New TV show about LAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mar said:
She told me that at a party last week he downed five bottles of wine in five hours and then went to work the next morning.
750 mL bottle of wine = ~25 US fluid ounces.

A serving of wine is considered 5oz.

So 5 servings/bottle x 5 bottles = 25 servings in 5 hours.

Per http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp, that calculates to a BAC of over .50, which is usually lethal.

pilotman2105 said:
750 mL bottle of wine = ~25 US fluid ounces.

A serving of wine is considered 5oz.

So 5 servings/bottle x 5 bottles = 25 servings in 5 hours.

Per http://www.intox.com/wheel/drinkwheel.asp, that calculates to a BAC of over .50, which is usually lethal.
That thing is bs..... It says if you drink 12 beers in 5 hours your .161 which is 4 times the amount required to die. I must be the walking dead.

EagleRJ said:
Five bottles of wine in five hours? If I drank that much, I wouldn't be drunk- I'd be Deceased. Seriously, that sounds like a lethal BAC to me!
Must be talking about the regular 750ml bottles - not the 3 liter jugs we get:eek:

rumpletumbler said:
Wouldn't it be more fun if one acutally made it out? Pilot offloads fuel down to about 50,000lbs on 747-400 and does airshow over LAX..etc.
Now THAT would be a good show!!:D

rumpletumbler said:
That thing is bs..... It says if you drink 12 beers in 5 hours your .161 which is 4 times the amount required to die. I must be the walking dead.
.161 is NOT four times the amount required to die... That's only twice the legal limit in most states, and according to what I've read, approximately the level of the average person arrested for a DUI/DWI. I presume that you were thinking that 0.04, not 0.4, is the "comatose or dead" level.

I used the same site, entered 25 glasses of table wine in five hours for a 200lb male, and got .394. Now THAT would be enough to kill, at least in theory.

The only problem with this is that for these "drink tables" a glass of wine is usually considered to be FOUR oz., not five (at least according to the Indiana driver's manual, which I had to study recently to get a DL here). So... 5 bottles of wine is 132 fl oz, and that's 33 glasses of wine...

Plug that back into the site and you get a BAC of .548 (!!!!). Keep in mind that according to the usually accepted version of the "proof" of standard table wine, five bottles of same is going to shoot your BAC above the level of polishing off an entire fifth (also 750ml) of distilled spirits in the same period of time (wine being roughly one fourth as strong, ounce for ounce, as say Bourbon).

I think at this point, most people could be well and truly dead, and if not, certainly passed out. Either way, I think this woman is seriously confused as to what she saw, since the man in question should've been in the hospital.

Your right. Wow...I could drink a case and still be under the comotose limit. haha........ Who will test it with me? We can start later this afternoon.....

and how do you mix alcohol in the same test? I mean if I drink 18 beers how many shots of Captain Morgans can I do? Where is the versatility?

I notice that this page gives a *breath* alcohol content of grams per 210 liters of breath, yet it seems to be the same scale as blood alcohol content which is % by weight ie: 0.08% bac is illegal for driving in most states. are grams/210 liters of breath approximately the same as % blood alcohol content?

Anyway, all this talk about "servings" kinda blurs the picture. If we assume a non-fortified wine with 14% alcohol content (not that fortified stuff the winos drink) a 750 ml bottle contains 3.5 oz of ethanol drinking 5 of these bottles would be have the same amount of ethanol as 1.7 fifths of an 80 proof distilled spirit. Over a bottle and a half of vodka in an evening is some pretty hardcore drinking by any measure.

Ok...so for my weight I'd have to drink 32 beers in 5 hours to be just under the .40 limit of comatose......maybe dead...etc. Thats like .38 or something. Thats a beer every ten minutes for 5 hours. I couldn't do that if I wanted to.

Also just for fun.....if I drank a whole case (24 12oz beers for those not in the know) in 1 hour I would still only be at .335. Thats a beer every two and a half minutes for an hour. Thats a ton of beer. Think of that burp you would have after 60 minutes....haha

Last edited:
Sounds like an old fraternity favorite, which was called "The Century Club" in my experience but goes by other names elsewhere... A shot of beer every minute for a hundred minutes, basically a 12-pack in just over an hour and a half.

Bonus points for "no pi$$ no puke".

Going by the drink wheel, that's 12 beers in 1.7hrs, or basically .20 for a 200lb male.

I don't remember much of what happened after the 90-min point, but I'm told I finished. ;) But I assure you I never attempted it again...

ROFL!

Whaddaya know...a bunch of pilots arguing over the mathmatics of drinking! Why am I not surprised?

Latest resources

Back