• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Nj Dal Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The truely sad part about this whole Domicile "experiment" is that it occured back in the late 90's, before the Compnay opened up 26 or so Gateways.

Why did they expand the Gateway program????? The pool of qualified pilots dried up and we couldn't crew our planes. As soon as they expanded the gateways....people flooded into the system.

So fast forward to November 2005....

What does the Company do????

Back themselves into the same corner they were in prior to expanding the Gateway program in 2000. Well, they're not corner yet because people are still trying to come here.

Can you just imagine the highly qualified pilots out there who would apply here if it weren't for this stupid Domicile thing. The Company is lucky the airlines aren't hiring and the other fractionals don't have as much to offer.....other than closer Domiciles.

The only way they are going to change this is if we run out of qualified people who are willing to come here. That may or may not happen prior to the next round of negotiations.

RTS was 100% correct when he said in Company Recurrent a few weeks ago....."We had the wrong people negotiating this contract"

Even sadder is the fact that pilots and their families pay the price until NJA admits they're repeating history--a failed experiment of the past. Few would know if they're getting less experienced applicants these days. I doubt that information would be shared. :rolleyes: We do know that candidates have posted here that they're not applying because of the Domicile Debacle. How many more out there made the same decision?

Thanks for the informative post DO-82. Management doesn't have a good track record when it comes to forward thinking. Which explains that sense of deja vu some of the NJ pilots have. Not to mention their frustration...

I hear an 1108 leader is briefing a new hire group tonight. I wonder if he would care to relay his impressions? ;) I think I'll ask....:) NJW

NJW...I'm sure the briefing for the Nebbies will be a real eye-opener.

During my Company Recurrent I had the chance to "host" an inpromptu new hire meeting at the Embasy Suites. About 12-14 new hires.

I introduced myself and gave a little background and then said....."Fire Away!!!" First question out of their mouths was about the Company dropping the 5 domicile rula and allowing HBA's for all. Many agreed that they came here expecting the Company to drop the Domicile system and they had nothing to lose to try commuting for a while since there was no training contract.

If something better comes along...many would not hesitate to leave in a few years feeling that its worth a shot to stick it out here at NJA. There really isn't anything better right now.

Come time of the new contract however, the HBA for ALL will be a major deal breaker.

I asked if any of them felt as if the Pre-contract guys sold the new hires out by not insisting on HBA's for all. This group did not feel that at all and they believed that the Domicile thing will eventually blow up in the Company's face. At the very least it will be used in future negotiations as a bargaining chip by the Company especially when it comes to pay.

DO-82, I can see you serving as a host...:) I'm sure you did fine. I'm glad to hear the new hires aren't resentful. Considering that the NJ pilots had to fight for better pay and home basing, I think they did well all things considered.

When we talk about the Domicile Debacle I think I've been forgetting the 2 yr training contract was dropped. Bet they had to do that to keep the pool of applicants big enough. It's going to be interesting to see how many (if any) take the rating and run after they get tired of the commute and/or living in an expensive city on low wages.

My family has always felt strongly about FO issues. They have our support for improving their situation.

Doesn't everyone commute at NJ? In the sense that most tours begin and end with an airline flight to a distant location? The aircraft are physically located all over the U.S. To some extent, "domicile" is a misnomer. I understand the domicile vs. HBA contentions, but even someone living a short distance from his/her domicile airport "commutes", i.e., gets to experience the indignity of airline travel at the beginning and end of each (or certainly most) tour(s), HBA arguments aside. If a way could be devised to cut down on massive airlining, period, that would be nice. Oh well.

Lawfly:

I don't think we suffer the indignity of airline travel when we start or end a tour by airlining. For instance, today I am airlining on day one. I have my reservation and a seat and I upgraded to business class on a 777. I also go thru the employee line at security. It sure is a lot better than flying standby or on the jump seat! I really do not consider that commuting although you do. The commuting part was my drive to the airport of my HBA all of 14 minutes away from my house. Airlining is part of the job and I am on duty, not commuting.

When your tour starts with an airline flight do the airports let you park in employee parking or do you have to pay for a week in long term?

Lawfly, I mentally separate the two as Duke did. Being paid to travel to pickup a plane is very different from spending your own time and money to get to the appointed place at the appointed hour. The former goes with the turf; the latter has the potential of getting old fast. My sympathies to all commuting pilots out there.

I think the company believes that basing pilots in domicile cities will save airlining costs, but those pilots don't start and end all of their tours there. I think looking at the stats would be very interesting. Are the domicile pilots actually airlining less than home-based pilots? Are there not other cities that NJ pilots fly in and out of just as often as the chosen 5?

My husband came home today--minus his bags--again. Another bag is back at the factory being repaired. "indignity" is a description my husband would agree with it. I'm sure he's not the only pilot to complain about the condition he finds his clothing in after his bag has been searched. There are many aspects of being a frac pilot that are inherent to the job that should be counted when compensation is considered. Airlining is certainly one of those.

Philerup:

Depends on the city. Where I am I can park at the FBO with their blessing too.
All for free. Other crews in other cities are not so lucky.

I live in the DFW area and have the NJ package. I'm currently Captain at a regional. With everything going on in the major airline industry I'm ready to come to NJ. I think the Fracs are the furture, worst case, you still have and work for a stabe company with great bennys and good pay. The DFW base is all thats holding me back. I'm going to turn the packet in and state that I want DFW base. If I get an interview I get an interview. If not I'll hold out and try for SW or FedEx

Latest resources

Back