• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NO JS to anti-ALPA types

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If Poor Pookie wanted a cheerleader, he should have cruised high schools; he asked a guy's opinion and got it. If he didn't want the j/s side of the story, should have never asked. For those who profess to deny the jumpseat for political reasons [while captain's discretion, I do not buy at all a safety of flight issue--it comes down to politics for denial (or performance)], perhaps you should question your own ethics and what it means to be professional. If this is the collective mindset (exclusion-inclusion for one, zero-sum for another or even a social identity crisis) that is preached, it should be no wonder why having a legally binding contract and being ALPA need not go hand in hand.

Want my jumpseat? You'll answer my questions...If you're a VirginAmerica, jetBlue, or AirTran guy...I might even ask if you have an ALPA card. The answer isn't really important. The way you answer is.

Don't like it?

Waaaaah!

Here's a germane passage from policy:

Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA.

Isn't it ironic that the most fervent of ALPA sycophants have no problem blowing off ALPA's own policy? And they probably honestly wonder why pilot groups aren't lining up to get in.

Last edited:
so according to this seemingly contrary language, 'due' consideration is given when determining boarding priority, and that's all. IOW, ALPA dude gets on ahead of unaffiliated dude if it comes down to it (all at the PICs discretion).

I don't think they are contrary. It merely says not to use the jumpseat as means of "punishing, coercing or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals."

Now if two jumpseaters are in the same boarding priority and ask for it at the same time, "due consideration should be given to union affiliation." So if the captain decides to give the jumpseat to the ALPA pilot as opposed to the APA pilot, that does NOT mean he is "punishing, coercing or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals."

But if the ALPA Jumpseat policy language really bothers you that much, do something about it. That is how any ALPA policy is changed or created, by individuals caring enough to volunteer and make a difference.

Last edited:
I will pick and choose who rides up front and if you dont have the decency to better the profession, I dont want you around my cockpit.

I know that the jumpseat should not be used for political purposes but i am frustrated to these new pilots that only think about themselves.

The jumpseat agreement was provided by ALPA and fought by ALPA. If you dont support that, you are no longer allowed in my plane.

I think this pretty much sums it up. If you don't want unions, don't whine that union-attained benefits are not available to you.

Here's a germane passage from policy:

Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA.

Isn't it ironic that the most fervent of ALPA sycophants have no problem blowing off ALPA's own policy? And they probably honestly wonder why pilot groups aren't lining up to get in.

Why am I not surprised you'd misinterpret my post?

I'll make this simple, so perhaps even you will understand it:

1. The FAR's supercede ALPA policy.
2. There is a critieria, beyond merely clearing CASS, to ride in the cockpit of an airliner.
3. Compliance with that criteria requires the PIC to ascertain if the "candidate" is, in fact, in compliance.
4. I do that by asking questions. That helps me determine if the jumpseater is,
  • coherent and able to understand my instructions, and instructions from other crewmembers.
  • impaired.
  • in his/her "happy place", meaning they will not bring a toxic personality or attitude onboard my aircraft.
If my spidey sense tells me they're having a bad day, or have a distracting "chip" on their shoulder....they don't go.

I think this pretty much sums it up. If you don't want unions, don't whine that union-attained benefits are not available to you.

Exactly. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to understand for some people.

Why am I not surprised you'd misinterpret my post?

I didn't misinterpret your meaning. You were making an ALPA card some kind of litmus test depending on "the way" they answer. The jumpseat is a professional courtesy according to ALPA. Whether or not your jumpseat candidate has an ALPA card or not is really none of your business. Extrapolating from the policy, you're out of line by even posing the question.

ALPA encourages all pilots to extend the use of their jumpseats to eligible cockpit crewmembers as a professional courtesy and as a resource to enhance the safety of flight. The Captain is, and shall always be, the final authority as to admission to the flight deck. Denial of jumpseat privileges as a means of punishing, coercing or retaliating against other pilot groups or individuals is not supported by ALPA.

ALPA is doomed to be a backwater organization as long as the elephants apply policy selectively just because they can. If it's policy, then it applies the same to everybody. That's what "policy" means.

Last edited:
The jumpseat is a professional courtesy according to ALPA. Whether or not your jumpseat candidate has an ALPA card or not is really none of your business. According to policy, you're out of line by even posing the question.

Within boarding priority, most airlines accomodate off-line jumpseat riders on a first-come, first-served basis. Due consideration should be given to union affiliation. Any problems that arise should be quickly referred to the Captain for resolution.

Within boarding priority, most airlines accomodate off-line jumpseat riders on a first-come, first-served basis. Due consideration should be given to union affiliation. Any problems that arise should be quickly referred to the Captain for resolution.

Multiple jumpseaters wasn't the issue. Here's what he said:

Occam's Razor said:
If you give the jumpseat to any carbon-based unit that clears CASS, I think you're doing profession a disservice.

You have an OBLIGATION (not my opinion, a fact) to ensure that anyone riding in the cockpit is not impaired, will follow the crew's instructions, and will not distract the crew.

Have you ever had a jumpseater that wasn't falling all over himself being polite and accomodating? They want to get to work. They want to get home. Really, who is this guy talking about?

Want my jumpseat? You'll answer my questions. I'm not gonna grill you on union, political, or religious issues...but I am gonna make sure your Cooperation switch is safety-wired ON. If you're a VirginAmerica, jetBlue, or AirTran guy...I might even ask if you have an ALPA card. The answer isn't really important. The way you answer is.

Don't like it?

Waaaaah!

Latest resources

Back