself". When a Retired enlisted MSgt or Chief did the same thing--its a lose/lose issue if you fight back. I've found it easier over the years to just keep away from the Barney Fife's of both the O and E ranks. The O's I could recognize coming--the E's I could not--so I just tried to keep some distance from the ones I didn't work with day to day.

Absolutely no offense intended to the outstanding Enlisted guys and gals out there... Nobody moves a wheel without everyone on the team...

Last edited:
As a former enlisted guy, I completely agree with you. Sometimes you want to be able to talk (or vent) without always having to look over your shoulder.
If I knew the guy who writes my fitness report is a few tables away, I might as well be back at the shop.

I interviewed at Continental a few months ago. My application showed a significant military background, so they naturally asked quite a few questions about it. Not a big deal there, but then one interviewer, who had a Marine Aviator background, started asking a number of questions about my submarine service and my activities in Afghanistan. I answered what I could, but he did ask some pointed questions that I wasn't at liberty to answer. He then asked if I was still active in the reserves. I was. The remainder of the questions had a slightly confrontational tone. I was not offerred the position.

Also interviewed at SWA, they asked the normal questions, as well as if I was still active in the Reserves. I thought that interview went well. Did not get the job (nor did anyone else that interviewed that day).

I really don't think either CAL or SWA was specifically "discriminating" against reservists, but at least in CAL's case, I feel it did lead to a slightly more confrontational line of questioning, possibly looking for a classic "type A" personality? Didn't think that was my case.

While it may be troubling that reserve participation is a part of the interview process, as many have pointed it out, there are quite a few pilots that abuse MIL leave. Both need to stop.

At least there is still a happy ending, I'm now flying 737's, and domiciled where I've been living anyway. For me, it doesn't get any better than that! They ALSO asked about my reserve participation, which apparently didn't bother them at all. This company (AirTran) appears to have a more supportive culture! That or I simply got better at the interview process after all the practice!

Congrats on the job.

At least there is still a happy ending, I'm now flying 737's, and domiciled where I've been living anyway. For me, it doesn't get any better than that! They ALSO asked about my reserve participation, which apparently didn't bother them at all. This company (AirTran) appears to have a more supportive culture! That or I simply got better at the interview process after all the practice!

When I interviewed at AT last week they made a POINT to stress that they support guard and reserve participation and our country's military.
How senior were you, agewise, to get the 73 vs 717?

When I interviewed at AT last week they made a POINT to stress that they support guard and reserve participation and our country's military.
How senior were you, agewise, to get the 73 vs 717?

I was number six, at the age of 41, in my class of 24. There were nine vacancies for the 737. It went right down the line, the nine oldest decided on the 737. I think the youngest to get the 737 was about 37.

The following classes had more of a 50/50 ratio, might have gone younger.

It won't matter in two years, when the equipment lock is up anyway.

Both are great airplanes, and it really wouldn't have mattered to me which one I wound up on. I'm just glad to be here!

Good luck!

One of the best posts I've ever read on this forum.

Hag

Contact USERRA.

By the way...define "mil leave abuse". Who decides what is or is not important enough work to justify being on orders? If a reservist activates for 30 days over the holiday so the overworked active duty guys get a break, is that somehow wrong? Why should the airline employees be more protected from working a holiday than an active duty service person?

Employers have the right to call military units requesting relief from taskings. They usually don't--because they know they'll come off as unpatriotic or not supportive. Instead--they individually pressure employees who are on leave. What does the reservist/guardsman say who is asked to pony up and work over the holidays so some over-worked active duty guys can have time off? "Sorry--bad time...they'll need to suck it up. But ask me again in January and perhaps they can go take some leave then?"

Employers need to quit badgering the guy or gal caught in the no-win middle of these fights and contact their USERRA omsbudsman and/or the employees military supervisors.

Every unit is different. Every story is different. Nailing someone because they had to perform duty when it was "inconvenient" for the airline without getting the full story is wrong. The guy who dropped a month may have done so to go to Red Flag or another similar training event that are hard to get every 2-3 years... That week that conflicted with a "bad trip" may have been so he could get his night squares done for the year--sometimes tough for part-timers when the unit only has 7-8 periods a year on a night schedule. For Viper guys---masters of many trades--the chance to do SEAD, CAS, or Maverick rides may be limited due to range availablity. These guys will go when they can get the training.

Turn on CNN. Count the stories about all the guys who hate us and want to kill us. Then rethink why we have the reserve forces. There are some good deals to being part of the team, but there is also a heck of a lot of work and responsiblity. I've said this before, but for most guys doing both jobs you soon find out you really just can't make everyone happy, and sometimes you just have to suck it up and get it done.

Has anyone heard a rumor that Continental isn't hiring Guard or Reserve guys now because of the threat of military leave?

Just got the good words I'll be flying for CAL - starting class in December! My background is strictly military - F-15's on AD, and now F-16's in the ANG. So it looks like CAL is still hiring Mil folks. The interview was actually really enjoyable - they want to see you answer their questions thoroughly, but BE yourself. I think overall they want to see a well rounded type individual, and a guy that really wants to be at CAL. My mil commitment came up during my panel interview, however I gave the guys a straight forward, honest answer and they seemed pleased. They also told me they are very pro military and want me to serve my commitment with the ANG while still flying for CAL, and it seemed that was the heartfelt truth when they said it.

For the prep - I did it with Albie at Emerald Coast and it was awesome! I highly recommend it. It definetly gave me a good deal of confidence before I walked in the panel. For the sim, make sure you prep as well - especially if you're a fighter guy. I prepped with Alteon at DFW at it was right on the money. If you've never flown a heavy type jet, I highly recommend doing some kind of prep before you go do the sim ride for the interview. You won't be pristine at flying the thing, but you'll have a very good idea on the flows and profile you'll be doing. And while they don't expect you to fly the thing like a seasoned captain, they do want to see you always cross checking making corrections when you're off altitude/airspeed.

Any questions PM me - best of luck to all.

Last edited:
Another form of mil leave abuse is waiting for your schedule to be posted and then calling the unit to arrange drill so you can avoid the commute. Seen that happen before. The guy would brag about how many times he didn't have to commute to the airline job thanks to his reserve unit.

Another form of mil leave abuse is waiting for your schedule to be posted and then calling the unit to arrange drill so you can avoid the commute. Seen that happen before. The guy would brag about how many times he didn't have to commute to the airline job thanks to his reserve unit.

Tell us how you really feel. Maybe I sense a slight bit of animosity. You don't "arrange drill," you utilize either drill periods or Flying Training Periods when you need to fly and the scheduler can put you in the schedule. Drill periods are there to use at any time, however mainly most guardsmen use them on their particular drill weekends. Guys have to stay current so they're combat ready - it takes a lot more than just deciding on a Wednesday to show up at your unit and slide into the schedule. PM me and I'll fill you in on exactly how the process works, if you're so inclined.

Latest resources

Back