No flight instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Capt. JD said:
I am sorry but is flight instructing the only way to pay dues? Listening to most of you dumb fvcks it sounds like it is...

So I guess my...
PA-18 Banner Towing (June-Aug 2001)
C-172 Traffic Watch (July-Aug 2001)
C-172 / C-182 Aerial Mapping (Sept 2002 - June 2004)
C-210 FAR 135 IFR-PIC freight (Sept 2004 - Feb 2005)
C-310R FAR 135 IFR-PIC pax/freight (June 2005 - Present)

I guess I never paid any dues because I didn't want to get my CFI either. Instructing makes you book smart... Try Single Pilot Ops, will make you a better pilot, stick & rudder wise!

Nope, I ferry Airplanes!

NW_Pilot said:
Wow that's new to me Most all my time is in the Pacific NW Ie: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Western Montana

I'm willing to bet they were mostly interested in my BC coastal experience.

With an extra 32k, you sound like a perfect candidate for Gulfstream! Sunny FLA! 121 SIC Turbine!

(flamebait taken :)

Low time jobs..........

When I started flying, to get around the CFI thing not that it was a bad thing just not for me I looked up every operator I could and made phone calls. So these are the steps I would take if I had to do it again. Get a job at line service- rates should cheaper on the airplane that way at 500tt I would go on RAA.org and start calling Alaska operators like Haglund, Grant, LAB is really good- you most likely would start in a Cherokee 6, ACE and there are others but you get the point and then move on from there after you have gotten some valuable time. OR if you stay in the lower 48 do the line service thing and at 500tt try and find out who does traffic watch, banner tow or flying skydivers around. I just had a young man ask this very question last year I found him a job in NJ flying banners and he moved from Seattle out there, that's what I call paying your dues, you have to be willing to go where the job is, it's not always going to be good, you CFI's can attest to that but it's a job. Lastly you can go to PR, I went there with little time and flew the Tri Islander in the rightseat for NO PAY, then flew the Islander until I figured out they were trying to kill me, what an idiot I was but it was the time and experience that counted...........I think, anyway there are some good and bad outfits down there but you must be willing to go and grit your teeth and do it. I know I will get beat up for some of the things I said here but it's all in good fun. I wish everyone nothing but the best.

I flew sunup to sunset many many days flying jumpers. I 40 flight hours / week was the norm during the busy season and 50 was not unheard of. We had two C206s running back to back all day long.

Flying the twin otter, I dont get quite as much time, but during the summer I fly 8am- sunset every saturday and sunday and quite a bit during the week.

If you dont know what you talking about, dont talk.

Man, you coulda been risking that young mans life having him go to fly banners on the Jersey shore.

There are some scary fuckin operators down there. I know....

I'm sorry man, but that was the first company that called me and he was itching to leave, I hope he still can call me by my name instead of putting f@%*ing in front of it.

Who was it?
Randy Clark said:
I'm sorry man, but that was the first company that called me and he was itching to leave, I hope he still can call me by my name instead of putting f@%*ing in front of it.

Latest resources

Back