• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New WSJ article on awful Pilot Pay in Colgan crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Super that was my thought. She was reacting to a Go-around or a recovery after being in the stall. They were nowhere near either of those.

The flap retraction killed them... if the flaps had been left down the plane wouldn't have departed so violently and they would've had a pretty good chance to pull it out. Right wing down, nose down and airspeed rapidly increasing, they would've had the knots to transition to a nose low unusual attitude... but w/ the flaps coming up all bets were off. The plane rapidly departed and fliped over which doomed them to a bad outcome. When you stall an airplane you don't change configuration until you are coming out of it... end of post.

Tailhookah

PS- I never have said that the CA didn't get them into it... the FO didn't help out and probably doomed the flight to a heinous ending.

The flap retraction killed them... if the flaps had been left down the plane wouldn't have departed so violently and they would've had a pretty good chance to pull it out. Right wing down, nose down and airspeed rapidly increasing, they would've had the knots to transition to a nose low unusual attitude... but w/ the flaps coming up all bets were off. The plane rapidly departed and fliped over which doomed them to a bad outcome. When you stall an airplane you don't change configuration until you are coming out of it... end of post.

Tailhookah

PS- I never have said that the CA didn't get them into it... the FO didn't help out and probably doomed the flight to a heinous ending.

I looked at the animation again. I don't disagree in that the flap retraction lost them a few knots of stall protection but the captain pitched, at one point, to 32 degrees and his airspeed was momentarily in the 70's. He wasn't stopping.

I will bet that while the flap retraction may have aggravated the condition, the investigation will show his technique to be the proximate cause of this accident.

Thanks, just took a closer look at it.

There's a moment where, at 2,000', the airplane goes wings level at a little over 100 kts. There's a SLIM possibility, IF the flaps had still been at 10 (they never got to 15 as commanded, she stopped them at 10 as the shaker actuated just as she put in the flaps), they MIGHT have flown out of it at that point with the pitch and roll angle.

However, with flaps up, 102 kts just wasn't going to stay shiny side up.

I'm sure some Colgan guys are in the sim right this second testing the theory. Duplicate every step including the 90 degree rollover, but leave the flaps at 10 and see if it's recoverable... Even so, real life might have made him overcorrect again or yank it back into a stall even if she'd left the flaps at 10.

We'll just never know, and it's his fault for not powering up after he put the condition levers full forward with the gear down. Thing slowed like a lead sled as soon as he did that and directly caused the dramatic airspeed falloff and stall.

http://ntsb.gov/Events/2009/Buffalo-NY/AnimationDescription.htm
Waiting to take a closer look of the exact timing of the flaps and the roll excursion.

on the youtube version, it shows flaps up at 22:16:36 and the final roll excursion was at :48.

they were in an over 90 aob to the right as the flaps came up, went back 45 to the left, to the right again.

the thing that really sticks out if you watch it a few times is how much nose up pitch the captain held throughout most of the event. 20 and 30 degrees. against the pusher much of the time.

not really sure about the full rudder pedal swings either. they seem to be aggravating the turns.

scary video to watch. not sure this 'flaps up' was the problem discussion is helpful but I think it was tangential to this mishap.

We all know his recovery, or lack of, caused the crash. However, I believe the real culprit here is fatigue. Both of them where dead tired. F/O and Capt. commuted in, and neither of them had any sleep. Compound that with Colgan's horrible QOL and scheduling practices. A long duty day, tricky approach and any one of us would be completely out of it. SA caused this accident. Their lack of SA also crashed this airplane. I hate that it happened but like someone said earlier finally the whole world will see what some of these Regionals put these guys through (Colgan, Mesa, Gulfstream, Great Lakes). I was at ASA and I thought their QOL was pretty bad. To think they were on the higher end of the QOL spectrum when it comes to Regionals. Lack of experience componded with lack of SA will cause an accident. Being tired and experienced (which we have all done at some point) saves our rears sometimes. Inexperienced and tired? This accident has been in the making for years.

Hopefully all this sh** comes to a head. The gov't wants more experienced pilots at the controls? Force minimum compensation to attract more experienced talent. Continue to pay $17-25K a year and all that talent is going to go overseas (Middle East, Asia, etc...)

Until the FAA mandates hiring minimumns of 3000-4000hrs at regionals and the only way to attain that type of experience is compensation, nothing is going to change.

I have never flown this airplane but I can guarantee you guys the glaring problem isn't the retraction of the flaps. The most alarming thing to me is that this captain's reaction to an iminent stall is to pitch 20+ degrees in an effort to correct it. This is basic aviation and stall recovery should be second nature.

If anyone encounters this in the future, simple gouge here: Cram the throttles up to the stops and give up 2-3 degrees. Worry about the trashed engines when you get on the ground.

If this captain had used the correct procedure the flap retraction would have been inconseqential.

They misinterpreted this as an icing tail-plane stall which would have been the correct procedure. After the conversation of heavy icing what would your initial response be.......

Latest resources

Back