• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJASAP President on FBN Today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder why the pilots don't just leave NJ if the situation over there is so bad?

Jordan is that you?T

hings got pretty rough at the majors recently, why don't you ask those guys? Did they quit or did they work hard to improve their lives?

I wonder why the pilots don't just leave NJ if the situation over there is so bad?

Seriously, I can't believe I even have to answer this. . .

If you are a pilot at an organization that has a defined pay scale, you know once you work for said organization for any period of time, you gain a certain level of pay.

In this case, a NetJets Captain makes $119,000 at 10 years (7on 7off), and and FO makes $81,000 (that is the cap for the SIC's BTW).

If I should choose to move to ANY other organization in aviation, I would be looking at a SIGNIFICANT loss in income - at least for a period of time. Most pilots, being good with numbers (generally) can calculate how long it would take to recoup these losses. The time frame is about 10 years generally when moving from NetJets to a Major Airline, longer (maybe never) it you go to a regional. Myself, a 15 year guy and quickly approaching 50, well - pay wise, It would take way too long to get to my break-even point.

This does not say we are "well compensated" for what we do - just we are at (by management design) a point where we are "financially hand cuffed".

At NetJets, the management (taking advantage of the 'financial hand cuffs') has suggested not only we should not get a pay increase over time, but a pay and benefits reduction for the next 5 years (and beyond). This is to lower the cost to the Millionaires and Billionaires that we provide our service to. You know, for the good of the company. In the meantime, after 2008, this company has paid down 700,000,000 in debt and posted a $200,000,000 profit as well as built new facilities in PBI, VNY and a Flight Safety training facility in CMH. NetJets is doing quite well.

So to answer the question, "If you don't like it there, then why don't you leave?"

Because:
1. NetJets is a good place to be.
2. They have the resources to make it better.
3. We can fix the issues with pilot leverages.
4. A new contract is very close.
5. The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

And we can't get hired the same day we leave

I transitioned cleanly. I didn't have one day without a paycheck. Just reached the twelve month point and second year pay at a major. It looks like $120,000 for second year and another twenty percent in retirement on top of that. TWELVE months ago I was making $76,000 at Netjets as an eight year First Officer. I say come on in boys, the water is fine.

I'm sorry dude. I hope the Netjet pilots get the contract they deserve. I have noticed the pilots at my airline are actively recruiting jumpseaters to consider applying. The majors are starting to see the writing on the wall for the coming shortage of qualified pilots. If Netjets doesn't compete with their contracts and thirty percent of Netjet pilots leave, Netjets will cease to exist in their current form.

I'm sorry dude. I hope the Netjet pilots get the contract they deserve. I have noticed the pilots at my airline are actively recruiting jumpseaters to consider applying. The majors are starting to see the writing on the wall for the coming shortage of qualified pilots. If Netjets doesn't compete with their contracts and thirty percent of Netjet pilots leave, Netjets will cease to exist in their current form.

Scary but true.

Indeed. If we don't get a smoking deal, 18 months from now the company will be short 250 pilots and the only resumes in the pile will be from Donnie Deeyoueye and some fossilized freight dogs with 3 ex wives to pay.

Indeed. If we don't get a smoking deal, 18 months from now the company will be short 250 pilots and the only resumes in the pile will be from Donnie Deeyoueye and some fossilized freight dogs with 3 ex wives to pay.

Bingo. If this company is to be a going concern we have to attract pilots and retain the ones we have. That's tough to do when I can make $40K more per year (second year) and work less to bring it in at a legacy. If the new contract isn't very sweet nearly every SIC on the property will have resumes out. Many will get a call. Current book just isn't worth this level of abuse on the road.

It still might be a tough sell.

Latest resources

Back