Newest Boyd prediction

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JetFumes said:
All the current legacy carriers will probably survive, after some consolidation. We will all still have jobs, right? What will you guys bicker about then?

Easy, seniority integration methodology.

Mike Boyd AKA Lowecur

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Been saying this for years, Mike!!!! Let me know when you're checks in the mail for consulting work.

Look for this to be part of the TA discussions in Sept.;)

:pimp:

Last edited:
GuppyWN said:
As far as selling the 5 jets, I don't know what the motive was but have you ever heard the phrase "shrinking to profitability"?

Except we aren't shrinking. We are growing the 320 fleet by 7 airframes instead of the 12 that was originally planned.

Truckdriver said:
I say SWA is going to hire a regional carrier to fly 70-100 seaters for them and the future jobs of mainline SWA will go to SKYW or CHQ. It will be lots cheaper to hire a regional carrier to do the work than to do it in-house. I also predict pay-cuts for SWA pilots when the fuel hedges run out. Because once the fuel hedges run out at SWA it's all downhill from there. They'll go out of business once they have to start paying for fuel. :)

Mr. Airline Pilot SWA hater JetBlue wannabe airline business expert flame baiter.....Budweiser salutes you!!!

J32driver said:
Except we aren't shrinking. We are growing the 320 fleet by 7 airframes instead of the 12 that was originally planned.

We were originally scheduled for 16 A320's in 2006. We will instead net 11. That's not "shrinking" by any definition, unless you're in Congress.

atafan said:
The New Boeing 737-900ER ?

The 737-900ER is a short-to-medium range twinjet that increases the capability of the Next-Generation 737 family. It was launched on July 18, 2005 , with an order for 30 airplanes from Lion Air. The exterior dimensions of the new 737-900ER are identical to the 737-900. Aerodynamic and structural changes allow the 737-900ER to carry more passengers and fly farther than the 737-900. Entry into service is scheduled for the first half of 2007.
Major Changes
  • An extra pair of exit doors, aft of the wings
  • A two-position tail skid
  • A flat rear pressure bulkhead
  • Wing strengthening changes
  • Enhancements to the leading and trailing edge flap systems
  • Up to two optional auxiliary fuel tanks
  • Optional Blended Winglets
Benefits
  • Carries 26 more passengers than the 737-900, up to 215 passengers in a single-class configuration
  • Flies about 500 nautical miles farther, up to 3,200 nm (5,925 km)
  • Weighs more than 10,000 pounds (4,536 kgs) less than the A321.
  • Has lower operating costs than the A321; about 9 percent lower per trip, and 7 percent lower per seat.

Does it have a RAT/HMG? How big are the engines? Can it take a full load of people (215) and cargo and fly 10 hours? Hope they put a bigger horizontal stab on it, too.

Comments from the SW people at the pilot open house were along the lines of this, growth cannot happen fast enough because they cannot find enough 737's on the market. How long before the 7E7 comes along?

I agree..

GuppyWN said:
Back on topic, I think someone hijacked Boyd's computer. I can't remember a nice thing he has ever said about Southwest.

Gup

I must say, the thought of SWA total domination of domestic air traffic gives me goose bumps. Let the others duke it out for the overwater travelers. We just want the U.S., what's wrong with that?:D

So back to the original topic before it turned into a childish "mine is bigger than yours" discussion. Boyd never mentioned a name, right? Could it be that new LCC carrier that's in the plans? Skybus? something like that, right? I know that an ex SWA chief pilot or ex VP is involved, among others. They are saying that it will bring a new standard to pilot pay. That's right my JB basher friends - you will have a new kid in town to pick on. Why in the world someone would try to start up an airline with these fuel prices is beyond me, but it's happening. My friend was offered a non-pilot position with them, but "it" turned it down.

:beer:

FlyAuburn said:
So back to the original topic before it turned into a childish "mine is bigger than yours" discussion. Boyd never mentioned a name, right? Could it be that new LCC carrier that's in the plans? Skybus? something like that, right? I know that an ex SWA chief pilot or ex VP is involved, among others. They are saying that it will bring a new standard to pilot pay. That's right my JB basher friends - you will have a new kid in town to pick on. Why in the world someone would try to start up an airline with these fuel prices is beyond me, but it's happening. My friend was offered a non-pilot position with them, but "it" turned it down.

:beer:

Please re-read the article. He states it is Southwest plain as day.

Latest resources

Back