• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Visceral

Can you pickup a trip?
Well well,
I just got the good news today via email. My previously approved DOS in June has been cancelled. It is now indefinite! So much for MY plans. My reasons for getting out don't look favorable for a waiver either( I'm not going to a guard or reserve job.) Well, looks like I'll be headed back to prosecute the war in whatever God forsaken land we choose to battle next. Maybe I'll get passed over for Major... Anybody else getting stop lossed but me????

Last edited:
Visceral said:
Anybody else getting stop lossed but me????

Yup. All Army Aviation Warrant Officers in the following MOSs:
152C, OH-6 Scout Pilot
153D, UH-60 Pilot
153E, MH-60 Pilot
154C, CH-47D Pilot
154E, MH-47 Pilot

Or with the following Additional Skill Identifiers:
K4, Special Operations Aviation
K5, MH-60K Pilot
K6, MH-47E Pilot

Same thing... indefinite stop loss. It's really more of the Army's way of suturing a personnel hemorrhage than anything else.... the "War on Terror" just gave them a good excuse to try this heavy handed approach to fix the personnel problems.

I've still got my 6 year ADSO to fly off. Good luck to you.

Cheers,

- Juris

Last edited:
WOOOOOOO!!!

I'm an AH-64 Aviator and that's the first I've heard of a stop loss for 64 drivers. What is the source of your information????

Visceral said:
Well well,
I just got the good news today via email. My previously approved DOS in June has been cancelled. It is now indefinite! So much for MY plans. My reasons for getting out don't look favorable for a waiver either( I'm not going to a guard or reserve job.) Well, looks like I'll be headed back to prosecute the war in whatever God forsaken land we choose to battle next. Maybe I'll get passed over for Major... Anybody else getting stop lossed but me????

Visceral;

I guess you didn't fully understand the part of your commission where it says you serve at the pleasure of the Commander-in-Chief.

Given our current circumstances, the DOD finds themselves at a bit of a manning deficit in critical areas.

Maybe Sec. Powell will figure out a way to attack Cancun or Aruba so you won't be inconvenienced at serving in a country where you don't personally enjoy the climate and locals.

Dave,

It seems like your post is dripping with sarcasm in the end there. In the early 90s, I saw Captains and Majors being forced "OUT" and told "we don't have any work for you, here's 30k, don't call us we'll call you". Manning deficit...no **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**, that's what happens when you RIF your people, cut production at UPT bases in half and close numerous other bases! Today, there's a 1-800 number for prior rated officers to call who want to join again. Don't pull any Duty Honor Country with me either. I have served my country for 8+ years. I have been overseas for half that time away from my family, but I still served proudly...no complaints at all. However, this is an volunteer force, and when George W allows the Air Force to use Stop Loss to instantly solve personnel problems, that is a big problem with me. I've served my time, and now I want to do other things.

The President and the Sec. of Defense are in the postion of being forced to fight an unplanned, major war with a military that has not been properly funded, equipped or manned for the past many years. That is NOT George W's fault. You are paying a small part of the price for those past bad decisions.
I am sorry that you cannot go home to civilian life, but there are people out there that depend on what you do to do their job. Those are the facts and those are the breaks.

Dave,

Here's a few observations I made while reading this thread:

1) If I read your profile correctly, you've been in the Navy for 5 years. Visceral is nearing the completion of his commitment. You two do not share the same point of reference - what is important to him (no stop loss, job opportunities in civilian aviation) may not be what is important to you (increased flight pay, better opportunities for promotion, fresh bread in the box lunches). Listen to his side of the story.

2) I admire your patriotism and I don't question Visceral's. You shouldn't either. He has fulfilled the commitment he signed up for (yes I realize the C in C can keep him longer) and he is ready to move on to another phase of his aviation career. A phase that will hopefully be beneficial to Visceral and his family.

3) Pardon Visceral's jadedness, but he has SUFFERED through inept leadership for much of his AF career (yes, a broad generalization). Like he said, we were around when Clinton/McPeak thought it would be a good idea to downsize - kicking a lot of great pilots out of the AF. Now we are hurting badly for experienced aviators in the active duty AF. If the AF had better managed its people, we would not have such a pilot deficit. The AF was also Clinton's personal travel agent while he went on many "essential" trips during his last two years. I remember counting 11 C-17's and 8 C-5's on the ground in Guam during his 5 day trip to Central Asia (there were probably triple that number in the air, on the ground, and refueling). He abused the system and the people who served under him.

4) The AF was going to be about 1500 pilots short of required manning numbers this year. The horrific events of 11 Sep have forced the AF to stop loss pilots without having to be accountable for this shortage that was foreseeable years ago.

You need to listen to what Visceral has to say (although you may not agree with it). You may find yourself looking at this situation thru his eyes in another 3-4 years.

Delta Po Boy;
Good post and good points. Thanks for a reasoned response.
What I don't agree with is Darth Maul's whinning about the incovenience of the war for his personal situation. You know what, many have been inconvenienced... or worse. That's just the way it goes. No one expected this but we're going to take care of business.
Bitchin' and moanin' (and blaming the situation on the President) doesn't accomplish anything and indicates he doesn't understand what's going on. He needs to get back up there and refuel some F-15E's. Others have families too and they are depending on everyone to do their job so that they all get home in one piece.

roninpilot said:
I'm an AH-64 Aviator and that's the first I've heard of a stop loss for 64 drivers. What is the source of your information????

Whoa... sorry 'bout that. I edited my previous post with the correct information, straight from the Army press release. It's 'hook drivers not Gun drivers that are stop-lossed with us 60 guys.

Again, my apologies for raising your heartrate. Cheers,

- Juris

Latest resources

Back