No flight instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boris_159 said:
I just can't see myself being a flight instructor. I may be going on to get a bachelor's degree, I'm not sure yet.

GOOD FOR YOU - if you don't want to instruct, don't! I did it for 2 1/2 years and really enjoyed it...got a lot out of it and hopefully helped some people get their start. BUT, forget the notion that you HAVE to do it or you've not "paid your dues". The reality is...if you wouldn't enjoy it, you probably wouldn't try very hard and therefore not do a very good job. The reality is that you're responsible for something MUCH greater than moving an airplane from point A to point B when you teach - and I applaud your steering clear of that avenue if you don't want to!

Best of luck to you in your endeavors!

pilotyip said:
Stealt21, being a little defensive are we? Of course there are many things that will make you a better pilot, CFIing is just one of them. I happen to think that CFIing will develop more skills than banner towing at MYR. I learned a lot at 125 hours TT by landing on an aircraft carrier by myself. I did not start CFIing until I had over 5000 hours; I learned a lot when I started instructing. We all develop skills from different jobs; each one brings a different skill.

Defensive? Yes I am. You are telling me that I am not a good pilot because I didn't flight instruct. So I guess you wern't a good pilot untill you had over 5000 hours? I doubt it. I am sure that you were a good pilot long before that. I guess you missed my point. For the record I never banner towed. If you want MY opinion, the best expirence you are going to get is in the right seat of a mutli crew aircraft. Thats where you are going to see all the good stuff, and learn the tricks of the trade. Flying everyday through the weather and the rain with people who are counting on you to get them to where they are going. That kind of pressure makes you a better pilot. Not in some little 3500 strip in the middle of Kansas. I believe there to be alot of good CFIs out there. I think some are just time builders just trying to get out as fast as they can. Again, I don't think its a bad ticket to have. Just don't think its a must. There are other ways to "pay your dues."

stealt21, couild not agree more, you and I are on the same page, there are many ways to pay your dues and increase skill. They all add something different.

pilotyip said:
stealt21, couild not agree more, you and I are on the same page, there are many ways to pay your dues and increase skill. They all add something different.

Yes I am with you here. I do agree that flight instruction will make you a better pilot.

Last edited:
Hadhafang said:
Does know of any good sources for finding Alaska operators? My goal is fly the bush there. I know that Alaska time (along with Pacific NW time) is important, so I am looking for some operators or flight schools. I have about 615TT and only 12 multi.

Also, responding to the original post: I don't think that flight instructing is for everyone. I am a CFII and have been instructing for over a year. It is a tremendously rewarding job in so many ways. The coolest thing is sending that student solo for his first time. (Sure, the first person you sign off is a little exciting for the instructor too.) However, CFI-ing requires that you be able to TEACH other people, not just TELL them what to do. This guy is being honest. He says that he doesn't want to instruct, and seriously, if he is not into it what kind of quality instruction would a student be receiving? You can build hours without becoming a CFI, it just might require a little more work and determination. Those aren't necessarily bad things.

http://www.flyalaska.com

pilotyip said:
Go to a big airport with long runways, make every landing a full stop taxi back, Hobbs meter is running it is legal time and in your C-150 your will burn about 2-3 gallons an hour. Block time is defined as movement of the airplane with intent of flight.

Now that is a good idea!

I went up to Alaska and got a job as an instructor. I was able to build my Alaska time in order to get my job flying 135. You can get a job without the Alaska time, but they are much more apt to return your call if you are in Alaska.

Stealthh21 said:
If you want MY opinion, the best expirence you are going to get is in the right seat of a mutli crew aircraft. Thats where you are going to see all the good stuff, and learn the tricks of the trade. Flying everyday through the weather and the rain with people who are counting on you to get them to where they are going. That kind of pressure makes you a better pilot. Not in some little 3500 strip in the middle of Kansas.

You are entitled to your opinion. Indeed, there are other ways to pay your dues and there are alternatives to flight instructing. However, since you have never done it, you are NOT qualified to belittle it.

I have done flight instruction (though not in Kansas) and I have done the flying everyday as part of a crew on a jet through the rain and weather with people counting on you thing. You would be surprised how little difference there really is. In my opinion, there is just as much good stuff in flight instruction. It can also involve flying everyday through rain and weather in twins with people counting on you.

In my opinion, I learned at least as much my first year of instructing than I did my first year in the right seat of a RJ. Yes, the crew 121 experience is valuable, however it is not the be-all end-all course to developing piloting skills.

I know that I still have a lot left to learn about flying. If you one day decide to become an instructor, you will see how much you have left to learn.

Boris,

The simple fact is that insurance requirements will prevent you from flying jobs that build quality bulk time. You won't build you time fast enough flying jumpers or ferrying aircraft for sales. Besides, most of the jumper planes I've seen have NAPA fuel lines and oil filters. As much as you will dislike instructing, it's really the only way that you can build quality time FAST. This is a race, and every day that you sit on the ground is another day you are behind those you are competing with. Bite the bullet and get your CFI.
On a side note, logging PIC as safety pilot will not fly during an airline interview. Neither will time you logged as PIC that you spent under the hood. If you didn't sign for the aircraft, you were not the PIC. Airlines are looking for solid PIC time. Time in which you were the sole pilot responsible for the aircraft/crew.
Good luck with your career. No matter what you choose, it's going to be a long road.

Latest resources

Back