NJA Furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What does that mean?

From the outside looking in, it appears as though RTS fell on his sword to protect you guys as long as he possibly could...

Perhaps, but it looks like we should have never been in this position. Ignored budget, hiring for no reason, ordering planes that they didn't have owners for, or even prospective owners for. There were so many financial mistakes it was dizzying when it was unearthed.

Perhaps, but it looks like we should have never been in this position. Ignored budget, hiring for no reason, ordering planes that they didn't have owners for, or even prospective owners for. There were so many financial mistakes it was dizzying when it was unearthed.

I can see what you're saying...

...but its obvious Santulli (and thousands of other "smart people" in business) didn't foresee the events of 2008-2009 that led to a deep recession wiping away trillions in stockholder net worth in addition to cratering the used aircraft market.

Also, manufacturers were running 18+ month lead times on most airframes right up until everything fell apart...so I really can't "blame" somebody for "ordering planes they didn't have owners for" because they probably had to.

Either way, the situation definitely sucks...

Yeah, this definitely sucks. I missed the cutoff by 50 numbers and don't expect to return to work for 2-2.5 years. By that time, I think the airlines will be starting steady hiring activities...so what to do?

Try to go to anywhere that I can get some turbine PIC to better my chances of getting in on the airline hiring boom in a few years? (I left the regional to go to NJ before upgrading.)

Waiting around to get recalled in a couple years then be an FO at NJ forever?

If only I had a crystal ball...

I hear ya. A bit short of four years for me on the projected recall date for God knows how long stuck in the right seat...

Hope when that recall comes I'm doing something better and don't have to take it. Looks like NJA suddenly became a dead end job.

I gotta' hand it to you Sky -- In one sentence, you summarized exactly what it means to be a professional pilot in this day and age much better than anyone else I have ever listened to.

I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" that quote from time to time... ;)

Spot on, well done. When I read this I couldn't help but think of a Woody Allen movie where Woody is playing Cello in a marching band!

Cheers- Rum

Ah yes, safe and secure at your regional. Best of luck to you.

Depends on the regional. None are 100% safe, but some are in better long term positions that others. As much as I hate to admit it, Skywest seems a fairly safe bet. Not sure about the others.

Speaking of dead ends, not having a mandatory retirement age at the fractionals is another road block that I think needs to be addressed.

Post of the day !!! When all of the geriatrics start retiring in a few years, I'm sure the ones that can still pass a medical will still be flocking to the Fracs, unless they get the 121 retirement age changed to 70!

:cool:

Latest resources

Back