• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
***** THREAD HIJACK *****

Back to upgrade times...

What is the upgrade at NJA based on? Expansion or retirements or both?

Can someone post how many new planes are on order?

What's the latest at NJA?

Oh, and just to involve Flexjet guys... same questions for you as well..

***************** THREAD HIJACK *******************

It's based on seniority, but all depends upon where people place their standing bids. I'll bet most half way senior folks won't put the Ultra or 400 on their bid. We do have a number of retired airline guys well over 60, and I would bet most of the attrition comes from them. With lost pensions, that may be later than most planned. Once the final signing bonus is paid at the end of the year, I would bet a number will call it quits. In addition, regardless of the trend in the airline industry, when the legacy carriers start hiring again, we will no doubt lose some young folks who want to fly the big iron.

According to Aviation Week and Space technology in Sept 2003, Netjets had slightly over 1000 jets on order, to include firm orders and options. This was before the announcement of 200 additional orders. Keep in mind attrition will reduce overall totals, and some orders were adjusted, put on hold, or cancelled. RTS recently said in recurrent that he wants 1000 total jets and 5500 pilots. If he could get them today he would.

G150 is a big question mark, Hawker 4000 is if it gets certified and if it performs as advertised, and Falcon 2000EZ is on hold due to avionics and performance issues. Hawker 400 is a joke, but when RTS ends his feud with Cessna or something new comes along, I'll bet the CJ3 or equivalent will be added to the fleet. Only time will tell.

Hammer I will back that bet. Not really, but I agree. Why was I wrong about Direct to. Is she not smart enough to figure that out?

No, you weren't wrong. I think she is actually bright. She just has a little misplaced anger & lbs.

Upgrade times.

I have just over 1.5 years with the company and about 120 guys in front of me for a captain bid.

FYI.... The new seniority list came out this week. We offically made it over the 2500 pilot mark. I think the total number was 2524.

208starcheck said:
Upgrade times.

I have just over 1.5 years with the company and about 120 guys in front of me for a captain bid.
Four years. Sorry to say it. The problem is there are guys sitting in the U-boat that will move on. And that fleet is shrinking, and will shrink faster in the future (this is a guess, take note if you need a used and beat up Ultra).
Some will ride that fleet till the end, but my guess is half or more of the Captains will move on in the next 2 years. So as we take XL's many will head there preventing the 1800+ #'s from getting those spots. The variable is, will we need new U-boat Capt's or will they shrink fast enough not to need them. BUT just look at the VII fleet, way understaffed but they are not going to offer any capt spots.
Four years.

BTW if this helps. I can hold, by about 100, the XL, Soverign (sp) and X. I plan on taking the XL after I get X-mas off.
Hope my .02 helps.

Last edited:
From what I understand there are over SIX HUNDRED pilots that are over age 60 that may retire after getting the other half of their contract settlement back pay this November. Don't know if that six hundred figure is correct, but even if only two hundred decide to retire than there's going to be some nice christmas bonuses this year for those pilots currently in the 1800-2000 seniority numbers.

If all 6 hundred retire than that means the pilots hired this month will get the christmas Captain upgrade bonus also, wait, than what are we going to do about First Officers? Guess there may be some massive hiring at NJA.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance here, but what if you were grandfathered in with HBA as an FO in regards to upgrade? Do you get to upgrade at "home" or do you need to upgrade to one of the domiciles? I guess that question would also apply to CA's transitioning to other aircraft.

Who says that all those 60+ers are already Capt's? There a A LOT of senior FO's at NJA.

Count on four years. If it is less, you make out.

jaybird said:
Forgive my ignorance here, but what if you were grandfathered in with HBA as an FO in regards to upgrade? Do you get to upgrade at "home" or do you need to upgrade to one of the domiciles? I guess that question would also apply to CA's transitioning to other aircraft.
The upgrade and the domicile on the PIC bids are separate issues. You can't be forced to change HBA/Domicile just to upgrade.

Fozzy said:
Four years. Sorry to say it. The problem is there are guys sitting in the U-boat that will move on. And that fleet is shrinking, and will shrink faster in the future (this is a guess, take note if you need a used and beat up Ultra).
Some will ride that fleet till the end, but my guess is half or more of the Captains will move on in the next 2 years. So as we take XL's many will head there preventing the 1800+ #'s from getting those spots. The variable is, will we need new U-boat Capt's or will they shrink fast enough not to need them. BUT just look at the VII fleet, way understaffed but they are not going to offer any capt spots.
Four years.

BTW if this helps. I can hold, by about 100, the XL, Soverign (sp) and X. I plan on taking the XL after I get X-mas off.
Hope my .02 helps.

Damn Fozzy that was a nice response. I'll translate for you. After I throw out a couple facts, you kick me in the nuts and then say "look how big my dick is". I hope your excuse is you were drinking.

Latest resources

Back