• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NICE Job Continental Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know it's hard for you to grasp but there are policies, proceedures, and rules that have to be followed.

So you think the policies, proceedures, and rules worked well this time?

I flew 121 post 9/11. Don't lecture me about your holy rules. If 47 paying pax have to sit on an RJ overnight on some dark ramp then they are indeed holey rules and need to be fixed. Common sense has to come in somewhere and it didn't in this case.

I can't believe anyone would even try to defend this incident. Amazing. Oh, and yet one more reason in the endless parade of reasons why those two snobby lawyers are in the back of my plane and not yours.

Oh, and yet one more reason in the endless parade of reasons why those two snobby lawyers are in the back of my plane and not yours.

All this just so you can make this point again. Saying it over and over, exaggerating the airlines' fault (in this case no fault), isn't going to keep those two lawyers in the back of your plane. Your owners are sqwaking 1200 at an alarming rate. I sincerely hope you guys don't furlough, but going after the airlines on here all the time isn't going to get the owners back.

This was the airport's fault.

Maybe I shouldn't have responded to his "two laywers" comment. It's not the point of this thread. But I was responding...not trying to tie it in somehow.

That said, there is no way this is the airports fault. Airports are not entrusted with passenger safety and comfort. Airlines are. Captains are.

Somebody should have figured out a way to get the people off. It's not that hard a puzzle to work out.

Airlines once had a very large margin for error with regard to customer service. But living under the 30 year forced mandate of granting the average US airline customer access to safe air travel for less than it costs them to stay at home has put a little dent in it. K? I think we agree. If these customers wanted to go to the FBO they could have coughed up the 40K a piece it would have cost them to ride on your airplane. In fact, they could have chartered the same type airplane from the exact company they were riding on picked the FBO and airport they wanted to use. They didn't do that. They bought the cheapest ticket on the internet they could possibly find and they STILL got more than they paid for.

So you're saying the flight wasn't ALLOWED to go to the FBO?

30 year forced mandate?

Flop, I've read your posts before and they usually make sense, but common. A 121 plane can certainly go to any FBO and dump the willing pax off. Bags and all. That isn't a violation of anything and they don't have to pay 40K to do it. The airline would have maybe had a ramp fee of a couple hundred dollars. Big deal.

What "forced mandate" are you referring? The deregulation of the airlines? Wow, there's a can of worms. You blame competition for an RJ RON with pax? That's what it comes to? Really? I agree the airlines are in a race to the bottom and refuse to charge what the product costs, but that is a separate issue. No human should have to sit on an RJ overnight. Ever. EVER! EVER! If that becomes acceptable then all is lost. Not just as air travel goes, but as humanity goes as well.

Glasspilot: I stand by my comments on de-reg, and that I don't believe an airliner can just show up at an FBO. You and I know your asking for an injury and compromising safety and as uncomfortable as those customers were, they weren't in harms way. More importantly, I'm not too sure humanity isn't already lost, especially in air transportation, when the US Transportation Sec speaks to an issue and lays the blame on some party other than the airline, but guys like you STILL WANT TO BLAME THE AIRLINE!! What's the deal man?! I'm pretty sure they ran this to a ground wire with every intention of making airline employees heads roll, and guess what? They're laying the blame elsewhere! It went to basically the highest transportation authourity we have(quite quickly I might ad), and he's not blaming the airline. Why does that not sit well with you? Why does the airline automatically have to be blamed for everything? Look at the article again, would you? Did I miss something?

Why is there even a discussion over this. IT WAS THE CAPTAIN"S FAULT the passengers spent the night on the aircraft.

Regardless of why they landed where they landed...regardless of the filed alternate. What kind of panzy Captain wouldn't take care of his passengers? GMAFB

After it became obvious common sense wasn't going to prevail there, the Captain should have deplaned the airplane.

As we all know we work in a crazy industry. Many temp workers...folks who do not know what the hell they are doing. We deal with many fiefdoms. Some ridiculous regulations, many good ones too... The flight crew has to utilize some common sense in order to operate in this environment. This Captain made airline pilots look like idiots. Don't be like him, use your heads out there!

Astroglider

Without support from dispatch, operations, and the airport, the Captain is only left with unsafe and/or illegal options to deplane the aircraft. Some are looking at this like "how hard can it be to deplane an rj," but the operational limitations apply across the entire 121 fleet. Imagine if this were a 757 with one lave mel'd, which would be normal for domestic operations. This is another example of how the Captain's authority has been eroded by the airlines to control the decision making to serve whatever goal they are trying to meet at that moment (on time pushback, save money on apu at expense of comfort, shorting the galley of water, limiting divert related expenses). The Captain should not have to plead with anyone to move the aircraft and deplane. Once a decision is made, operations should do whatever is required to make it happen.

Without a legitimate emergency to declare, the Captain is forced to deal with whatever decisions are being made by people outside the airplane. Since there were no health casualties or injuries, it can be argued that the passengers were only "uncomfortable and inconvenienced" and hence, not an emergency. For those Super Captains on this board who would have incurred additional and unnecessary risk to get passengers off the plane, enjoy the comfort of your arm chair and hope you never have to make that call.

As far as where do we go from here, I have already forwarded to my union reps that this is a Captain's Authority issue and we need to keep working to an environment where we do indeed train and entrust Captain's to make hard decisions, and support them and give them the resources to make the plan come together safely. Holding the Captain responsible for someone else's decision is ridiculous.

Latest resources

Back