NJ Citation X vs. Excel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the quick responses!!!

Congrats on getting on with Netjets. You'll find more stability at Netjets than at Champ. Again, here's your office for the next few years:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6177618&nseq=0

A little more automated than the 727... ;) If you want to track airborne Netjets flights to see where the separate fleets fly and layover, check out this link:

http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/EJA

Obviously the XL/XLS flights are C56X flight numbers (500s and 600s) - click on a specific flight to see where it has flown and laid over during the last few days. I've counted something like 30 Netjets XLs flying at one time. Check it out and have fun in training! My buddies at Netjets love the place!

thanks amigo !

Due to the size of these fleets I would imagine they both work very hard. Can somebody compare quality of life on the X vs. the Excel at NetJets? What is an average day like on each? Thanks!
Come on u old sailor..I gave you all the info you were gonna need. I hope you made your list this afternoon for when linda calls:beer:

I have flown both the X and the XL/S at NJA (and U boat). I actually left the X for the XL and have no regrets. Two of my friends here did the exact same thing and both are happy that they left the X and are now in the XL.

The Soveriegn is absolutely the most busy fleet here. Stay away from that. The X is second and XL 3rd.

The problem I had with the X was the number of long trips. Most of your trips are over 3 hours with many coast to coast. I did a 6+ hour flight at long range cruise from Miami to Vancouver once. That's a loooooong time in that cockpit.

I feel much better physically and mentally at the end of the day and the end of the week in the XL than I did in the X.

Also, the opportunity to get out, walk around and stretch your legs more often is better for you :)

To me it's a no brainer... the XL wins hand down. And if you come to the XL, you might get me for IOE

I have flown both the X and the XL/S at NJA (and U boat). I actually left the X for the XL and have no regrets. Two of my friends here did the exact same thing and both are happy that they left the X and are now in the XL.

The Soveriegn is absolutely the most busy fleet here. Stay away from that. The X is second and XL 3rd.

The problem I had with the X was the number of long trips. Most of your trips are over 3 hours with many coast to coast. I did a 6+ hour flight at long range cruise from Miami to Vancouver once. That's a loooooong time in that cockpit.

I feel much better physically and mentally at the end of the day and the end of the week in the XL than I did in the X.

Also, the opportunity to get out, walk around and stretch your legs more often is better for you :)

To me it's a no brainer... the XL wins hand down. And if you come to the XL, you might get me for IOE
I just finished my first week of ioe on the XL and had a blast. I flew the XLS all week and went coast to coast with a bunch in between. Nothing longer than a 3.5 hr flight and a good mixture of 1-2 hr range. I have 6 days off and i look forward to going back out on the next tour. You wont find many gigs out there where you actually look forward to going to work.

Waiting for Linda's call next week. Don't know what will be available, but I think H800/900 is first choice. After that, don't know. Friends have suggested G200, then Sov, XL/S and X in that order. Of course the Falcon but not likely for new hires. They advised avoiding the non-APU birds if possible. Anyone have any further thoughts beyond the above. Thanks in advance. BTW, I'm 60 years young.

Waiting for Linda's call next week. Don't know what will be available, but I think H800/900 is first choice. After that, don't know. Friends have suggested G200, then Sov, XL/S and X in that order. Of course the Falcon but not likely for new hires. They advised avoiding the non-APU birds if possible. Anyone have any further thoughts beyond the above. Thanks in advance. BTW, I'm 60 years young.

It all depends on what you like. Most people talk highly of the plane that they fly, and I am no different. The X does a pretty good mix of everything. I like the variety, but last weeks captain is going to bid out of the X and into the new small bird (Encore Plus?). He doesnt like the long legs of the X.

But I would encourage a plane with an APU. With your background, I think youll be lost without it.

Evertything at NJA goes in cycles, I happen to be in a cycle of real late shows and then 1 or 2 legs. I am on day 5 right now and I have done 2 pax legs in the XL and it has been like this for a few tours. I will tell you with the xl being a shorter leg airplane, if you are West Coast, take the xl. What I mean is that you will usually have the first 3 or 4 days on the West Coast and then start working your way East. By the time you make it out East you have one or two days before all you do is airline home on your last day. I haven't seen TEB for months (only seen the new first once, and it wasn't done). If you fly the X, it doesn't matter what coast you live on, you will see both several times per tour. I love the APU, almost everyone has been fun to fly with, and the mission is great(especially for West Coast guys).

To clarify, I live just south of Atlanta and, with one in college and one in high school, not likely to move. I've done lots of different types of flying over the years, but never in bizjets. Talking to friends, I think it will be an interesting way to finish my career. Looking forward to it.

The frax style of flying isn't for everyone. I came to NJA from a regional and much prefer this type of flying to regimented A-to-B-to-A flying that I did in the 121 realm. Some people, though, crave the set schedules and the limited number of airports they'll see in the 121 world.

The good news is that if you get to NJA and fractional isn't for you, there is no training contract. But that said, I do hope you get to NetJets and really enjoy it.

Best of luck to you.

Latest resources

Back