• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA Upgrade time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Right, but I'd be interested to know how many FOs upgraded this year and how many FOs were hired. 300 seems to be a realistic number for new hires and I don't think that 300 FOs upgraded this year, but I could be wrong.

By my count, there were 322 PIC slots awarded this year so far, with 181 upgrades. The biggest mover was the XL, with 112 PIC slots awarded and 94 upgrades. FWIW.

There are so many factors relating to upgrades at NJ. Anyone that can tell you what will happen is guessing or is a psychic! I have a hard time believing that age 60+ pilots are waiting for $16K(13K after taxes) before calling it quits. The ratio of pic to sic has been close to 60/40 give or take a few %. If you add 400 pilots per year then you would see ~ 240 Pic bids minus the aircraft attrition plus pilot attrition. The last upgrades were in the 1600 range recently and would put a new hire with 2500 number upgrading in 3 1/2 years no matter what aircraft. Most if not all of the movement in the larger aircraft(with apu) will be PIC to PIC. It will also take another year or so for the post contract movement to settle down due to bypass FO's upgrading or going back to FO pay. It's good to be optimistic, but don't spend that paycheck before it's in the bank!

Latest awards: XL upgrades went down to #1704 (7/06 hire). Encore went to #1800 (10/04 hire). Sovereign to #1712 (7/06 hire) - that's a shocker!

Last edited:
Ultra Grump said:
Latest awards: XL upgrades went down to #1704 (7/06 hire). Encore went to #1800 (10/04 hire). Sovereign to #1712 (7/06 hire) - that's a shocker!

Don't you mean 7/04 hire dates for the junior XL and 680 awards? If not, then I want to know how someone hired last month got ahead of me on the seniority list...:erm:

NJA bound said:
So it looks like upgrades are at 1 year and 10 months here currently.

I'd caution against a potential new-hire thinking that he or she could get hired next month and be a captain before the end of 2008. I had a friend just get on here and I told him before he accepted the job that he'd likely be around 4 years of seniority before upgrading.

Of course, it's all a SWAG but I don't think 22 months to upgrade is good estimate for a new-hire today.

Guitar Guy said:
Don't you mean 7/04 hire dates for the junior XL and 680 awards? If not, then I want to know how someone hired last month got ahead of me on the seniority list...:erm:
Yep, I've got '06 on the brain. 2004 is correct. Tried to edit, won't let me.

Actually the revised award shows the Encore going to #1813 (10/04 hire). Amazing how they can never go a month without revising at least one award. Just looked at the delivery schedule (albeit a dated one) and the upgrades should continue for the near future baring any significant changes in our operation.

Edited cuz I cant speel

Latest resources

Back