"New UAL" jumpseat & business class?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

What's the new "New UA" policy on jumpseaters? United and UA pilots have always been very gracious about upgrading jumpseaters if it's available, while Continental is always the worst. I hope the UA corporate culture wins out on this one..

What's the new "New UA" policy on jumpseaters? United and UA pilots have always been very gracious about upgrading jumpseaters if it's available, while Continental is always the worst. I hope the UA corporate culture wins out on this one..

+1^^^

( I don't have a FC anymore and do miss it- always grateful as a JSer-
From when I did- had continental pilots have the decision in their hands and send me to the back.... Now, I can't b-tch- back then, thought it was lame considering how many FC seats our crews had given to CO crews)

Last edited:
First let me state that I am embarrassed that we (CAL) dont put jumpseaters in Business First.

However, we are specifically prohibited (in most cases) from putting jumpseaters in BF. If anyone has heartburn over a courtesy upgrade the Capt will probably be doing a carpet dance.

Depending on the Capt and the "attitude" of the back end crew some guys will move a jumpseater up but it is a hit or miss proposition.

Hopefully this will change as we complete the merger with UAL. I have already seen some positive operational stuff come over to the CAL side (and some incredibly dumb stuff too).

+1^^^

( I don't have a FC anymore and do miss it- always grateful as a JSer-
From when I did- had continental pilots have the decision in their hands and send me to the back.... Now, I can't b-tch- back then, thought it was lame considering how many FC seats our crews had given to CO crews)

First let me state that I am embarrassed that we (CAL) dont put jumpseaters in Business First.

However, we are specifically prohibited (in most cases) from putting jumpseaters in BF. If anyone has heartburn over a courtesy upgrade the Capt will probably be doing a carpet dance.

Depending on the Capt and the "attitude" of the back end crew some guys will move a jumpseater up but it is a hit or miss proposition.

Hopefully this will change as we complete the merger with UAL. I have already seen some positive operational stuff come over to the CAL side (and some incredibly dumb stuff too).

I can second that!!!! I made the mistake once. First the flight attendants told me I'm not allowed to upgrade the jumpseater then a week or so later my chief gave me a few minutes of his time over something that should be a no brainer. Anyway I digress. The long and short is if the back end is cool there won't be an issue over it and it goes no further. Having said that you are only one SKY NAZI away from coffee with the man. And that's why you are not sitting in that empty first class seat!

Hope it changes!

Not really an issue anymore. Ual will upgrades pax at the drop of a hat domestically so there is never a seat. Internationally first or business is always offered.

In Dec of '09 a CAL crew out of DEL saved my bacon. Coach seat assignment and the flight crew pulled me up to first class—first impressions are everything.

Thank you CAL!

On the subject and to be fair-
Virgin America policy- no non revs in 1st of any kind- airplane can go out full all js's occupied, and open seats in 1st- you'll be left at gate

Latest resources

Back