NJ Citation X vs. Excel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

larrivee

Due to the size of these fleets I would imagine they both work very hard. Can somebody compare quality of life on the X vs. the Excel at NetJets? What is an average day like on each? Thanks!

Due to the size of these fleets I would imagine they both work very hard. Can somebody compare quality of life on the X vs. the Excel at NetJets? What is an average day like on each? Thanks!

There is no average day at Netjets.

Example...today on the X. Day 1 brief was a 6am checkin at FBO. Then nothing else. I got up early, checked the updated brief. Check in from home at 6am. 2 hrs overtime (before 8am), for 11 hr duty day from home (over 9 hrs overtime ...2 hrs this morning+2 hrs this afternoon=4 hrs overtime). And today is holiday pay as well (Good Friday).

So here I am fixing my sprinklers and getting paid nicely to do so.

Again, this is not normal...but there is no average day.

They are going to work you hard on either, come to the Hawker 800 bro....

On the XL, and I am on day 1. Went on duty at home at 1230L. Came to the FBO around 1530. I'll be here till around 2100 tonight babysitting my plane. Back home to sleep with a proposed 0900 show tomorrow for 2 legs and back to here. Plan on being in my bed tomorrow night too.

That being said, I'm sure before the week is out they will get their money out of me.

From what I hear from my Netjets buddies, the X and XL/XLS are indeed the busiest fleets with the Sovereign fleet coming in a close third. As you would expect given its range and versatility, the X flies a lot of transcon flights. You will do a lot of TEB/HPN/IAD to VNY/SJC/Napa/Scottsdale/Jackson Hole/LAS. The X is obviously a fast bird and a lot of the celebrities in LA like to be seen on it - some people think it's a sexy airplane... You might even be able to do some Hawaii or European trips on the X as well. I know a guy who has hit Maui from the West Coast three times in the last year or so on the X.

The XL/XLS fleet is very busy but it flies mainly short to medium hops. You may do more flights during the day because the XL/XLS is not capable of transcon flights. You will see a lot of the country in the XL/XLS because the fleet is massive and you can fly pretty much anywhere in it - it is very capable in terms of performance.

So, the X does a lot of longer trips while the XL/XLS flies a lot of shorter trips per day - although both aircraft can do a mix of short and longer trips per tour. You will most likely be eligible for over time on both fleets (you can make extra cash). Some of the other fleets like the Encore/Ultra and Beechjet offer very little over time in comparison.

The flight decks are about the same size - so, if you don't like to sit for 5+ hours at a time in a tight cockpit (in the X) - you should hope for the XL/XLS. You will do a lot of long transcons in the X - probably a few every tour. Compare this (the X cockpit):

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1333305&size=L&width=1600&height=1079&sok=&photo_nr=

to this (XLS):

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6177618&nseq=0

Last edited:
start sim on the xl/s fleet next week, i'm a newbie, whats the longest trip,and the most exotic (caribbean?)flown by the fleet? just curious. thanks brothers and sisters !

start sim on the xl/s fleet next week, i'm a newbie, whats the longest trip,and the most exotic (caribbean?)flown by the fleet? just curious. thanks brothers and sisters !

Congrats on getting on with Netjets. You'll find more stability at Netjets than at Champ. Again, here's your office for the next few years:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6177618&nseq=0

A little more automated than the 727... ;) If you want to track airborne Netjets flights to see where the separate fleets fly and layover, check out this link:

http://flightaware.com/live/fleet/EJA

Obviously the XL/XLS flights are C56X flight numbers (500s and 600s) - click on a specific flight to see where it has flown and laid over during the last few days. I've counted something like 30 Netjets XLs flying at one time. Check it out and have fun in training! My buddies at Netjets love the place!

on the XL I have flown a total of 80 hours since January 2008 .. a guy in my indoc class that went to the soverign has already accumulated 175 hour flight time since jan 2008.. you do the math.. as far as the 10.. you can have it and the legs over 4 hours.. you will very very rarely do anything over 4 hours in the xl... YOU WILL OWN THE HEBREW HIGHWAY ON THE XL

on the XL I have flown a total of 80 hours since January 2008 .. a guy in my indoc class that went to the soverign has already accumulated 175 hour flight time since jan 2008.. you do the math.. as far as the 10.. you can have it and the legs over 4 hours.. you will very very rarely do anything over 4 hours in the xl... YOU WILL OWN THE HEBREW HIGHWAY ON THE XL

LOL!!!!!:laugh:

I have a friend on the G200 who formerly flew the XL for years and years. He loved it. You will hit all four corners of the US and a lot of the Caribbean. It has great performance for getting into short airfields (for example, my buddy flew the XL into a short strip near the Grand Canyon) and your a$$ won't deflate because the flights will generally be shorter than longer. Like OYS said, if your a$$ can't stand 5+ hours in a tight cockpit a few times per tour, perhaps the XL is a better match.

Latest resources

Back