• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NJA announces 1000 applications for pilot positions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Buddy of mine has a screen call this week. Corporate background. If he moves forward in the process and gets hired, what are the likely aircraft types he will be offered? Are there fleets over the next few months that are more likely? How are fleet selections decided in a given class if multiple types are available?

Last edited:
Buddy of mine has a screen call this week. Corporate background. If he moves forward in the process and gets hired, what are the likely aircraft types he will be offered? Are there fleets over the next few months that are more likely? How are fleet selections decided in a given class if multiple types are available?

No idea what they will offer him and they probably don't know until they offer him the job. He could go into any plane other than the large cabin.

They seem to be back filling some of the older hard working fleets with the recalls. Don't know if that is true of the new hires.

Disclaimer: This is my own observation and I have zero numbers to back that up!

They seem to be back filling some of the older hard working fleets with the recalls. Don't know if that is true of the new hires.

Disclaimer: This is my own observation and I have zero numbers to back that up!

Probably been discussed many times before, but how would you define "harder working fleets"? Are we talking XLS and Phenom? Which fleets are less busy these days? How does "busy" typically translate in terms of sectors per day?

They're all pretty busy now with the Excel getting beat up the worst.

Don't know how many new hires are on the property yet, but know that the first class had six and they are in sim training. It's sad, NJ needs so many pilots and all they can come up with is 6 in the first 3 months, but boast how many resumes they have.

I might of heard through 3rd handed information that 2 went to the X and 2 to the Sovereign.

And it appears it's still a good-old-boys way of hiring with a couple coming from heavy handed recommendations. So, even though the company says they will refuse phone calls and straight letters of recommendations from crews, they seem to be doing it anyways. So good luck if you don't have a buddy at NJ.

Warning: Before you apply or accept a job, remember that may departments (pilots, flight attendants, dispatch) are in contentious negotiations. If any strike, the pilots strike, which affects a probationary pilot. And upgrade is going to be 15 years or so for a new hire and NJ wants to cut pilot salaries and benefits even during a time of record profit. Good luck. You might get a call, upgrade might be faster; NJ has over 800 airline job inquires request right now representing 30% of the pilot work force. It should tell you something when 1/3 of the pilots, most with 10+ years of service are trying to leave.

When you've got 50 year olds leaving for major airlines who are captains, the place is sinking fast. If we don't get this contract done soon, we could lose it.

When you've got 50 year olds leaving for major airlines who are captains, the place is sinking fast. If we don't get this contract done soon, we could lose it.

While I agree with your statement that 50 year old captains leaving NJ for the airlines is a very bad development for the company, you also know that this is part of their plan.

You've posted very thoughtful and cogent responses in the past, so think this through.

NJ EMT wants the older pilots to leave so that they can replace them with lower paid new hires.

New hires who don't know what NJ used to be like and are very happy with the current pay and benefit structures.

Never mind that the new hires don't have the same level of commitment to the company or owners, nor will they deliver the same level of service as the long term employees who built the company.

The EMT doesn't care about the lower service levels. Its another step in their plans to commoditize the brand and try to compete on price alone.

An ancillary benefit is that it weakens the union and members resolve.

The EMT wants you to panic at the high levels of attrition and the lower service levels so that you will readily agree to a contract when they make their first slight concessions from their 'Four Pillars'.

Recognize the game they are playing and don't fall for it.

Panicking and worrying about the future just plays into their hands.

I don't think WB is going to let this company fail, regardless of how much latitude he gives Jordan to try and secure concessions.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back