• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

New stop loss info out

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's amazing how much I've heard about how short the Air Force is of pilots, and how the services are using stop-loss to keep pilots on board. But when I contacted every unit at March ARB I got the stiff arm, and heard everything from 150% manning to we hire only rated 135/141 pilots. I have no problem with going right back on active duty after the Corps, I just need to permanantly settle down in California so my wife can get her career back on track. If there was a way I could take someone's place, believe me I would.

Side bar: since the Corp's eggs are in the MV-22 basket, we are overstaffed with CH-46E drivers, and there is no future in that platform. Last year they offered only one Rotor-to-KC-130 transition, and now that community is stop lossed too. ANG or AFRes transition is the best option for me, and they aren't making it easy. I'll keep plugging and serve however I can, preferably something that's a win/win/win situation (me/my wife/our country).

If you all don't mind, I would like to clarify why STOP LOSS has been implemented.
As per Title 10 of the US Code, "If US Guard or Reserve units are activated, it is mandatory that all Branches of the Service implement STOP LOSS procedures until it is assessed that the requirement for STOP LOSS is no longer required."

So guess what, On Sept 12 there was call up of Guard and Reserve forces to insure the safety of our nations people. So STOP LOSS automatically went into affect.

But let's get at the real reason we are still in STOP LOSS. Back in 1991-1992 there was a big fight between active and Guard/Reserve forces as to how would lose people and equipment in the massive DRAWDOWN. Well, the Guard/Reserve sold our leaders on the fact that they cost less than Active duty forces in Month-to-Month operations. So the decision was made to have USAF Guard/Reserve provide over 50% of our airlift and 100% of our Conus Air Defense.
So on Sept 11 we found ourselves in need of these assets that were a majority in the Guard/Reserve. And wala, the president signed the order to active them and we went to STOP LOSS.

But now, the active forces are using STOP LOSS as a retention tool to fix the mess they are in during this shortage that was created 10 years ago.

Talk about DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY. A friend of mine is flying T-37 Instructor at Columbus, MS. He went over 23 years in the USAF last summer. He had a retirement date of 1 Dec 01 and had a job with FEDEX waiting for him. They will NOT let him out because of STOP LOSS. But the USAF has let out, and continues to waive STOP LOSS for numerous Capts and Majors how have not completed 20 years, because they are going to Guard and Reserve units (also Airline jobs).

So someone please tell me when the exact # of years it takes to become a team player. It looks to me that if you do a 20 year career you lose team player status and are hung out to dry because they know they have you. But it you quit early while you can, before 20 years, you are treated with team player status and you are taken care of.

This is just another example of why USAF pilots are still trying to jump ship. They see guys with 20+ years still taking it in the rear and they take the opportunity to bail out

Delta Po Boy,
I couldn't have said it better. My unit has just completed a weekend exercise, and I've been too busy to reply. Anyhoo, let me address the squid.

"What I don't agree with is Darth Maul's whinning about the incovenience of the war for his personal situation."

Do you know of any war that "conveniences" people. I don't, so I think we are all "inconvenienced at having to waste our nation's valuable resources (aircraft, personnel, etc). They attacked us though, so we are unfortunately going to have to hurt them for as long as it takes. I was offloading gas when the fight started, so don't think I don't like to say I was a part of the day payback fell on Afghanistan. Funny, I don't remember any Navy HC-130s though.

" Bitchin' and moanin' (and blaming the situation on the President) doesn't accomplish anything and indicates he doesn't understand what's going on."

The President did what he had to do because he was put in a hole by his predecessors. Simple as that. Somebodys got to fight the good fight, so the Stop Loss was the answer. If you knew anything about being an aircrew member, you'd know about the "bitchin and moaning" you profess I'm doing when I share my views. The truth is that Stop Loss will eventually end, and I will eventually be able to go do the other things I had planned a little later...hopefully the paths will still be available. I realize other people have families. However, my life's goals which include my family of course, do not include being in the Air Force for 20 years. Can you appreciate the fact that some people who VOLUNTEERED, can at some point get out. I'm sure you plan on being in as long as they let you stay. Good for you. Like Po Delta said, maybe you will be stop lossed. Heres hopin' for that.

"He needs to get back up there and refuel some F-15E's."

What exactly does that mean? You let me know when you've returned from the fight.

Last edited:
Phrogs4ever,

I know it's frustrating - you hear how short the AF is on pilots, but you can't scare up a Guard job at March. The problem is that the ACTIVE DUTY is short on pilots, not the Guard/Reserves. All the Guard/Reserve units I know have met or exceeded their manning docs, and stop loss (AF Reserve/Guard have stop loss too) keeps guys/gals from getting out - and opening up a slot for you.

To compound your problem, many folks who made a "clean break" from the military found themselves scrounging for a Guard/Reserve job after 11 Sep. One of the guys that went through Delta training with me (prior C-141 guy) ended up getting a job at March a couple of months ago.

For what it's worth - after stop loss is lifted, you shouldn' have a problem getting into one of the units of your choosing. I think there will be a mass exodous from the Reserves/Guard (senior airline guys that don't want to risk losing a nice paycheck by being activated).

Good luck - hopefully an ANG or AFRES job opens up for you.

Opie-thanks for the info. I, for one, did not know there was a correlation between activating Guard/Reserve units and a stop loss.

Delta Po Boy-I sure hope you're right about the old timers giving up the part time flying when they return. I'm in a comfortable position right now since I have another year left until I EAS, but I'm still apprehensive about the future. A lot can happen between now and then. I'm already hearing that the mini-recession is "officially" over. I just wish someone would tell that to my mutual funds. Hopefully the flying markets will pick up as well this summer and we can all get back on the right track.

The writing was on the wall. The Air Force implemented a stop loss even for the Kosovo operations. That was just an operation, not a full blown war. U.S. airlines were in a hiring boom and the economy was robust, thus pilots left the military. Airlines won't be hiring for the next few years and the economy doesn't look so hot now. So guess what, there will be more pilots than cockpits soon. Like the early 90s, only half of my pilot training (UPT) classmates got a cockpit, the rest got a desk job after graduation because there were too many pilots. This "bank" system went on for 3 years. This period of time also saw NAV RIFs. It's an up and down cycle that the military can't seem to match. Therefore, there will always either be too much or not enough staffing.

Right now, the military may be the only secure job for pilots. Another terror attack would devestate this economy.

Army Stop-loss

I cannot speak for any other branch, but the Army put Stop-loss #3, thats right, #3 out. It started on 22 Feb. The message came from DA and then through Guard Bue. down to all active duty and National Guard aviation units. Stop-loss #3 is for the 155 pilots. 155E and 155G. This is C-12, RC-12 (military Intel), UC-35, -7 guys and gals. I do not know who was affected by stop loss #1 & #2, but if your in the guard, the human resources people at your state defense building will show you all the messages. Again, stop-loss #3 is for the active army, reserve and the guard. Waivers from guard bureau CAN be granted on a case by case situation. Those will normaly be a "hardship" issue, and going to work for and airline, more than likely, is not a "hardship" issue in their eyes. This affects me as well as everyone else, and yes, I have been hired by SWA.

The most important thing to me is this. I can put food on the table for my family and a roof over their head and give them medical insurance. Being delayed sucks but the family is #1 in my book, as I am sure it is in yours.

Navigators job on the KC-135

Visceral said:
"He needs to get back up there and refuel some F-15E's."

What exactly does that mean?

After debriefings conducted with AF Blackbird and Spectre aircraft commanders for many long hours in the O’ Club following successful joint ops, it is my understanding that the Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker’s primary mission is air-to-air fuel transfer. What I meant was stop your embarrassing and girlish bitchin’ and moanin’ and get up there to refuel some F-15E’s; which several AF pilots on this board have informed me is the most awesome and versatile weapon of destruction in the entire U.S. arsenal.

After speaking with these AF a/c commanders, I believe I understand why you so desperately want to leave the service. I have been informed that the Navigator's job on the KC-135 aircraft is to bring the senior pilot coffee and be able to read maps. Once he has conquered those skills, he might be let loose on his own to update the pilot's clock to Daylight Saving's Time in the Fall and Eastern Standard Time in the Spring.

Since this job has been done away with on a modern jet (757/767) with a computer board set that fits into a box the size of a small toaster, I guess flying for Southwest Airlines looks like a big step up.

griffin,
you are a frickin dork. go home bit**

Latest resources

Back