• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

No flight instructing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is tough they have high mins to ferry but my employer sends so much business their way that they let them hire low time guys like me. Plus its a small company that moves lots of planes so it could be hard to constantly find pilots.

RichardRambone said:
It is tough they have high mins to ferry but my employer sends so much business their way that they let them hire low time guys like me. Plus its a small company that moves lots of planes so it could be hard to constantly find pilots.

Where do you work? Name and location if you don't mind. How exactly did you stumble upon this job?

SCT, where did you work? Location and luck seem to be a big thing these days.

onthebeach said:
>>
It appears to me that, as a society, we're pretty much doomed.

What kind of comment is that? I've noticed that there are a lot of jerks in these forums, what is everyone's problem. I asked a simple question, Is another way to build hours instead of flight instructing. Why would you make such a stupid comment that offers nothing except the opportunity to waste 4 seconds of mine and other people's lives? Grow up!

To everyone else, thank you for your input, I'm going to look into banner towing, skydiving, or A/C Brokers. Another question, does anyone know the kind of requirements that are necessary to become a bush pilot in either Alaska or Canada or possibly even Australia? Thanks in advance and please don't post anything stupid or insulting.

135 VFR mins are 500 total, 100 X-C of which 25 are at night. Those are the absolute minimum, and Alaska operators prefer some Alaska time as well.

taloft said:
In seven months you could be an airline pilot. They even help you with financing. :eek:
According to their website, its as easy as this:

Gulfstream Training Academy
Accelerated Admission: Complete and sign the Application for Admission, check the box indicating Accelerated Admission Process and submit it along with the deposit of $975 which is non refundable. :eek:

imacdog said:
135 VFR mins are 500 total, 100 X-C of which 25 are at night. Those are the absolute minimum, and Alaska operators prefer some Alaska time as well.

Ya I've noticed every single Alaskan job always says time in Alaska required with it. Do you just have to find somebody who will let you fly with them as a 2 pilot operation in order to get time in Alaska for starting out?

My advice to you is to get some thicker skin. You asked the same question that gets flamed at least once every two weeks. This is not the place to say you don't want to CFI when 95 percent of the people on this board have paid their dues by CFI'ing. Hagland and Grant will hire low time guys, but you have to know somebody on the inside. They like to see 1000. I'm getting ready to finish my CFI and pay my dues on a part time basis. I would stay in school, finish the Bachelor's and be a CFI on the side. Like everybody has said it will make you a better pilot. I have found out during my CFI training how much I did not know. Good luck with what you choose.

Big Toe

luvz2fli said:
Ya I've noticed every single Alaskan job always says time in Alaska required with it. Do you just have to find somebody who will let you fly with them as a 2 pilot operation in order to get time in Alaska for starting out?

I have not worked in Alaska but have talked with several employers up there. They considered my time in the Pacific NW and BC as valuable for insurance requirements. I also got the impression from them that many, if not most, flight schools in Alaska do not require Alaska flight time. There are also some 135 operators that do not require Alaska time, so I am sure someone who meets the 135 requirements could find work there with a little effort.

Boris 159,

I too was not terribly excited about teaching...to be honest I really didn't think I would be all that good at it. But I gave it a shot and spent 3 and a half years doing it. The pay sucks and the hours are terrible but I wouldn't trade my time there for anything. I learned more about flying having to teach it than I ever did in a classroom or an airplane. Learning to teach and work with people of all ages, backgrounds, and personality types is a valuable lesson to take away from being a CFI and will prove very useful throughout the rest of your career. I wouldn't rule out teaching quite yet it will make you a better pilot and provide you a wealth of experience and more than a few entertaining stories as well. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck to ya whatever you decide to do.

Latest resources

Back