Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Duke of Ale said:
Lawfly:

I don't think we suffer the indignity of airline travel when we start or end a tour by airlining. For instance, today I am airlining on day one. I have my reservation and a seat and I upgraded to business class on a 777. I also go thru the employee line at security. It sure is a lot better than flying standby or on the jump seat! I really do not consider that commuting although you do. The commuting part was my drive to the airport of my HBA all of 14 minutes away from my house. Airlining is part of the job and I am on duty, not commuting.

Not too familiar with how NJ pilot get to and from work but was wondering if you get to commute in on the day of your duty time or do you have to get in the night before for the next day show? Really my question is do you truly get 7 days off or are you commuting in on one of those 7 days.

You'll only be commuting on a day off if you don't live in your domicile, or if the company fails to get you home in time on your last day. In that case, CHA-CHING!! :D

RideandDrive said:
Does Netjets pick up hotel bills in CMH for ground school/sim if you are domicled in CMH as a new hire?
From the 2005 CBA
20.1(a) Hotel Accommodations
A Crewmember whose residence is fifty (50) or more miles away from his assigned HBA/Domicile/Satellite airport who has been assigned any duty at a location other than the Crewmember’s residence, including but not limited to duty at the Crewmember’s HBA/Domicile/Satellite airport, shall be provided hotel accommodations as set forth elsewhere in this Agreement. The Director of Operations or his designee may consider exceptions to the fifty (50) mile provision on a case-by-case basis. The Company is not required to provide
normal travel expenses when a Crewmember requests and is released to his residence during a tour. The Company retains sole discretion regarding the release of a Crewmember to his residence during a tour.

http://www.ibt1108.org/01%20PILOTCBA%20November%2021,%202005.pdf

I believe that as long as your actual home is more than 50 miles away, then the company will pay for the hotel. Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Yup you got it correct - I am CMH based but I live more than 50 miles away so whenever I have spend the night in CMH they are required to book me a hotel room even though I am based there. I have yet to have a problem with it as they have some kind of notation next to my name in IJet and just book it without even asking if I want to go home (I dont).

I just got the Encore in Dallas starting Aug 21st. I was told this was the last opening for DAL this year. Maybe if you can accept another domicile and a last minute slot like this might open up for you.

When I went to interview (in May) I thought I was going to have to pick between CMH and LAX, but several slots opened up that were not "domicile specific." They had been reserved for people who were supposed to return from leaves of absence, but had to extend for various reasons. I lucked out because I was able to pick any of the domiciles. No guarantees, but something like that could happen at any time.

Also, there is now an LOA that allows pilots to change domiciles either by swapping with someone who is in the same seat and equipment or by bidding as slots become available. Maybe not a great arrangement, but at least you're not locked into your original domicile forever.

Latest resources

Back